Join Early Retirement Today

ROTH IRA contribution
Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ROTH IRA contribution

Does anyone know if it is possible/legal to contribute to an (existing) ROTH IRA account by doing an "in kind transfer" of equities from an after-tax brokerage account to the ROTH IRA account? I'd like to not have to liquidate the assets (and so have that tax hit) in order to to max out my ROTH IRA contribution this year.
merlin3942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you should be able to do this. Contact your IRA account firm and get the details from them.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, not legal. You want to avoid the capital gains tax by not selling. Not possible.

If it was possible, I would have been doing this for years and years.

But donate that position to charity instead if it has been held long-term. Get the tax deduction (if you itemize) and avoid long-term cap gains taxes.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have some stocks in a taxable account. Can I use them to fund my Roth IRA instead of using cash? | Investopedia

I think you can do it going the other way (distribution in kind from IRA to taxable) but not the way you wish.

You can do a conversion from a TIRA to a Roth in kind
(a conversion contribution) but not an "original" contribution which needs to be cash.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Sorry, not legal. You want to avoid the capital gains tax by not selling. Not possible.

If it was possible, I would have been doing this for years and years.

But donate that position to charity instead if it has been held long-term. Get the tax deduction (if you itemize) and avoid long-term cap gains taxes.
Could you explain this? There's no cap gains tax for tax deferred holdings. I assume you wound have to pay ordinary income tax on the value and you could have the identical stocks in the Roth, but not sure if this could be done without selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Could you explain this? There's no cap gains tax for tax deferred holdings. I assume you wound have to pay ordinary income tax on the value and you could have the identical stocks in the Roth, but not sure if this could be done without selling.

Never mind. I mis-read OP.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Nope,

Just think, I have a stock I bought for $1 now its worth $100,000.
If I could transfer it in kind to my Roth IRA, then once it was in there, I could sell it all tax free !

Nobody would ever have capital gains, so no it's not allowed.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote