Join Early Retirement Today

Roth IRA for minors
Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roth IRA for minors

I just realized that minors could have their own roth ira accounts as long as they earn the money themselves.

My son is 15 now. He was mowing and shoveling last a few years. I started to pay him 20 since last year at his request. Much cheaper than outside help, . In my understanding, this kind of work is counted as his earning.

Dose any one have the experience to have ira for their kids? how do you document the kids earning for IRS?
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

Recently discussed Funding a child's Roth IRA when they work.

Here's an article too:

https://www.marottaonmoney.com/fund-...-chore-income/
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
gone traveling

After 22 years as self employed, I have never had the IRS ask for proof of income.
I declare my 1099 earnings and pay taxes (income, SS, Medicare). They seem to be happy with that.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

you guys are experts
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sure, have my son's have had Roth IRA accounts since they were 16 years old. And I match any monies that they decide to contribute to their Roths. Show earned income by filing an income tax return following all the rules. Depending on your state, their may be some gotcha's. Like in PA, the threshold for filing a state income tax return is $34.

Only problem we ran into is being able to open a brokerage account for my sons due to minimum investment size, but we worked that out. The next issue was getting my name off the account once he turned 18, the customer reps were of little help. Finally just opened a new account and transferred IRA monies to the new account.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

He will have to pay social security and Medicare on the earnings. Probably won't owe any taxes though. I also believe the total amount contributed cannot be more than his income.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

Those taxes are due if earnings exceed $400 as a contractor. If he works in a family business, those taxes are not applicable.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I was hoping he would be making over $400 since she was going to match it. I'm not sure about the family business.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
He will have to pay social security and Medicare on the earnings. Probably won't owe any taxes though. I also believe the total amount contributed cannot be more than his income.
It might not be bad to have paid SS and Medicare if he intends to retire very early assuming he can earn enough to qualify for a Quarter of Coverage (currently $1360 in earnings in a given quarter).

I wonder if anyone has done a spreadsheet which calculates the break-even period from tax-free Roth growth assuming the initial investment was reduced by SS & Medicare tax & Income Tax vs income obtained outside of the system, i.e. not invested in a Roth but where there was no taxes paid (i.e. under the table or as a gift).
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree. Our 20 something kids have put money in their Roth for years but it was always W-2 income.