Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Roth rollovers: 403b vs 457 vs IRA?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roth rollovers: 403b vs 457 vs IRA?

I FIRE’d this year, so now I’m trying to guesstimate what my income will be for the year and plan a Roth conversion to get it where I want. All my IRA money is already in Roth accounts, so I will convert money from either my 457 (at Nationwide) or 403b (at TIAA-CREF). I think I have the following options:

1. Rollover from 457 to Roth 457
2. Rollover from 457 to Roth IRA
3. Rollover from 403b to Roth 403b
4. Rollover from 403b to Roth IRA.

I’m happy with my fund selection in both plans, so that is not a deciding factor. I read something (https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...-accounts#irr5) that seemed to indicate that in-plan rollovers cannot be recharacterized. Seeing as I’m a complete newbie to this, I think there’s a strong probability I will get it wrong enough that I want the option to recharacterize. So that would seem to argue against options 1 and 3.

Any thoughts on pros/cons to options 2 vs. 4? Or other reasons that 1 or 3 might be the way to go?

I’m 45, single (with 2 kids), and living off my after-tax savings for the foreseeable future (15+ years), if that makes any difference. I find my head spinning trying to guess what my capital gains will be, figure out my “optimal” income, and plan Roth rollovers accordingly…

Thanks!
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!