Join Early Retirement Today

Roth vs. Trad. IRA - Which to withdraw from first.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Roth vs. Trad. IRA - Which to withdraw from first.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been wondering about this for a while...

At 59.5 years old I'll have approximately $60,000 in a traditional IRA; and $30,000 in a Roth. My retirement income at that age, without tapping into the IRA's, will be $27,000 annually. If I need/want to withdraw funds from the IRA accounts, is there a rule of thumb or best practice as to which I should withdraw from first due to the Trad. being taxable, while the Roth is not? i.e. Will I be further ahead depleting the funds from the Roth first before tapping into the traditional? Or is there a scenario where perhaps withdrawing a portiion from both makes sense?

Thank you for your time.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try the ORP calculator, it will give you a withdrawal report for each year showing how much to take from IRA vs Roth.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Try the ORP calculator, it will give you a withdrawal report for each year showing how much to take from IRA vs Roth.
And when you use the calculator make sure it's been given your Social Security estimates, because I'm pretty sure you'll want to use up the traditional IRA before you start drawing SS.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Try this too

TurboTax® TaxCaster - Free Tax Calculator - Free Tax Estimator
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. I will try the calculator.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Generally Roths are withdrawn last to allow tax-free growth for as long as possible. There are exceptions related to current versus future anticipated tax brackets but it's hard to go wrong hanging on to Roths as long as you can.

At least that's my take.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Optimal Retirement Calculator and Retirement Decision Support System is the link to the ORP calculator.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Generally Roths are withdrawn last to allow tax-free growth for as long as possible. There are exceptions related to current versus future anticipated tax brackets but it's hard to go wrong hanging on to Roths as long as you can.

At least that's my take.
I agree with Rich. You don't need ORP, or anything else, to kow that Roth money is privileged money. There is no other tax free money with such freedom of investments that you can choose.

Guard it well.

Ha
Old 10-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

At least that's my take.
And also the question of do you want to leave an estate. If you want to donate your 401k/IRA to charity, its better to leave it that way, because the charity never pays taxes on the balance. The roth is better if you want to leave the 401k to someone else. Note that IMHO the 401k/IRA is the best vehicle to leave something to charity since you escape both the estate tax (if in that bracket) as well as the tax on income in respect of decedent.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
And also the question of do you want to leave an estate. If you want to donate your 401k/IRA to charity, its better to leave it that way, because the charity never pays taxes on the balance. The roth is better if you want to leave the 401k to someone else. Note that IMHO the 401k/IRA is the best vehicle to leave something to charity since you escape both the estate tax (if in that bracket) as well as the tax on income in respect of decedent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but I've been wondering about this for a while...

At 59.5 years old I'll have approximately $60,000 in a traditional IRA; and $30,000 in a Roth. My retirement income at that age, without tapping into the IRA's, will be $27,000 annually. If I need/want to withdraw funds from the IRA accounts, is there a rule of thumb or best practice as to which I should withdraw from first due to the Trad. being taxable, while the Roth is not? i.e. Will I be further ahead depleting the funds from the Roth first before tapping into the traditional? Or is there a scenario where perhaps withdrawing a portiion from both makes sense?

Thank you for your time.
No doubt about it, charitable bequests and gifts are going to be a big factor here...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
From the info we've been given by the OP, I doubt estate tax will rear its ugly head.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #12

My results come out best if I take traditional IRA/401k withdrawals that fill the lower tax bracket and then enough Roth withdrawals to meet my income needs. I imagine this is highly dependent on how close your income is to specific tax brackets and what other income you have. But it is a case where withdrawals from both makes sense. Otherwise, Roth comes out last.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
My results come out best if I take traditional IRA/401k withdrawals that fill the lower tax bracket and then enough Roth withdrawals to meet my income needs. I imagine this is highly dependent on how close your income is to specific tax brackets and what other income you have. But it is a case where withdrawals from both makes sense. Otherwise, Roth comes out last.
I think this is the situation/approach that the ORP calculator uses.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Tax brackets for your traditional IRA (TIRA) withdrawals are the key. If you have the same tax bracket now and later for your TIRA withdrawals, it does not matter whether you get your money from TIRA or Roth. The goal is to minimize the tax bracket at which you withdraw your TIRA money... So, I imagine Animorph's approach is often the best (unless you can also project into the future what your tax bracket will be).
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #15

Fido has a good discussion on their open web page https://news.fidelity.com/news/artic...es&topic=taxes that addresses using Roth funds to help avoid having SS income taxed at higher rates and for higher income folks avoiding the Medicare Surtax.
While the trade-offs may not be something a lot of folks will have to deal with, it is really amazing how complex enjoying your "stash" is getting to be.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #16

As others have pointed out, its all about taxes. A Roth comes in handy keeping taxes low in those years when you may have a large expense like a new car or home repairs. You can also use the Roth funds to reduce how much of your SS is subject to tax. You will have to run a tax simulator to check various scenarios. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all. I appreciate the information.