Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So a restaurant should require financial records to see if you qualify for a 10% discount?
Thank You Terry. The 10% thing is really there to draw seinor business anyway. It's not gonna break the bank. Go somewhere else.
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

Sadly, I must agree. There seems to be a number of people and organizations who thrive on instigating conflict.
There also seems to be a number of people who thrive on becoming outraged at everything.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
There also seems to be a number of people who thrive on becoming outraged at everything.
My mother used to tell me that if I went looking for things to be offended by, I would always find them.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
What's worse is when they look at you and just give it to you without asking.
What is worse is when they automatically give it to me, still a few months short of qualifying, and do not give it to DW, who has to show ID to prove that she qualifies.

On the other hand, having a younger looking wife... why am I complaining??
Old 12-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Senior discounts play no part in my eating, lodging or transportation plans.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #46

I thought it was funny, though it would have been useful if the OP had provided some context. Did you take the picture, Onward, or was it something you found on the internet? Anyway, no need to overthink this. Am guessing it was probably in a restaurant that had a bunch of other equally irreverent jokey signs.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Context was missing. I get it now. Sadly, there's a lot of crap going on out there so anything is believable these days.

The 5 Man Electrical Band had it right.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

WE actually get better deals on the happy hours in restaurants that we can now take advantage of because we are not at work.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #49

I agree with those who think the pic in the OP was meant tongue in cheek.

I also agree that I could have used discounts more when I was in my forties with 2 kids and college tuition in the future.

I always ask for my 10% discount these days and then normally put it in the tip jar (at Dunkin Donuts) or otherwise add it to the tip. That lets me get the discount but lets someone who may need it more get the benefit.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I also agree that I could have used discounts more when I was in my forties with 2 kids and college tuition in the future.
I recall when we were younger with kids afoot, a number of restaurants would have discounts such as kids under a certain age eating free, or a kids menu at a lower price, or a "family buffet" price regardless of the number of kids. DW was good at finding those for us.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #51

Without having some context around why the sign was put up, it's hard to know whether it was intended to be a joke or something else. I think it's funny, but maybe I would think otherwise if I knew more about why it was there in the first place.

I think it makes sense to market to seniors in settings where they can fill demand for business, like restaurants on weekdays for lunch, or time slots for services in the middle of the day when most people are working.
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50
Cause everybody needs it if it cost less to need it.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I ran a restaurant in Pompano Beach, FL back in the 80’s. We had an early bird special for seniors that ended at 5pm. Most of the wise guys would come at 4:45pm so that they could get the discount, having been seated before 5, but eat with the full pricers. It was hilarious. They thought they were pulling one over on us.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

Maybe they should base their discount on the time of day you dine, after happy hour but before the dinner rush (call it "early seating" - not "happy hour"). Isn't that the time most seniors looking for discounts eat anyway?

Keep those tables hopping and the waitstaff busy with revenue and tip potential...

Millenials, et.al. are as welcome as anyone at that time.
gypsydavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #55
gone traveling

Tongue in cheek or not, I think the sign makes a valid point with which I agree.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #56

My DD, 2 granddaughters and I went to the movies today. I told the ticket person that I needed 2 adult and 2 children's tickets. My DD reminded me to say 1 Senior, 1 Adult and 2 children. She asked me how old the youngest child was, 3, and said she was free. I paid and looked at the tickets, 1 Senior, 1 Adult and 1 Child, 9 yrs old and they were all the same price. At least I did not have to pay for the 3 yr old.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

It is true that we have had twice as long to get the money but the government has had twice as long to take it.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The 5 Man Electrical Band had it right.
Yeah...I can't tuck the hair up under my hat and go inside now. I have no hair!!!!!

I'm utraged.

My long time neighbor's girl joined a sorority. They had yearbooks from long ago. Our neighbors found my picture. Lots of hair! They had a good laugh
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Did you take the picture, Onward, or was it something you found on the internet?
I ran across it on the Internet.

I have a feeling it was intended as a joke, if it was ever a real sign at all (Photoshopped?)

Anyway, I find it hilarious because it is, after all, mostly true. It's also a little sad, because many seniors have not accumulated enough to afford even the early-bird salad bar.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I recall when we were younger with kids afoot, a number of restaurants would have discounts such as kids under a certain age eating free, or a kids menu at a lower price, or a "family buffet" price regardless of the number of kids. DW was good at finding those for us.
We avoid eating at restaurants on days that have kids day, and if they have kids eat free everyday, we don't go there.

Don't want to discourage the little ones from running and yelling all over the restaurant.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote