Rude awakening at the early buffet

Without having some context around why the sign was put up, it's hard to know whether it was intended to be a joke or something else. I think it's funny, but maybe I would think otherwise if I knew more about why it was there in the first place.

I think it makes sense to market to seniors in settings where they can fill demand for business, like restaurants on weekdays for lunch, or time slots for services in the middle of the day when most people are working.

And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50

Cause everybody needs it if it cost less to need it.

I ran a restaurant in Pompano Beach, FL back in the 80’s. We had an early bird special for seniors that ended at 5pm. Most of the wise guys would come at 4:45pm so that they could get the discount, having been seated before 5, but eat with the full pricers. It was hilarious. They thought they were pulling one over on us.

Maybe they should base their discount on the time of day you dine, after happy hour but before the dinner rush (call it "early seating" - not "happy hour"). Isn't that the time most seniors looking for discounts eat anyway?

Keep those tables hopping and the waitstaff busy with revenue and tip potential...

Millenials, et.al. are as welcome as anyone at that time.

Tongue in cheek or not, I think the sign makes a valid point with which I agree.

My DD, 2 granddaughters and I went to the movies today. I told the ticket person that I needed 2 adult and 2 children's tickets. My DD reminded me to say 1 Senior, 1 Adult and 2 children. She asked me how old the youngest child was, 3, and said she was free. I paid and looked at the tickets, 1 Senior, 1 Adult and 1 Child, 9 yrs old and they were all the same price. At least I did not have to pay for the 3 yr old.

It is true that we have had twice as long to get the money but the government has had twice as long to take it. :cool:

The 5 Man Electrical Band had it right.

Yeah...I can't tuck the hair up under my hat and go inside now. I have no hair!!!!!

I'm utraged.

My long time neighbor's girl joined a sorority. They had yearbooks from long ago. Our neighbors found my picture. Lots of hair! They had a good laugh :mad::D:D

Did you take the picture, Onward, or was it something you found on the internet?

I ran across it on the Internet. :D

I have a feeling it was intended as a joke, if it was ever a real sign at all (Photoshopped?)

Anyway, I find it hilarious because it is, after all, mostly true. It's also a little sad, because many seniors have not accumulated enough to afford even the early-bird salad bar.

I recall when we were younger with kids afoot, a number of restaurants would have discounts such as kids under a certain age eating free, or a kids menu at a lower price, or a "family buffet" price regardless of the number of kids. DW was good at finding those for us.

We avoid eating at restaurants on days that have kids day, and if they have kids eat free everyday, we don't go there.

Don't want to discourage the little ones from running and yelling all over the restaurant. :facepalm:

You get the senior discount because you're probably "living on a fixed income", unlike all those working joes who can simply go tell the boss "I want to go out to dinner more often, so you'll need to increase my paycheck."

Ultimately this is what gets me.

I’ve seen all those graphs that show the folks in their 50s and 60s are much wealthier as a group than the rest of the population. It’s not spread evenly of course and there are plenty of poor seniors. But the discount versus other age groups always bugged me a bit.

Yep, just a harmless, funny sign....

How about this one? "No kids eat free discount-so don't ask! We have been taxed to death already, supporting your life choices (having kids). The free ride is over!"

"Ha, ha, just a joke" would not cut it. The outrage would be twittered to death, and the restaurant would most likely be boycotted due to "child hating", and for good reason.

Taking a cheap shot at any group is wrong.

Personally, I see senior discounts as a marketing idea. Fill the restaurant up a couple of hours earlier in the day. Or, bring in the shoppers on a slow business day for a discount. No different than "happy hour" or "midnight madness" sales or off season rental rates. Or free meals on your birthday.

How about this one? "No kids eat free discount-so don't ask! We have been taxed to death already, supporting your life choices (having kids). The free ride is over!"

"Ha, ha, just a joke" would not cut it. The outrage would be twittered to death, and the restaurant would most likely be boycotted due to "child hating", and for good reason.

Personally, I see senior discounts as a marketing idea. Fill the restaurant up a couple of hours earlier in the day. Or, bring in the shoppers on a slow business day for a discount. No different than "happy hour" or "midnight madness" sales or off season rental rates. Or free meals on your birthday.

+1 You nailed it.

Nope. It's a World vs Mdlerth thing. Just as I approach being old enough to score the senior discount, they yank it away. Our national pastime isn't baseball, it's goalpost-moving.

My whole life I've watched as no end of privileges and special considerations got ladled out to everybody except me. I've learned to expect it. Today they pull senior discounts; in a few more years they'll partition medicare. When I'm ready to engage SS they'll means test it out of my reach.

But I'm not one to complain... sigh.

Seems I’m in that line too.

Yep, that's the idea.

For healthy choices, it is maybe a bit different, more of an incentive. Like my city's discount for pool access. But as FUEGO and I found, it doesn't work very well. I think if they gave away free access to the pool, it wouldn't help much. And that's a problem because seniors need to get off their butts and move.

Finally, next year when I retire, I am going to use the "living on a fixed income" line sometime when the time is right. As a joke, you know. :)

Older people never retaliate. I mean, what are we gonna do...run the car up on the sidewalk, mutilate a bunch of people, and claim "Oh, I thought I was hitting the brake but I guess it was the gas pedal..." >:D

You get the senior discount because you're probably "living on a fixed income", unlike all those working joes who can simply go tell the boss "I want to go out to dinner more often, so you'll need to increase my paycheck."

Also, senior discounts for food is usually for less food in a restaurant. I appreciate not having such HUGE portions and am happy to pay less too.

If you are running a restaurant with a nominal senior discount, and it is not helping your bottom line, something else is to blame--check the gravy.:facepalm:

For healthy choices, it is maybe a bit different, more of an incentive. Like my city's discount for pool access. But as FUEGO and I found, it doesn't work very well. I think if they gave away free access to the pool, it wouldn't help much. And that's a problem because seniors need to get off their butts and move.

As long as the water is warm (it's usually 83F when I ask :) ) and it's below freezing outside, I'll keep paying full adult price for my admission. Only 23 more years till I can save a buck per visit!

Very little kids fly for free.
Young kids get into movies for free.
Students get student discounts.
Military personnel get discounts (which they totally deserve; god bless them)

I just saw a sign today announcing that students get 5% off everything every day between Sept. 1 and May 30 at a particular vendor in this college town. I don't begrudge them that perk. God knows I used to be a poor student.

Businesses offer discounts for reasons of their bottom line (or to build goodwill with a certain group).

I don't see why I shouldn't take advantage of "senior" discounts when they are offered. It's not like seniors are the only group getting occasional discounts. :confused:

Last edited:
Just another point... seniors do not seem to want to get out as much, so to get that traffic you offer a senior discount... the young do not seem to mind and the place does get some business...

Also, some place around here limits when you can get it... IOW, not during times the place would be filled with full paying customers...

And that’s really the point of all senior discounts. Wealthy seniors ignore them. The ones that need them don’t. Seniors are more likely to think something is overpriced because they have watched the prices rise for many years, and are more likely to not purchase based on too high a price. How many times have you seen people decide to buy because it’s “discounted”? My mother only purchased discounted, and too many times when she didn’t even really need the purchase in te first place. It is effective. Most businesses would still rather have the discounted sale than no sale at all.

About the only senior discounts we use are the ones that are automatic such as groceries on Tuesday at Krogers. Its encoded on the Kroger card, so the discount is automatically subtracted and DW tends then to shop on Tuesday when the store is more empty which is what Kroger wants as well. And then significant ones, such as Business Class rail in Europe, sometimes 1/2 price, are purchased basically with no proof, just via the automated ticket dispenser, or the occasional movie ticket, also via dispenser.

Last edited:
Since it was a buffet restaurant, everybody in the joint was probably over 60.

What?!?!?!
You folks don't think an over 62 couple with a 35 foot luxury motor home should not have a life time pass to the National Parks, while some 40-somethings with two kids who are tent camping should be paying $10-$20 to stay in the park? I am shocked! Shocked!

Ummmm.... I'm sure that the over 62 couple with the 35 foot luxury motor home was once a struggling 40 something with 2 kids.

What people forget is that wealthy seniors have money. They spend that money and don't rely on Gov't. Handouts....i.e..Medicaid. I am sure the 35 foot motor home requires a lot of gas, upkeep, tolls , buying food while traveling ,etc.

Why is it that wealthy people are always demonized in society?

Younger people would do well to pick the brains of wealthy seniors to discover perhaps how some day they too could become a wealthy senior.:wiseone:

I completely agree!

The sign is obnoxious. Hopefully it was only a tasteless (or poorly thought out) joke. If the statement on the sign actually conveys the feelings of management, then they wouldn't get my business.

"Respecting your elders" used to be a thing. At least it was when I was young.

If a company chooses not to offer a discount for any group, that's completely fine. No need to be publicly snotty about it.

Back
Top Bottom