Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Rude awakening at the early buffet
Old 12-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rude awakening at the early buffet

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Is this a Millennial vs. Boomer thing?
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ouch! I have never seen that. Wow. I think a sign like that is enough for me to ignore such a place. You can have the policy, but to put it on a sign like that? Wow.

Looking forward to my City's discount on swim and workout room discounts next year. A huge discount and one that is not taken advantage of enough by the senior population.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Ouch! I have never seen that. Wow. I think a sign like that is enough for me to ignore such a place. You can have the policy, but to put it on a sign like that? Wow.

Looking forward to my City's discount on swim and workout room discounts next year. A huge discount and one that is not taken advantage of enough by the senior population.
Me too...but I feel bad for the 20/30 somethings out in the workforce who pay ridiculous prices while comfortably retired (or soon to be retired) folks with much higher incomes get a big break on the entrance fees.
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm assuming it was done with a touch of humor. Relax.

I also think they have a point, to a degree. Our imprisoned former Governor (Blago, I need to specify which one, as this is in Illinois) was recorded bragging about how "he" got free rides on public transportation for people's grandmothers. Of course, it wasn't his money, but regardless, I don't see how age should determine if someone gets a discount or not. I know some very wealthy elderly people. Why should they get a discount when a struggling college student pays full price (OK, there are a lot od student discounts as well, and some wealthy students!).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It’s a joke. Relax. Age is one area of human differentiation that’s ok to joke about since we will all experience different age brackets in our lives. (As opposed to different races, genders, etc.)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

What?!?!?!
You folks don't think an over 62 couple with a 35 foot luxury motor home should not have a life time pass to the National Parks, while some 40-somethings with two kids who are tent camping should be paying $10-$20 to stay in the park? I am shocked! Shocked!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I see it as yet another attempt to sow discord in the country, one more us vs them line drawn.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
Administrator

Sowing more discord....

At my house one of us gets the senior discount and the other doesn't. Frankly, I'm not sure why one should and one shouldn't. We both use the same amount of space at a movie theater, buy the same gallon of milk, etc. Are senior discounts really good for business?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I see it as yet another attempt to sow discord in the country, one more us vs them line drawn.
+1

Sadly, I must agree. There seems to be a number of people and organizations who thrive on instigating conflict.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Many seniors live on SS only so need the discounts.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Many seniors live on SS only so need the discounts.
And some don't. That's the point - why base a discount on age rather than need?

OK, for a private business it's really an attempt to drum up business (I wonder if it has been well tested?), so they can do whatever they want (hey - left-handed discount day!). But it bugs me when a government does it, I don't have a choice on paying taxes, I have a choice on whether I use a certain restaurant, etc.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

So a restaurant should require financial records to see if you qualify for a 10% discount?
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #14

Haha. I expected that photo just to get a few belly laughs.

What have I wrought?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You know it. Went to the pool near where I think you live at 10 am one morning and DW and I had the entire thing to ourselves. An entire Olympic size swimming pool with just a FUEGO, a Mrs. FUEGO, and 5-6 bored looking lifeguards sitting around. I was like "where all the old ppl at??".

On many subsequent visits I've been accompanied by several grey haired swimmers, so maybe they got the message.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
It's a (sad) thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=no+s...+discount+sign
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm assuming it was done with a touch of humor. Relax.

I also think they have a point, to a degree. Our imprisoned former Governor (Blago, I need to specify which one, as this is in Illinois) was recorded bragging about how "he" got free rides on public transportation for people's grandmothers. Of course, it wasn't his money, but regardless, I don't see how age should determine if someone gets a discount or not. I know some very wealthy elderly people. Why should they get a discount when a struggling college student pays full price (OK, there are a lot od student discounts as well, and some wealthy students!).

-ERD50

Just a point.... most of the rich older folks would not be caught dead on public transportation around here... maybe different up there...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Just another point... seniors do not seem to want to get out as much, so to get that traffic you offer a senior discount... the young do not seem to mind and the place does get some business...

Also, some place around here limits when you can get it... IOW, not during times the place would be filled with full paying customers...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #19

Seniors usually will dine out more and have more disposable income. Businesses compete for that market and will discount in order to get their REPEAT business.

But in the spirit of the sign's obvious humor, I'd reply back to the business that, while we seniors might have had twice as long to get the money, we spent it on their college education only to discover that they only ended up working at a restaurant anyway.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Some days are like that. Even in Australia...
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #20

Some days are like that. Even in Australia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Nope. It's a World vs Mdlerth thing. Just as I approach being old enough to score the senior discount, they yank it away. Our national pastime isn't baseball, it's goalpost-moving.

My whole life I've watched as no end of privileges and special considerations got ladled out to everybody except me. I've learned to expect it. Today they pull senior discounts; in a few more years they'll partition medicare. When I'm ready to engage SS they'll means test it out of my reach.

But I'm not one to complain... sigh.