Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post
Molded fiberglass RV's are the exception. It's crazy how they keep their value.
That is true. A few others do the same. Some airstreams etc. come to mind
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2022, 12:47 AM   #42

Been to a number of RV dealers and shows very recently, looks like there is a sh!t load of trailers available these days at MSRP or lower prices. Probably dont need the chips and batteries that are making cars expensive. Now try to get a Sportsmobile
Old 11-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #43

I just bought a used conversion van so tow vehicle prices will probably drop. Looking for a small trailer so trailer prices will remain high until I over pay for one.

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I just bought a used conversion van so tow vehicle prices will probably drop. Looking for a small trailer so trailer prices will remain high until I over pay for one.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post

Sounds like we were born under the same sign.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

We own a 2010 Casita 17 ft travel trailer. We paid 13k for it 4 years ago, so pre Covid and could probably sell it for that now. Its in like new condition and has always been stored in our garage. I personally would never buy a new RV. This is the perfect trailer for us as its easily towed with our Lexus GX460 and has a full bath/toilet in the front. It's not something I'd fulltime in, but for a weekend or week long trip its great. We like to explore where we camp so having a trailer we can set up as a base camp allows us to drive our truck to explore the area.
mojavesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2018 I was looking to upgrade our gas Itasca 35J to a DP Newmar Dutch Star 4369. A 2016 was 200-225k, 4 yrs later and all those extra miles they are 275-300k for a 2016!
Folks can always ask whatever amount they want, but what are they actually getting? I did sell our Itasca last Sept as it was starting to give me issues, and will just wait it out for sanity to return to prices.
I want a pre covid 2018 or 2019 which are around or over 300k...I'll wait till they hit they low 200s.
Callitaday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:56 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

We ordered a new Coachmen Beyond22C Class B RV in March of last year. After a 10 month delay due to backlogs and shortages we picked it up in January of this year. We’ve put over 6000 miles on it since January and we love it.

It was a lot more money than we wanted to spend but at the time used Class Bs we’re going for more than new ones because of the long delays in production. We were going to wait until retirement to buy one and go full time but we wanted to try out the lifestyle and thought why wait.

My guess is gas prices, interest rates, inflation, and a slowdown in demand will create some great buying opportunities next year. I’d look starting at the end of the summer when people have finished a lot of vacation time.

The industry had an unprecedented boom when COVID hit. Unfortunately for the industry it is highly cyclical. Inventories should rise month to month going through this winter and heating costs might add to the long list of things much more expensive now which will make more people hesitant to buy.

I researched RVs for about three years before buying. At this point I feel like I could sell them. It only takes a handful of questions to at least narrow down the possibilities for potential buyers.

RV parks are crowded and so are national parks. Going at non-peak times or off season helps. We’ve enjoyed exploring several state parks so that has been our focus so far.

I don’t like making that big RV loan payment every month but I sure am enjoying the RV. We’ve even used it for other things I never thought about when I bought it.

For example, my sister in law set up a photo shoot with a photographer for a lot of the family for my young niece and nephew. It was at a park in Raleigh. We took the RV and it was a hot day. Family members were able to get drinks after the photo shoot or use the bathroom. It was great to have it for this event.

RV lifestyle isn’t for everyone. But I recommend giving it a try if you can. We’ve met so many nice people. We met a recently retired couple at a private campground in Georgia and ended up meeting them at a campground in Delaware and having dinner with them. Didn’t know them before starting our RV adventure.

Renting is ridiculously expensive but at least that would let someone try it before committing to buying something. The big question is do you want a towable and if so do you have something capable of towing it. Then it comes down to how many people will typically be traveling, budget, frequency and expected duration of trips and interests. Just know you have to do things like dump your waste which is a turnoff for some people.

Good luck. I hope this helps someone. My only problem with RVing is that I am still working full time and don’t have as much time to do it as I will after I retire. I’d buy our Class B that is built into a Ford Transit van again in a heartbeat.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I would wait until next year. By then, some of the used RVs will have been for sale a while. We have one for sale, and if we'd sold it in the summer, I think it would have sold quickly. But now they seem to be sitting on the lots. NEW RVs are way up in price because of supply chains. If we could find what we want used, we would go that way. We are sizing up a bit to accommodate our granddaughter. Plus I agree about the interest rates. Just like housing, they have put a damper on RV sales.
SDHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We watched too many YouTube videos in 2020 :-)

This resulted in purchasing a new Airstream Basecamp 20X. It was a new model and there wasn't really a used market at the time. I'm calling it our summer cottage on wheels.

This was our third travel trailer.

Warranties are great, but in reality anything you can address yourself is easier than towing to a far away dealer and waiting for parts.

Of course we also had to get a tow vehicle.

Bottom line 2.79% 5 year balloon on the Airstream from the church credit union and 0% 4 year on the truck. All tailored to minimize taxable withdrawals until 2026 when we both go to Medicare.

Investment? No.

Best trip on Route 66 with the highest gas prices ever? Yes. 44 nights 7091 miles and memories are what we bought.

If the Basecamp doesn;t become a family "cottage on wheels", it may hold value better that the others.

I retired early so that we can travel while we can and will gladly "spend our kids inheritance".

I knows it's cheaper to drive a car and stay in hotels, but I've never had Colorado's Clear Creek outside my window and a bunch of interesting people I met at a hotel.

As my brother says "It's a lifestyle".
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a 24-foot Class B all the way back in 1972, while I was in the Air Force. Paid $8K for it, brand new, & it looked like a motorhome, not a van! Wife & kids could use it while I was flying F-4s in Vietnam. Kept it for 18 years, & drove it from California to Florida. I'm sure we stayed in some campgrounds, but I remember just pulling off, into some trees, & just camping.We'd stay in a campground once a week to discharge the black water, get more fresh water, etc., but only long enough to take care of those necessities.

Spent most of our time in Arizona & California, until my new wife got us up to Wyoming & Colorado. Moved to New Orleans, but when the chance came to move to Hawaii, we jumped at it, without the RV. At that time, Hawaii made it illegal to sleep in our motorhome, so that was a no-brainer. Even after 18+ years, our RV was in very-good shape, & we sold it to a surfer couple in Malibu, for the same $8K.

Federal, state, & local governments have totally changed the way RVs can be used, compared to 50 years ago, with rules & regulations out the okole! Not sure I'd buy another one, & not only because we love Hawaii. We occasionally miss the RVing life, but we can never go back to the way it used to be.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I volunteer at a State Park in Virginia and also serve as campground host 2 months a year. It’s amazing how booked up the RV sites are on weekends and how empty the campground is from Sunday afternoon to Friday afternoon. My message to retirees struggling to find a campsite is “Arrive on Sunday and depart on Friday”. Except for holiday weeks, you will most likely be able to get a site even when booking late. Stop competing with working folks for weekend spots!
Canoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:26 PM   #53

We bought an Ibex 23 foot camper spur of the moment this year. We paid around $30,000 for it and already had a Toyota Tundra to pull it. DD and her family were going on a 30 day camping trip and wanted us to join them. We had a good time and many memories were made. The campgrounds were not crowded through the week.

I think that I enjoyed it more than my DH. We toyed with the idea of selling it and figured that we would take a loss. We decided to keep it and make a decision next year. DD has already sold the one that they bought. They bought theirs used and a good deal and sold it for the same amount. They are talking about buying a smaller camper, instead of the 5th Wheel that they had. I will see if I can get DH to go out again late spring and see if we enjoy it by ourselves. If not, then we will have our s-in-l, sell it for us. Hopefully, we will not lose too much money. Either way, at least we got to experience camping and have some good memories from that time.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:38 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I previously mentioned that our 36' fifth wheel stays in a member owned campground in the NE Georgia mountains.

If we kept our trailer at home, we would have 4 state parks, two city parks and a dozen private campgrounds within an hour of our house. TVA and the Corps of Engineers also have a bunch of campgrounds in close proximity.

Just because you are a RVer doesn't necessarily mean you've got to travel far to find great campgrounds. We're just fortunate to have the great Tennessee River running through town--and recreation here abounds.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:26 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All things being equal choose a fiberglass RV. The shell can be repaired at a boatyard that repairs fiberglass boats.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Count me in the camp that recently sold mine for more than I paid for it.

After I totaled up how much I spent on hotel rooms the first couple of years I was Fire'd, I bought a little Coachman Clipper that I could pull behind my Jeep for $11k.

It paid for itself the first year (2016). By early 2021, it was becoming impossible to reserve campsites and inventory was extremely tight. I put mine on Facebook Marketplace for $14k and sold it to the first party that came to see it.

I want to get another one - and I think there will be some really good deals over the next year.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #57

We are in the market for another camper trailer next spring after having had a 21 ft one several years ago. Looking to find a Coachman Apex Nano 187RB. Observations are inventory is WAY up, and prices all over the place, suggesting the market is flattening. There are many, many RV dealers along the main highway where we live in So. NH and their lots are packed now. I am seeing $10k+ price differentials for the exact same trailer we are looking for nationwide indicating that some sellers are trying harder than others.....
Old 11-21-2022, 01:44 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Following
kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by a60dan View Post
Warranties are great, but in reality anything you can address yourself is easier than towing to a far away dealer and waiting for parts.

I agree 100%, But ours is waiting at the dealer for the complete slideout system to be replaced... glad we got the warranty.

I knows it's cheaper to drive a car and stay in hotels, but I've never had Colorado's Clear Creek outside my window and a bunch of interesting people I met at a hotel.
I seen a shirt I want....
" Only camping, is it normal to wander around in your pajamas carrying a bag of dog crap, and strike up a conversation with a total stranger"
Old 11-23-2022, 07:05 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Count me in the camp that recently sold mine for more than I paid for it.

After I totaled up how much I spent on hotel rooms the first couple of years I was Fire'd, I bought a little Coachman Clipper that I could pull behind my Jeep for $11k.

It paid for itself the first year (2016). By early 2021, it was becoming impossible to reserve campsites and inventory was extremely tight. I put mine on Facebook Marketplace for $14k and sold it to the first party that came to see it.

I want to get another one - and I think there will be some really good deals over the next year.
Nice. We got $3k more than we paid for ours as well.
Being patient and picky looking for replacement.