S&P 500 Discussion

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
From today's WSJ

A lightning-fast rebound has driven the S&P 500 up in nine of the past 10 sessions and 7.2% over the past two weeks, the best such stretch of the year.

With bonds and CDs stealing the show these days, it looks like our old friend, the S&P 500 wants some attention. I haven't been putting new outside money into it, but I have been reinvesting dividends. Never a dull moment in the financial markets. We'll see what happens.

Your post reminded me of the graphic on last week's The Economist cover:

38349-albums263-picture2870.jpg

Yes. We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't understand the need to discuss the returns of any investment over a 2 week period.

I'd call it noise, but it doesn't even qualify as that.

The so called "lightening fast rebound" just validates the importance staying put in the market as opposed to trying to time it.

It did break the 3 month downtrend. No predictions.

From today's WSJ

With bonds and CDs stealing the show these days, it looks like our old friend, the S&P 500 wants some attention. I haven't been putting new outside money into it, but I have been reinvesting dividends. Never a dull moment in the financial markets. We'll see what happens.
It's an early warning indicator of Santa's Revival coming back to town?

Definitely not noise. Sounds more like a distant jingling of bells that's getting louder.

But seriously, it appears decent for the growth companies. https://finviz.com/map.ashx?t=sec&st=w4

The so called "lightening fast rebound" just validates the importance staying put in the market as opposed to trying to time it.

Not only staying put in the market, but to not chase any one daily high performer, for another one will certainly replace the first as the high performer. Hindsight is not a plan.

I don't know of any emoji to use of a dog chasing its tail.

It's an early warning indicator of Santa's Revival coming back to town?

Definitely not noise. Sounds more like a distant jingling of bells that's getting louder.

But seriously, it appears decent for the growth companies. https://finviz.com/map.ashx?t=sec&st=w4

Perhaps Santa came a bit early. The S&P is up almost 21% in 2023. Over 9% just last month. Granted it's short term, but, it's not bad given our return to more historically normal interest rates.

Lightning fast rebound - it was just waiting fo the Fed to indicate rate raising was done.

I don't understand the need to discuss the returns of any investment over a 2 week period.

2 weeks of returns is noise. 20%+ ytd gets my attention.

My Roth is 100% S&P500 so I look like a genius this year..... not so much last year. Staying in the market has paid off long term and not using hindsight to change gears.

Based on NAV, SP500 is up 18% this year and the equal weight SP500 ETF RSP is up 7% this year - much of that increase also happened in November. I’m very happy with both of those increases.

Perhaps Santa came a bit early. The S&P is up almost 21% in 2023. Over 9% just last month. Granted it's short term, but, it's not bad given our return to more historically normal interest rates.
A lot happened in 2 weeks, yes!

I think the Grinch is now lurking, and will have something to say after year-end earnings.
:D

I never look at historical returns. It isn't like I have a wayback machine to take advantage.

FYI, Yesterday, the S&P hit its highest point since March of 2022, and it’s current high for 2023.

FYI, Yesterday, the S&P hit its highest point since March of 2022, and it’s current high for 2023.

Still slightly below where it was 2 years ago, though.

If you include dividends, it's just about equal to Dec 2021.

The last bear is in the can!

From another thread:
The S&P500 just crossed its all time high today. It peaked at 4818.62 on 1/4/22 and I see 4818.70 listed as today’s high so far.

ETA: trading above 4820 now. I won’t say it! :hide:

Closed at 4839.81, close to today’s all time high of 4842.07.

A month or so back, I set up a few sell limit orders to clean up my portfolio a bit (in my boredom/excitement during/after the COVID crash, I bought a variety of non-core ETFs/stocks). When I sell, since it's not a rush, I typically set the limit price to something a bit high (say, 5-10% above then-current prices) then just let it sit until expiration or execution.

With the recent run-up of the markets, I woke up this morning to a notification of one of them actually executing! It's always a happy little surprise when that happens. Depending on the lot, ends up being a 30-35% gain over the last 2-2.5 years. Nothing incredibly spectacular (roughly comparable to the S&P500), but I'll take it!

Of course, I also have some losses from the same period (bad bets... oops) that I'm overdue to offload... So I can offset the gains & probably make it roughly net neutral for taxes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom