Join Early Retirement Today

S&P 500 Question
Old 02-11-2024, 06:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

S&P 500 Question

Simple question: Is the S&P 500 one of the best long term (10 years or more) mutual funds you can buy? Yes, I know no one has a crystal ball, but I am sure some of you have educated opinions and they are welcome and appreciated.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2024, 06:30 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is like saying the US dollar is the best currency in the world. It is until it isn't.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM   #3

I would dollar cost average in a SP500 fund, considering we just had an all time high
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:08 PM   #4

If you are interested in an S&P500 fund, consider going with an ETF or index fund as opposed to a mutual fund- much lower fees. Take a look at SPY or VOO
Old 02-11-2024, 08:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many S&P 500 index funds are super low cost, so no concerns compared to ETFs. Fidelity, Vanguard offer extremely low cost versions. Also the Vanguard index funds are just as tax efficient as their equivalent ETFs. The Fidelity index funds only slightly less tax efficient.

The S&P500 is an index commonly used as a benchmark by mutual funds. It is a collection of mostly the largest public companies and is a large growth index. Historically it has been quite difficult to beat over very long periods of time such as decades. It also can be quite volatile.

The S&P 500 is not in itself a mutual fund, but several fund companies have created index funds that track the index very closely.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:00 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

QQQ is also a good index ETF...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You can do a lot worse than the S&P 500. IMO, you can do a little bit better with a total USA stock market index fund. But,we are splitting hairs. Just keep the fund fees as low as possible. And be long term, of course.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
You can do a lot worse than the S&P 500. IMO, you can do a little bit better with a total USA stock market index fund. But,we are splitting hairs. Just keep the fund fees as low as possible. And be long term, of course.
+1

Read "Winning the Losers' Game" by Charles Ellis, latest edition.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:29 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post

Too tech heavy for general holding...

I own some to boost my tech but it is not that much of portfolio...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:42 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaJim57 View Post
Simple question: Is the S&P 500 one of the best long term (10 years or more) mutual funds you can buy? Yes, I know no one has a crystal ball, but I am sure some of you have educated opinions and they are welcome and appreciated.
What is your definition of "best"?
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
My ole man has made a mint on QQQ.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Simple answer: Yes. It is one of the best, IMO. The Dow is another. These are what are followed in TV and Radio news reports daily. If you follow these daily reports, then having them as your investments is not a bad thing.

That said, an individual's financial situation and goals should be considered in any investment choices. On a personal note, I am heavily invested in IVV, an SP500 ETF. YMMV.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Past performance is not indicative of future results, but you could use a tool like Portfolio Visualizer to compare the long term growth of the S&P 500 to other funds over the years to get an idea of how it compares.

For me, I started dollar cost averaging into the the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund in 1997, as my primary fund, and it was one of the best simple financial decisions I made.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:47 AM   #14

I think it's one of the best because it's continually propped up by 401k influxes. Fresh new cash coming in every pay day is like an upward breeze. Sure, as storms come through, there will be lift and sink associated with the weather, but there aren't many places with the benefit of that gentle updraft.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding my experience with SPY-like investments.....

This is from my Google Sheets for VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral Shares, functional equivalent of SPY-like funds) with .04% expense ratio. Not sure how well it will render, sorry in advance if you can't see it. In my case I had $1.2M DCA (dollar cost average contributions) $100K/month for 12 months beginning May 2022. The yellow line is $1.2M cash starting value (like the basis) and the red line is the value on a given day.

Notice Sept/Oct 2022 was not good for the market and the $1.2M went under water for a time being, same for Dec/Jan 2022/2023 and another little dip in Mar 2023. It also took a big dump in Sept 2023 so this is not for the faint of heart if you're watching your net worth whipsawing up and down like this.

As of late last week the $1.2M is at about $1.57M, a little over 30% gain in 21 months. I'm willing to take the risk associated with equities but this should be a lesson to anyone who is risk averse and cannot stand this type of fluctuation. In the long run this is probably going to be all good for me (I say probably because nobody can predict the future).

This graph self-populates using Google's GOOGLEFINANCE() function built into sheets. For propeller-heads interested the function looks something like this:

=INDEX((GOOGLEFINANCE("vfiax","price",A634)),2,2)

Where A634 is the Date entry I have in column A row 634 of the cell. Each cell in column A is just a date that increments every row. By the way, I'm not an Excel power user or anything like that. I'm all self-taught on Google Sheets only. I don't like using Microsoft Office at all.
Attached Images
File Type: png Value at Close vs. Date.png (53.7 KB, 27 views)
Route246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
Regarding my experience with SPY-like investments.....

This is from my Google Sheets for VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral Shares, functional equivalent of SPY-like funds) with .04% expense ratio. Not sure how well it will render, sorry in advance if you can't see it. In my case I had $1.2M DCA (dollar cost average contributions) $100K/month for 12 months beginning May 2022. The yellow line is $1.2M cash starting value (like the basis) and the red line is the value on a given day.

Notice Sept/Oct 2022 was not good for the market and the $1.2M went under water for a time being, same for Dec/Jan 2022/2023 and another little dip in Mar 2023. It also took a big dump in Sept 2023 so this is not for the faint of heart if you're watching your net worth whipsawing up and down like this.

As of late last week the $1.2M is at about $1.57M, a little over 30% gain in 21 months. I'm willing to take the risk associated with equities but this should be a lesson to anyone who is risk averse and cannot stand this type of fluctuation. In the long run this is probably going to be all good for me (I say probably because nobody can predict the future).

This graph self-populates using Google's GOOGLEFINANCE() function built into sheets. For propeller-heads interested the function looks something like this:

=INDEX((GOOGLEFINANCE("vfiax","price",A634)),2,2)

Where A634 is the Date entry I have in column A row 634 of the cell. Each cell in column A is just a date that increments every row. By the way, I'm not an Excel power user or anything like that. I'm all self-taught on Google Sheets only. I don't like using Microsoft Office at all.
Can you provide a copy of the Google sheet.
G-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Simple answer to your question.

Yes.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Simple answer to your question.

Yes.
To add to the simple answer:

Per Warren Buffett:

Quote:
"Consistently buy an S&P 500 low-cost index fund," Buffett said in 2017. "Keep buying it through thick and thin and especially through thin."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warre...71038252.html#
Old 02-13-2024, 12:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Many S&P 500 index funds are super low cost, so no concerns compared to ETFs. Fidelity, Vanguard offer extremely low cost versions. Also the Vanguard index funds are just as tax efficient as their equivalent ETFs. The Fidelity index funds only slightly less tax efficient.

The S&P500 is an index commonly used as a benchmark by mutual funds. It is a collection of mostly the largest public companies and is a large growth index. Historically it has been quite difficult to beat over very long periods of time such as decades. It also can be quite volatile.

The S&P 500 is not in itself a mutual fund, but several fund companies have created index funds that track the index very closely.

Well said. Mine is currently at Vanguard. Costs are almost inconsequential and I can see "performance" of the index just about any time of the day on TV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:39 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me copy it to a burner account and I’ll share it.
Route246 is offline   Reply With Quote