Join Early Retirement Today

Safe Harbor for cash
Old 03-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Safe Harbor for cash

Just had a sizable CD mature and roll over into my FIDO MM (FDRXX) sweep account. Any suggestions ? Although my 50/50 AA looks more like 40/60 I'm not quite ready to dive back into equities until the covid-19 event shakes out. Don't need the money for living expenses and not really comfortable leaving it in the sweep account for the short term. Appreciate any and all advice in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Treasury only money market fund, go find a CD special at a bank or CU, folding money?

- Kay, Man in Black
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Just had a sizable CD mature and roll over into my FIDO MM sweep account. Any suggestions ? Although my 50/50 AA looks more like 40/60 I'm not quite ready to dive back into equities until the covid-19 event shakes out. Don't need the money for living expenses and not really comfortable leaving it in the sweep account for the short term. Appreciate any and all advice in advance.
For Fidelity - FUAMX. Intermediate Treasuries. No fee. About the only instrument up YTD besides a CD.

IMHO - I think states will have a hard time covering CDs or that early cash out will be a big haircut if there is a wave of bankruptcies or liquidity lockup.
DW and I are 59/58. FIRE August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 4% cash and 56% Short Bond fund.
atmsmshr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just had a sizable CD mature and roll over into my FIDO MM sweep account. Any suggestions ? Although my 50/50 AA looks more like 40/60 I'm not quite ready to dive back into equities until the covid-19 event shakes out. Don't need the money for living expenses and not really comfortable leaving it in the sweep account for the short term. Appreciate any and all advice in advance.
I use Ally Bank no penalty CDs for holding short term cash. Transfers to and from brokerage are easy and quick once you have a link set up.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #5

From a 10,000 foot level, if the safety of this money is paramount then I see two options.

#1) US Treasury securities if liquidity is needed

#2) CD (bank or brokered) if liquidity is not needed.

Everything else is an implementation detail and left as an exercise for others.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
For Fidelity - FUAMX. Intermediate Treasuries. No fee. About the only instrument up YTD besides a CD.

IMHO - I think states will have a hard time covering CDs or that early cash out will be a big haircut if there is a wave of bankruptcies or liquidity lockup.
FUAMX is a bond fund, not a MM/cash fund.

States are not responsible for covering CDs. FDIC is Federal. Just respect the limits per institution.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

coffee can buried in the back yard
Foghorn Leghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #8

Agree with Brewer. Treasuries-only MM fund or CD's/high yield savings with a reputable bank. Any Treasury MM fund that is not Treasuries-only is trying to goose the yield with repo agreements and the like. Musical chairs in this environment. I like VUSXX.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
FUAMX is a bond fund, not a MM/cash fund.

States are not responsible for covering CDs. FDIC is Federal. Just respect the limits per institution.
Related to Brewer's comment about Treasury only MM, do you feel that the Fidelity MM FZDXX is not totally safe and can break the buck?
Old 03-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Related to Brewer's comment about Treasury only MM, do you feel that the Fidelity MM FZDXX is not totally safe and can break the buck?
I'll add the same question about FIDO's MM, FDRXX safety ?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
That is a prime money market fund, so it doesnít have as many protections as a govt MM fund, and is subject to more restrictions during times of stress.

As to breaking the buck- they have done major reform on retail MM funds and it does actually float at the 4th decimal place. I canít speak to risks - above my paygrade.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll add the same question about FIDO's MM, FDRXX safety ?
This one is govt cash reserves - govt only short term funds. So safer than FZDXX and has less trading restrictions in times of stress. But beyond that I can’t say because it’s above my pay grade.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #13

Why not cut out the middle man and just buy govvies direct? Bills, notes, and bonds are easy to buy through most brokerages and, bought on the auction, fees are negligible.

Agencies are probably also easy but I have never done anything with them and don't know how frequently auctions are held. I think they typically yield a few extra bps; your favorite bond desk can educate you.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

FDIC insured yield savings accounts are still yielding way more than treasury bills at the moment, and are very liquid. You still have to deal with waiting for bills/notes to mature before accessing those funds, or deal with selling on the secondary market.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
You are correct - thank you.
DW and I are 59/58. FIRE August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 4% cash and 56% Short Bond fund.
atmsmshr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Why not cut out the middle man and just buy govvies direct? Bills, notes, and bonds are easy to buy through most brokerages and, bought on the auction, fees are negligible.

Agencies are probably also easy but I have never done anything with them and don't know how frequently auctions are held. I think they typically yield a few extra bps; your favorite bond desk can educate you.
I have bought bills and bonds in the weekly treasury auctions before, but at the moment I just want a temporary holding pen for dollars before they are deployed elsewhere. A money market makes this convenient. Since it isn't likely I will earn more than a nominal yield either way, I will go for ease of use.

- Kay, Man in Black
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
FDIC insured yield savings accounts are still yielding way more than treasury bills at the moment, and are very liquid. You still have to deal with waiting for bills/notes to mature before accessing those funds, or deal with selling on the secondary market.
Agreed. I went the old fashion route of just opening up new savings accounts online with (5) different banks and will stay under joint account FDIC limits. I'll leave some in VUSXX as well.

This is a very safe and very liquid scenario for me to wait this out. I am not worried about a return right now, just want to keep my powder dry and have (5) years of cash I can live off of.
SeattleRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
I don't think there is any security more liquid than a govvie. Selling is as easy as entering the order and you will take a much smaller haircut than when selling a CD.

But the answer is to plan cash flows so you don't have to sell and to keep a little cash if necessary as insurance against selling.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is a prime money market fund, so it doesnít have as many protections as a govt MM fund, and is subject to more restrictions during times of stress.

As to breaking the buck- they have done major reform on retail MM funds and it does actually float at the 4th decimal place. I canít speak to risks - above my paygrade.
Thanks.
It looks like the MM Treasury fund at Fidelity which would qualify is FDLXX, but not sure of the current yield, as they only post the 7 day yield from 02/29 which is now way outdated.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use SPAXX treasury MM by fidelity

capjak is online now   Reply With Quote