Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

michael, if you read UP's response, he correctly referred to the FA as one you met with, not as your FA.

No one has inferred that you have an FA since you clarified that you don't have one in post#9 so I'm not sure why you are going postal on this.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelc View Post
Again guys, I DO NOT have a FA! I only did a complementary meeting with him for some advise! They are a well known, respected fiduciary firm out of both Philly and NYC. I am NOT paying a FA.
Got it. If we knew where Roth is held, would be simple to recommend something else.
It's ok.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Referring to a FA I just met with for advice as "an idiot" is not necessary, but ok, I understand.

target2019, my ROTH is held directly with T Rowe Price, just the one fund, Capital Appreciation.
michaelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Referring to a FA I just met with for advice as "an idiot" is not necessary, but ok, I understand.
Ok, I'll amend it if it makes your feel better... the FA is not an idiot... but his/her advice was idiotic. Feel better?

Old 02-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

pb4uski,

That's fine, I just dont want to get off to a bad start in this forum. We all have different opinions.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Might be too late. Postal post #20 didn't help your cause.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #27

Quote:
I just dont want to get off to a bad start in this forum. We all have different opinions.
Not to worry. The majority of members here are DIY investors, but there is a sizable minority who do use FAs for various reasons. So you'll hear both sides.

As for the abbreviations, we use them a lot. Here is a pretty good list:

Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum
Old 02-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

@michaelc, a few thoughts:

Your fund, PRWCX, has really not produced "amazing" results. According to Schwab's analysis tools, $10,000 invested 10 years ago has grown to $31,500. The same $10K, invested in the S&P 500 would have grown to $36,982. (I am not sure if they are comparing to the index or to an S&P index fund. If the former, then a fund would not have delivered the full $36,982 but it would be very close. The problem with PRWCX is probably that its bonds are holding down performance. Preferences and risk tolerance vary, but at your age and with your 10 year horizon I think 100% equities is likely to win the horse race.

It is important to understand what "diversification" means when discussing equities. The basic idea is that stocks zig and zag in a pseudo-random fashion. So if you buy enough of them, like over 100, the zigs and zags will cancel each other out. The academics would say this: "You have diversified away individual stock risk, leaving only market risk, which cannot be diversified away in an equity portfolio." IMO 100 stocks is a hopelessly large number for a retail investor to deal with, so the answer for us little guys is to buy total market funds. A US total market fund might hold 3,500 stocks where a total international market fund (VTWAX for example) holds 7,400.

As far as selecting just one fund that IMO there is not a clear choice. For DW and me, the one fund is VTWAX but zero home country bias is a bit unusual around here. Most posters seem to want some home country bias, so I think 30% international is more common. To do 30% international will take two low fee funds, 70% in a total US market fund and 30% in an total international fund. (There are several of each to choose from.) Here is quite a good video on the home country bias question: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/v...home-bias.aspx Here is a Vanguard paper which shows 30-40% international as the sweet spot for minimum volatility: https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGGEB.pdf (NB I would not say that minimum volatility is a good goal for you, though. What you want as a saver is a few good market corrections between now and retirement; that's when stocks go on sale and your money buys more.)

Finally, when looking at your portfolio for AA or diversification you should really be looking at the whole thing, taxable, IRA, and Roth. Once you have that sorted, there are some tactical income tax decisions about which assets to hold in which account. This group can help you with that too.

(FYI is group is strongly oriented to, maybe even obsessed with, FA bashing. Don't worry about it or take it personally.)
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Oldshooter,

Thanks for taking the time with you lengthy response.. I will review the videos.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
@michaelc, a few thoughts:

Your fund, PRWCX, has really not produced "amazing" results. According to Schwab's analysis tools, $10,000 invested 10 years ago has grown to $31,500. The same $10K, invested in the S&P 500 would have grown to $36,982. (I am not sure if they are comparing to the index or to an S&P index fund. If the former, then a fund would not have delivered the full $36,982 but it would be very close. The problem with PRWCX is probably that its bonds are holding down performance. Preferences and risk tolerance vary, but at your age and with your 10 year horizon I think 100% equities is likely to win the horse race. ....
OldShooter,.

Are we looking at the same thread? OP is 57 and your're recommending 100% equities? I concede that the OP has a 10 year runway, but even so, 100% equities seems too aggressive to me in that situation.

Also, you're comparing PRWCX to an equity index fund when PRWCX is ~55/45 seems like comparing apples and oranges. PRWCX compares very favorably to a conventional 60/40 index portfolio.... see post #16.

Finally, we don't know the OPs overall AA.... we just know that the PRWCX/Roth is 19%.... so if his tax-deferred is all equities then his overall AA would be about 91/9.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Im about 60% equities, 40% fixed in my 403(b).
Old 02-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Are we looking at the same thread? OP is 57 and your're recommending 100% equities? I concede that the OP has a 10 year runway, but even so, 100% equities seems too aggressive to me in that situation.
Well, different strokes for different folks. We were close to 100% equities until we actually retired. But that's why I said "Preferences and risk tolerance vary ... "

Quote:
Also, you're comparing PRWCX to an equity index fund when PRWCX is ~55/45 seems like comparing apples and oranges. PRWCX compares very favorably to a conventional 60/40 index portfolio.... see post #16.
Yup. Guilty again. And back to the 100% recommendation. Dragging all those bonds like a boat anchor seems silly to me.

Quote:
Finally, we don't know the OPs overall AA.... we just know that the PRWCX/Roth is 19%.... so if his tax-deferred is all equities then his overall AA would be about 91/9.
And if it is all bonds? Both are irrelevant hypotheticals. As you say, we don't know. But of course that never stops this group. That's why I encouraged him to look at his big picture and not just at the Roth.

It's a little bit heretical, but I don't think that volatility equals risk during the accumulation phase. If anything, volatility may be an advantage to the extent that the investor has chances to buy stocks on sale. Dollar cost averaging basically does this automatically for him/her. At some point a retiring investor needs to dampen volatility because it starts to look like SORR. That's the point where a fixed income tranche is needed.

IMO the main risk for an individual in the accumulation phase is to miss out on gains because he/she is afraid of equity volatility when, actually, it doesn't matter a whit.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have high risk tolerance and I’m 5 years younger than you, but I am really comfortable with the Wellesley fund. I do not suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out) syndrome, nor am I a devout follower of the pervasive Greed is Good mentality. I sleep well at night, I’m happy and don’t really need much more than what I already have. I would absolutely be crushed mentally by a severe market crash were one to happen and If I was more exposed to stocks. I would rather make little than lose most of what I have worked for my whole life if things went really bad and didn’t recover. I also don’t fully trust these manipulated markets, but I really have always been somewhat suspicious of the markets...it runs in the family genes.

My best advice for you is to go with an asset allocation that you are comfortable with, in good times and in bad. Staying the course can sometimes be your best approach as long as you are meeting your financial and quality of life goals.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Im about 60% equities, 40% fixed in my 403(b).
You should be looking at your portfolio as a whole, not individual accounts.

Did you read the Bogleheads investing startup kit page?
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

target2019, my ROTH is held directly with T Rowe Price, just the one fund, Capital Appreciation.
michaelc,
1. Have you put all of the investments into an analysis, so you can see what the overall A/A is? That is where your first look should be.
2. Expense ratio of PRWCX is too high (.71) to hold for a long time. Most will tap TAXABLE, TAX-DEFERRED, ROTH, in that order. So you're speaking of ROTH, and I see that getting tapped in more than ten years. So you might consider something more frothy than PRWCX.
3. PRWCX only has 210 holdings, and is actively managed according to some secret formula. Are you okay with a 40% drop in the fund as in 2009 period? That is what I see when I look back.
4. If you read the various links posted by others, you'll get a better understanding of risk and protection.
5. Myself, I'd use a low expense ratio S&P 500 fund. Maybe:
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/preix/quote
6. Do you have access to other ETFs or Funds without sales charge?

Afterthought:
https://www.schwab.com/resource-cent...-asset-classes
Nice intro to asset classes.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Target2019,

Thanks, but I dont know where you are seeing PRWCX was down 40% in 2008/2009. According to Yahoo Finance, is was only down 27.17% in 2008.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
2. Expense ratio of PRWCX is too high (.71) to hold for a long time.
Excellent point.
See https://humbledollar.com/2020/02/counting-the-costs/ for a short article talking about costs.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have high risk tolerance and I’m 5 years younger than you, but I am really comfortable with the Wellesley fund. I do not suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out) syndrome, nor am I a devout follower of the pervasive Greed is Good mentality. I sleep well at night, I’m happy and don’t really need much more than what I already have. I would absolutely be crushed mentally by a severe market crash were one to happen and If I was more exposed to stocks. I would rather make little than lose most of what I have worked for my whole life if things went really bad and didn’t recover. I also don’t fully trust these manipulated markets, but I really have always been somewhat suspicious of the markets...it runs in the family genes.

My best advice for you is to go with an asset allocation that you are comfortable with, in good times and in bad. Staying the course can sometimes be your best approach as long as you are meeting your financial and quality of life goals.
@michaelc, this post is good counterpoint to mine. While I would encourage you to not let fear drive your investing it is equally valid, as @kjpliny suggests, to trade some volatility for adequate peace of mind.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

davebarnes,

Interesting article. I always thoughts PRWCX's ER was borderline high for my liking.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Target2019,

Thanks, but I dont know where you are seeing PRWCX was down 40% in 2008/2009. According to Yahoo Finance, is was only down 27.17% in 2008.
-27.17% is right for PRWCX for 2008 per Portfolio Visualizer but I suspect that targt was looking at a longer period.

I look at peak to trough. Peak was Oct 2007 and bottom was Feb 2009.

PRWCX declined ~36%.... close to the 40% target mentioned.

For the same period VTSAX declined ~50%.

Wellington was down 32% so pretty close to PRWCX.... I'd say that given it's AA that PRWCX performed admirably.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...ocation3_3=100