Join Early Retirement Today

Samurai Says: 1/2% SWR...
Old 08-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Samurai Says: 1/2% SWR...

When Financial Samurai wants to draw attention to his website, he un-ERs, or sets his hair on fire -- or cuts the 4% SWR by a factor of eight, to .5%.

Yes, Financial Samurai has pronounced that .5% is the new safe withdrawal rate. He bases it on the 10-year bond yield in 1998 (year of Trinity Study) vs. 10-year bond yield now:

Quote:
In 1998, the 10-year bond yield was between 4.41% to 5.6%. Let’s say the average 10-year yield rate was 5% in 1998.

Therefore, of course you’d likely never run out of money in retirement following the 4 percent rule. Back then, you could earn 1 percent more on average risk-free! ...

With the 10-year bond yield [currently] at ~0.7%, a safe withdrawal rate is actually closer to 0.5% – 0.63%. ...

Thanks to a steady decline in interest rates, [the] 4 percent rule from 1998 has declined by over 85%. In other words, we should change the name of the 4 percent rule to the 0.5 percent rule. ...

Following the 0.5 percent rule to obtain financial independence is difficult. For example, I’ve challenged myself to generate $300,000 a year in passive income. The goal of $300,000 has been carefully calculated to pay for between $150,000 – $200,000 a year in after-tax expenses.

Therefore, in order to proclaim true financial independence using the 0.5 percent rule, I would need to amass a net worth of between $30 – $40 million.
At first, apart from guffawing, I ventured to guess that Financial Samurai was referring to someone who had a 100% bond portfolio. But in response to a comment, he noted:

Quote:
The new 0.5 percent rule takes into consideration lower structural returns in stocks and real estate. And this includes a 60/40 or 50/50 portfolio.
Read it and weep:

https://www.financialsamurai.com/pro...thdrawal-rate/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So he wants to live more than (checks notes, 1/0.5%) 200 years?
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Out-to-Lunch: It could happen!
Old 08-15-2020, 11:38 PM   #4

Clickbait expert.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know any samauai. I do have a couple of swords though.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:34 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
What a knucklehead.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes clickbait. The Trinity study didn't just analyze the 10 year rate ONLY in 1998...
Old 08-16-2020, 05:53 AM   #8

I thought there was an “expert” that believes you should never retire? So 0.0 is the new SWR?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish him luck in having website clicks generate the target $30-40 million he feels he needs to retire.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #10

I don't understand how he figures the SSA and private pensions would continue to pay out at their promised levels even when individuals can only make enough over time to withdraw 0.5%?

Isn't he the one who had to go back to work after retiring early? So much for his street cred.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Isn't he the one who had to go back to work after retiring early? So much for his street cred.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I don't understand how he figures the SSA and private pensions would continue to pay out at their promised levels even when individuals can only make enough over time to withdraw 0.5%?

Exactly.

Since he did an about-face a couple years ago (a few years into FIRE), he now relies on shock journalism, panning FIRE, getting the articles picked up by CNBC, Marketwatch, Yahoo, and any other outlet that will pay him...I call it "Whore Journalism".

Always, always remember - here's "an expert" who makes excuses and justifies why he is unable to get by on $265,000 a year in passive income. Does anyone not start laughing uncontrollably? Who really listens to such a person for advice?

In contrast, it's my belief that the SWR is actually higher than 4% - probably more like 6% for those who have FIREd appropriately.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #13

He can keep his money and withdraw .005 ... he can't bring it after he's 6 feet underground. I'm will continue to follow the 4% withdrawal rate in retirement. LIFE IS SHORT .. and you can't enjoy money when you go up to Heaven
Old 08-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

At one time he was all bonds (and 1 or 2 homes in the bay area). Now that interest rates are near zero, real estate is pressured in San Francisco, and he has missed the entire 2009-2020 bull market, I can understand why he is thinking of a .5% SWR. For the rest of us, 3-4% are fine.

But he does need to generate traffic since he is lives off of his blog.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

In about two years he'll be advocating a 14% SWR.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #16

I liked a lot of what he wrote early on, but stopped lending his blog credence when he just made up rules that suited things he wanted to buy. He changed his mind on how much he recommended spending on a car because he wanted a nicer car...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
In contrast, it's my belief that the SWR is actually higher than 4% - probably more like 6% for those who have FIREd appropriately.
I think 4.5% is probably safe, but am using 3.5% as my target.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I think 4.5% is probably safe, but am using 3.5% as my target.
~6.5%WR has been the historical safe withdrawal %, except for the worst 5 or 6 starting periods in history and thus the 4% guidance.
If you retired in 1982, it would be over 10%, but you didn't know it at that time of course.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't really care what Financial Samurai says. But if the SWR is now 0.5%, that does not faze me.

With this pandemic, there's nothing to spend money on, and my expenses have been just for basic stuff. And I find out that my life is still OK. If I were to draw SS now, we could live on our SS just fine.

And I think that when this pandemic is past, I can draw 0.5% WR to supplement SS and that's plenty for travel and discretionary spending.

Yep, 0.5% WR would be a real problem for youngsters who want to ER, but I have grown old enough to be past that phase. See my signature line below.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Forget the phake samurai. If you can find this show, and see what it means to be a real samurai.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote