Join Early Retirement Today

Save 15-30 cents a gallon on gas!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Save 15-30 cents a gallon on gas!

I wanted to share with members the fact that Exxon has
a new (MasterCard) credit card out (available on exxon.com)
that gives you a 30 cent PER GALLON discount for gas
purchased at Exxon or Mobil stations for the 1st 60 days
of the card and 15 cents per gallon thereafter!

With our nearest station being an Exxon station that is
normally well priced with the competition, I thought of
this a free $$$!

I hope this might help others too!

ATTN MODS - please move if needed! Thanks!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also, many credit cards come with 3% cash back on gas purchases. At $4/gallon, that works out to 12 cents per gallon and you can buy gas at any station, not just a particular station. I know I enjoy getting $50 cashback checks every few months just for buying stuff I buy anyway.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Its also only a good deal if the price of gas at exxon vs other stations is highly comparable.

I get 5% back using my penfed card at sams club gas, thats more than 15c right now. I also get 3%+1% using my amex rewards card plus my costco executive card at costco gas.

At the current prices of ~3.50, that gets me to $3.32 at sams or 3.36 at costco. Sooo...whichever has the lowest price gets the nod.

El cheapo gas stations in the area are usually 2-5c more/gallon. Big name places like 76, Shell and so forth are often 10-20c more per gallon than the warehouse clubs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I suspect folks in the Charlotte, Atlanta and Nashville areas would be saying, "What is this thing called 'gas' of which you speak?"
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Gosh..... just makes me want to fill 'er up and go cruisin' !
Old 09-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Gosh..... just makes me want to fill 'er up and go cruisin' !
What's the over under for the day when my 401K balance matches the price of a gallon of gas?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get $.20 a gallon discount for each $50 I spend at Giant Eagle Stores EVEN for gift cards (for about 50 different stores) and an additional $.03 a gallon for flashing my GE discount card at the pump along with the PENFED VISA Discount (5% of the net bill). I just purchased $100 worth gift cards today so next fill up will be about $2.97 a gallon. Been doing this for a couple of years.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

National City has a 4-3-2-1 Everyday Rewards card that gives 4% cashback on any gasoline or automotive purchases up to $250 per month. i've had my own cc account with them for over 3 years now, and opened up a joint one with dh2b about 7 months ago.
we use both cards each month for gas and auto parts to maximize the cashback. make sure you pay the full balance off each month or the interest rate will make you cringe. no annual fee.
i believe it is now limited to certain geographical areas. use your zip code at their site to see if you qualify.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a Chase card which offers 5% cash back on Gas and Food purchases. All other purchases is 1%. Not sure if they still offer this CC as I signed up for it in late 2005, but worth looking into.
hova22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova22 View Post
I have a Chase card which offers 5% cash back on Gas and Food purchases. All other purchases is 1%. Not sure if they still offer this CC as I signed up for it in late 2005, but worth looking into.

I have this card too, but they sent us a notice saying the 5% is being reduced to 3% effective some time in October. I think the explanation of why they are doing this somehow involved "in order to enhance your customer experience we have decided to upgrade your rewards plan". Yeah, upgrade to some crappy new lower payout plan.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote