Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If it were me I would try to keep it, some how some way. If you can afford it, I would see what the other siblings are at on price. The one sibling that farms it now, could he be part of the equation for lowering the price and both of you go in on the deal.

If you bought it, down the road you should be able to get more then what you bought it for.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Don't let your heart rule your head/pocket. Make a business decision.

You obviously did not grow up on a farm where some well maintained 100+ year old barns still have your great grandpa's tools hanging on the walls. If it was just a "business" decision then more than likely the farm would have been gone a long long time ago. I understand the OP's burden and do not envy anyone who HAS to sell something that has been in the family for generations. Not everything is about money.
monte1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Exactly, great grandfathers freight wagon still in barn!
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte1022 View Post
You obviously did not grow up on a farm where some well maintained 100+ year old barns still have your great grandpa's tools hanging on the walls. If it was just a "business" decision then more than likely the farm would have been gone a long long time ago. I understand the OP's burden and do not envy anyone who HAS to sell something that has been in the family for generations. Not everything is about money.
Yes lots of emotions tied up in it.

It would be easy to keep it, except it has a somewhat large debt, so it's basically been operating at a loss.

After 100 years had it been profitable, it would be debt free.

So OP has to balance off the emotional issue, with the fact that it's a large burden to take on, none of the other family members are interested, and OP could actually end up bankrupt if not careful.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes lots of emotions tied up in it.

It would be easy to keep it, except it has a somewhat large debt, so it's basically been operating at a loss.

After 100 years had it been profitable, it would be debt free.

So OP has to balance off the emotional issue, with the fact that it's a large burden to take on, none of the other family members are interested, and OP could actually end up bankrupt if not careful.

Agree.
monte1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

What kind of farm are we actually talking about here? What crops are grown?

Many people call acreage a farm, which is a catch all term.

Has has to be a reason why the one actually living there doesn't want to or can't buy it.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't think of a more emotionally charged asset than a family farm.

I am a 5th generation farm owner. DW is going to a 5th generation farm owner when her 96 year old father leaves us.

I'm keeping mine to pass to our children since I own it free and clear. DW plans on selling hers since she will own it undivided interest with a sister and doesn't want the headache of owning property together with her. Each situation is different.

From a financial standpoint I'm pretty confident buying the farm is not the best investment option for your money. Emotionally it may feel good to own the family farm and that I understand completely.

Have you had the farm appraised ? Farmland has appreciated a great deal in the past couple years, even the last couple months. Auction prices are stunning people these days.

What would concern me the most is your sibling living on the farm. I have an extensive background in farming and farm succession. I've seen numerous families torn apart forever over the farm succession. If you own the farm will your sibling expect you to subsidize his farming by letting him live there and run the farm for less than fair market price ?

How old is your sibling and how long will he be farming and living there ? Another important question is what would you do with the farm at your passing ? You may be passing a head ache to your heirs without knowing it.

Good luck to you and keep peace in your family. Your first family loyalty needs to be your spouse and children. Then your siblings.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, that is the biggest problem. Farm land has increased dramatically and the cash flow usually does not come close to justifying the price especially as a landlord tenant situation.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The challenge is this.

Sell the farm now.

Or, keep pumping more and more money into it over the next five years. Then sell it.

Just do not expect to recoup a dollar of the money you invested over the past five years.

The end result will be the same no matter which option you choose.. Your siblings, especially the one operating the farm, will not be happy either way.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
Way to too small of a farm to pay debt service by leasing or farming. Definitely business decision is to sell unless I could somehow get at a bargain price and that really isn’t fair to other siblings except for father was also trying to give his son who farms a chance to keep it. No way he can do it unless I am involved.
I APPRECIATE EVERYONE’S INPUT. Obviously this has happened to several of us.
While from what you have written I suspect that you are right when you say "No way he can do it unless I am involved" at the same time, given how difficult farming is as a business, it might well be that he can't do it even if you are involved and it will be a money drain for you.

My BILs family faced a similiar situation with their family farm. Only 2 of the 6 kids... 2 males... had an interest in farming. I'm not sure of the details but I think those 2 bought the farm for a bargain price when my BIL's dad decided to retire from farming (more accurately, his body wore out).

The two boys gave it a hard go for many years and struggled financially despite hard work and eventually gave up farming and went into construction.

The land and buildings are still there but no farming that I know of though they let someone come in and hay their fields.

Farming is a very difficult business... I would advise that you pass... it sounds like there is loads of potential downside and not much upside.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

It is so hard to keep emotions out of this type of decision!
Dads side owned a 600 acre farm in the midwest, one sibling farmed it, never made much profit. And after his sudden death, Grandma had to sell to pay the bank loans. Dad did not want it. It was hard but the right decision at the time.
We drive by the property when we go back. The last time, it had been sold to a larger conglomerate, and the entire landscape had been leveled.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Way to too small of a farm to pay debt service by leasing or farming. Definitely business decision is to sell unless I could somehow get at a bargain price and that really isn’t fair to other siblings except for father was also trying to give his son who farms a chance to keep it. No way he can do it unless I am involved.
I APPRECIATE EVERYONE’S INPUT. Obviously this has happened to several of us.
In a 100 years of farming Dad should have been able to make this happen if he really wanted it.

That it didn't, means one of two things. Dad couldn't let go and now you are supposed to kick in money to help "keep" the farm. Or number two which is more likely that each generation needed so much money to run the farm on and live on that no pile of assets was ever accumulated.

Anyhow don't assume you'll be doing your brother a favor by helping him continue to farm. Sometimes you just have to learn when somethings over it's over and turn to the next thing.

I've seem way too many farmers dig their hole with their own shovel and not stop until they buried themselves.

Farming...one of those things that always sounds more romantic then it actually is.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte1022 View Post
All parts of your reply hit home. I just bought some land and on the land is a early 1900's 3 room tar paper shack and a shop. Their is so much history in the building and objects left behind it is incredible. Every time I'm their and in the shop I'm reliving the past. I'm not sure what I will do with all the antiques, old shop tools, fishing equipment and all the things of life back then. I have sold tons of scrap iron and removed a lot of junk but a lot of great history left to deal with.

I am rescuing to old shop and things are coming along, even thou it has cost me time and some money.

I just hope that my place is handed down through generations. I will ask for that, not sure if that is what will happen.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
All parts of your reply hit home. I just bought some land and on the land is a early 1900's 3 room tar paper shack and a shop. Their is so much history in the building and objects left behind it is incredible. Every time I'm their and in the shop I'm reliving the past. I'm not sure what I will do with all the antiques, old shop tools, fishing equipment and all the things of life back then. I have sold tons of scrap iron and removed a lot of junk but a lot of great history left to deal with.

I am rescuing to old shop and things are coming along, even thou it has cost me time and some money.

I just hope that my place is handed down through generations. I will ask for that, not sure if that is what will happen.

Street can you articulate why you are going to ask your kids/heirs to hold on to the land even though it might not suit them or even be what they wanted?

There is something primal about land that people can't really express. Our friend who co owned a small animal feed mill, was just a lovely kind man.

This same man told me that he didn't know what to do, as his only son was married and childless by choice. Because if friends son died his wife would own it and he really wanted to keep it "in the family". For some reason he felt that a "blood" relative would do right by the farm and not sell it. Fantasy land and hurtful thinking.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #35

From only an emotional side, I would say keep it. However OP stated "I care and could afford it but it would be a big bite for me. Borrow money and use IRA to service the loan." This changes your overall financial plans. If you are good with that change, and can still meet your plans then go for it. Life is not all about money.

Here in the Midwest, DW's family had farm. That passed to her mom and aunt some 20 years ago. Neither one personally farmed the land but they rented it out. It was a continuous source of income year after year but far from the best financial investment IMO. The next generation is 6 individuals who have no interest in farming it themselves. Fortunately for her, DW's mom sold her share to her aunt just before her mom passed. Decision was solved for her.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

After our parents passed, my brother and I split the farm up into 2 sections. He lives in the home place. I took the more rugged part of the land. 14 years later, I took a buyout and built a house on my portion.
The total farm is 84 acres with about 56 tillable. We lease the tillable acres out. The profit from the crops pays the taxes and there is plenty left over.
I have some expenses in managing invasive plants, briars, vines, etc to keep the place nice so we can walk through it. Bought a Kubota compact tractor with a bush hog, front loader, and a grader blade to maintain hiking trails, meadows, the driveway and a couple of gardens.
DaveInMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Street can you articulate why you are going to ask your kids/heirs to hold on to the land even though it might not suit them or even be what they wanted?

There is something primal about land that people can't really express. Our friend who co owned a small animal feed mill, was just a lovely kind man.

This same man told me that he didn't know what to do, as his only son was married and childless by choice. Because if friends son died his wife would own it and he really wanted to keep it "in the family". For some reason he felt that a "blood" relative would do right by the farm and not sell it. Fantasy land and hurtful thinking.
That would be my wish for them to keep it. Like I said, that may not happen. My wish is to keep it but if they need the money they should sell it. If they didn't need the money but no longer want it, I would wish they, give it to the state for a bow hunting, walk-in hunting area for all to use. Under state management.

Part of me will always be there!
Old 11-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Exactly, great grandfathers freight wagon still in barn!
Rocky and Monty,

I recommend the movie Sweet Land.
Based on this topic, and done very well.

A warning, it could affect Rocky's decision.

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
In a 100 years of farming Dad should have been able to make this happen if he really wanted it.

That it didn't, means one of two things. Dad couldn't let go and now you are supposed to kick in money to help "keep" the farm. Or number two which is more likely that each generation needed so much money to run the farm on and live on that no pile of assets was ever accumulated.

Anyhow don't assume you'll be doing your brother a favor by helping him continue to farm. Sometimes you just have to learn when somethings over it's over and turn to the next thing.

I've seem way too many farmers dig their hole with their own shovel and not stop until they buried themselves.

Farming...one of those things that always sounds more romantic then it actually is.
I couldn't agree more. Unless you've been involved in a family farm I can't explain it. To the OP. Since you asked, I would contact the best auctioneer in the area and sell the place. If you buy it and rent to your sibling at a subsidized rate you're only enabling him.

My brother was an entitled son and lived rent free on our family farm for 40 years before his debts piled up so high Mom had to sell the building site to get him out of the hole. He lost a farm he never even bought or owned....

Farming is hard enough when its going good. I wouldn't do it. My favorite uncle who was also a farmer told me "Heartstrings are expensive, and the dead loved ones aren't coming back to see you at the farm".
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

My father and his brother decided to break up my grandparents' farm. Neither one of them was interested in farming but they were attached to the estate. My uncle got the house and the land adjoining to the building while my father got the arable land. This land is leased to local farmers for a modest sum, which covers property taxes.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote