Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I don't know where the farm is but prepare for some sticker shock....south western MN a few miles from our place 109 acres at 9780 an acre and of course this means my RE taxes will go up for 22.
Farmland has become an investment vehicle. Billionaires like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have bought up massive amounts of it. When I sold off Dad's 100 acres southeast Wisconsin in 2019, a mutual fund manager with $1M in his checking account snapped it up.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 02:20 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

As others have noted, not really enough info to offer a solid suggestion. I usually find these threads of interest for the many varied perspectives & this had some intriguing ones.

I'll suggest that the very fact that the OP posted it indicates that it is indeed not a financial matter, but rather a family dynamics matter. Avoiding that for the future by those reading this maybe a valuable outcome from the thread.

The 3 siblings that "don't care" may be patient now, but will likely want some cash soon enough & perhaps expect to disentangle before their heirs face it. The "entitled" one may not appreciate the upcoming eviction when a sale occurs. I'm assuming there has been a fairly recent death....who is the executor? They have a tough decision!

I mainly wanted to add though that farmland can actually be a very good investment, especially now. As with most real estate, specifics are what matters. But farms can be a good inflation hedge, act uncorrelated to stocks, etc. I'm not surprised by the many negative comments, but would caution against making assumptions based on limited experience and/or "folk lore".
all4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, bill gates and buffet have bought many acres and then their followers have bought more, pricing the average farmer/investors out of the market.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
Yes, bill gates and buffet have bought many acres and then their followers have bought more, pricing the average farmer/investors out of the market.

In this case it wasn't any of the above but a guy that farms about 4 miles from us. Time will tell if her regrets the purchase.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote