Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
My local electric utility company is offering a 15% discount if you agreed to let your air-conditioner to cycle off during peak-demand hours. Is that a good deal?
A 15% discount off of what? All electricity used?

Sure, that's a good deal if you don't need A/C when it's hottest outside.

You'd need to figure out how much that is in savings to you and decide if sweltering during the peak is worth it. It wouldn't for me, but your mileage may vary.

The best way we cut utility bills? Move. When we lived in Houston we had a 2200 square foot home (as small as they made 'em where we wanted to live near my work) and electric rates at 16 cents per kWh. Last year we moved to an 1100 sf home in a town which purchases wholesale power and distributes it for about 9 cents. Between a new, more efficient A/C unit, half the space to heat and much cheaper electric rates, our summer electric bills are about 1/3 of what they were in Houston (about $100 per month versus close to $300 on average).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spanky,
Depends on the execution of the plan.
We have a similar system. If we allow the energy company to cycle our AC during peak loads as well as our water heater (also electric) we get a discount.
In our case, we never notice the difference as they turn off the AC for 15 minutes every X amount of time. It may be per hour or per few hours. Check out the details.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
A 15% discount off of what? All electricity used?

Sure, that's a good deal if you don't need A/C when it's hottest outside.

You'd need to figure out how much that is in savings to you and decide if sweltering during the peak is worth it. It wouldn't for me, but your mileage may vary.

The best way we cut utility bills? Move. When we lived in Houston we had a 2200 square foot home (as small as they made 'em where we wanted to live near my work) and electric rates at 16 cents per kWh. Last year we moved to an 1100 sf home in a town which purchases wholesale power and distributes it for about 9 cents. Between a new, more efficient A/C unit, half the space to heat and much cheaper electric rates, our summer electric bills are about 1/3 of what they were in Houston (about $100 per month versus close to $300 on average).
Yes, 15% off form the electricity bill in the summer months only.

Moving is definitely on my mind since the weather in the Midwest (Minnesota) is less than desirable. It's hard to find a place with desirable climate and yet affordable. Coastal cities in the West, such as San Diego, Santa Barbara, and San Francisco, have very mild climate but are so expensive to live there.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
"zone" split ac heat pumps
Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

"zone" split ac heat pumps

I live in AZ and we installed some split air units in the rooms we use most often. Instantly cool/heat a room to comfort when home - off otherwise (you wont convince me on numbers to keep it on all day) . Hardware on self install is inexpnesive from genieac.com but i would recommend having the freon piping done by a pro - i learned along the way and did some car ac work before.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:29 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
My local electric utility company is offering a 15% discount if you agreed to let your air-conditioner to cycle off during peak-demand hours. Is that a good deal?
It gets my vote. It is only a savings on the electricity on the A/C unit, so its not a huge savings, but every nickel counts. There is some extra wiring, but I don't think I was charged anything additional to install it.

In the 7-8 years I have had it, I can honestly say that I noticed my service was "interrupted" only a couple of times. I had to walk outside and check to see if the red light was on to be 100% certain !

Plus, it is one very, very small way of helping the environment !
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
I live in AZ and we installed some split air units in the rooms we use most often. Instantly cool/heat a room to comfort when home - off otherwise (you wont convince me on numbers to keep it on all day) .
Interesting !

I saw this type of system on "This old House" once. They are a good solution for Northern folks with hot water heat.

Are they common in AZ ? I thought most folks in that region used evap units ?

How is the cost of operation compared to what you had ?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Split air conditioning systems are pretty cool and pretty easy to install. Condenser unit the size of a small suitcase sits outside, small blower unit mounts to the wall inside, drill a 3" hole in the wall to pass the wire/refrigerant lines through, plug everything in and the system self-pressurizes...although some states require a licensed HVAC guy to check for leaks and pressure levels.

Some of them have multiple inside blowers all hung to the same compressor.

Problem with split-airs is that while they're more powerful than a window unit and a lot easier to install than central, they're still pretty expensive. A refurb system with about 12000btu's is around a thousand bucks and a new system with enough kick to cool a small house is closer to 2k.

Really nice option for folks who have central air and need a little 'help' in a hot part of the house or to support a room/area addition.

Also, just for the record, I HATE evaporative (swamp) coolers. I live in the perfect region for one and for low cost, minimal cooling...they're just okay but bring a lot of problems with them. Every house i've looked at that had a swamp cooler installed had mildew and mold issues, rusty ducts, some dry rot. You have to leave a couple of windows open to prevent over humidification of the interior air. And its only a 10-15 degree drop in temperature and thats if you're sitting close to the blower. Not that helpful when its 105 degrees out.

Compared to the super high efficiency air conditioners available today, i'm not sure the much narrowed cost savings is really worth the problems.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

One more thing about swamp coolers. They are a breeding ground for Legoinella disease. The bug likes 70-90 degree water and dirt. Both of which are found in large quanities in a swamp cooler. The only way I'd use one is with a chlorine puck from a swiming pool in the water basin. Of course then you get the fragrance of chlorine through your house.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

We have no air conditioning in our home and we don't need it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Also, just for the record, I HATE evaporative (swamp) coolers. I live in the perfect region for one and for low cost, minimal cooling...they're just okay but bring a lot of problems with them. Every house i've looked at that had a swamp cooler installed had mildew and mold issues, rusty ducts, some dry rot. You have to leave a couple of windows open to prevent over humidification of the interior air. And its only a 10-15 degree drop in temperature and thats if you're sitting close to the blower. Not that helpful when its 105 degrees out.
WOW

Thanks for that info. I'll remember that if I ever move to a dry climate !
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have no air conditioning in our home and we don't need it.
I thought it got hot in Minnesota in the summer. Why don't you need AC?

I'm sitting here in front of a fire right now. It rarely gets above 60 degrees outside.

Quote:
if you agreed to let your air-conditioner to cycle off
So they put a radio-receiver on the power to your air conditioner, and cycle it on and off? Does the receiver verify that it is indeed turned off when they turn it off?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
WOW

Thanks for that info. I'll remember that if I ever move to a dry climate !
We use a swamp cooler. It works great when it stays below 95. For us the month of July is a little painfull durring the day. But our nights are ussualy 70, which cools the house down to 60.

In Wyoming a swamp cooler was perfect day and night. In Colorado it is a little underpowered.

I find the humidity in the house to be Ohio like on a 70 degree day. I find it a little refreshing from the skin cracking dry colorado weather. I do give my guns an extra coat of oil durring the summer.

My year long total utility bills add up to $900/yr (heating, cooling, electric and gas)
rw86347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I thought it got hot in Minnesota in the summer. Why don't you need AC?
We live by Lake Superior, a big natural air conditioner. It is about 50 degrees right now. For all I know, it could be 80 in Minneapolis.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
We live by Lake Superior, a big natural air conditioner. It is about 50 degrees right now. For all I know, it could be 80 in Minneapolis.

You guys need to move south...
Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Lake Superior, a big natural air conditioner
IC, same idea here. Average summer and winter temps differ by less than 10 degrees.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But no farther south than Oklahoma...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But no further south than Oklahoma...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But no further south than Oklahoma...
Actually, I was thinking Minneapolis...but no farther further more.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #39

Minneapolis does get hot and humid in the summer months. I can tolerate the heat but not the humidity. I know a few guys who actually would touch it up. They said they enjoy natural air instead of air-conditioned air.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Right on the mark Yes, large bodies of water are great temperature moderators.