Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

So the OP can now get a decent amount of data if they can swing the extra $10/month
It was a two-part decision. To save money and to get rid of the smartphone. I don't want a data plan.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Your older iPhones should work with CC as long as they are not Verizon phones. I have 2 iPhone 4 phones that I purchased in 2010 on CC. Cost for the 2 of them is $39.82/mo. Includes 250 minutes, Unlimited Text & 250 mb of data. Which isn't a lot, but I turn all app data off until I actually need it. Haven't exceeded that data and all apps work when connected to wifi.

This is what I originally planned on doing, until I learned that our Verizon phones could not be brought over to Consumer Cellular and that I would have to get new phones.

Between the cost of new phones, and not wanting to dispose of the perfectly good iPhones we already had, I started looking at other options. That's when I learned that I could bring my iPhones to Cricket and not have to get a new phone.

I also liked that they have a "no data" option which seemed not to be possible with other services.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #23

Republic Wireless is not without flaws, but you buy your phone and pay for what you use. My bill is $25 but I get back $15 or so if I don't use all my 2Gb.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Sounds like a good deal, except we've made the decision to go without data.
You might want to work a deal with the kids. 4 lines at Cricket with data is $100. The 5th person is free. So, your per line cost goes to $25 and $20 respectively. We have our DD and DFIL on our 4 person plan.

And with data, you can check your stock quotes and find out if your are still FI. Or catch up with ER.Org wherever you go.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use H20 Wireless which rides on AT&T's network. $27/mo (with autopay) gets me talk/text and 2 gigs.
StikyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
If you use very little data then $10/month with airvoice wireless is for you. My wife and I have iPhone 6 and have been using airvoice for 2 years.

You must check out this plan. What you don’t use will roll over to next month. I allows you to use voice, text, and data at very reasonable rates.

https://www.airvoicewireless.com/10-dollar-monthly

Set up auto pay. I use data wherever there is no WiFi, my balance is $50.xx after two years. I used to pay $60 per month for one line. Talk about big savings. They have good customer service which is US based.
We used the $10/month Airvoice Wireless plan for about 4 years.... autopay of $10/month then they deduct 4c for each minute of voice, 2c per text and 6.6c per mb of data... whatever balance that remains at the end of the month rolls over to the next month.

Then we became snowbirds and our needs changed and we switched to their $30/month plan... unlimited talk and text and 1GB/month.

Very happy customers.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
gone traveling

I’m on metropcs for the first month and the data is super slow with a lot of dead spots and I’m in a large metro area. I expect coverage and speed and I suspect they throttle down the data speeds, running off T-Mobile’s network.

I just signed up today with cricket and got a free Samsung that I’ll be gifting to my father in law, hoping the coverage and speed will be better than the at&t network, I had net10 that used at&t’s Network and it was great
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #28

Quote:
I had read a lot of good things about Consumer Cellular, but that would require us to buy new phones. While my wife's iPhone is 3 years old, mine is less than 2 years old and I didn't like the idea of having to buy 2 new phones when we still have 2 perfectly good iPhones.
We have been with Consumer Cellular for over a year and have iPhones older than yours and were not required to by new ones when we signed up.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #29

Since DW got her new (first time in 20 years) car, it came with Pandora and Bluetooth. So, screaming and kicking into the 21st century, I bought 2 Alcatel smartphones from TracFone. I paired her phone with the car, and she can listen to Pandora all over.
The phones were $99 each, and all our minutes, texts and data from our flip phones were moved over.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm still in the cell phone stone age as my flip phone (Pantech) is so old I cant remember when i bought it other than I'm sure its after 9/11 because calling my NYC relatives and staring at phone hoping for a good outcome (it was) is still burned into memory and I know my phone was different then. This pantech is indestructible and i can access the net on those rare occasions i really want to. As a a mega corp retiree was eligible for a reduced rate AT &T plan so spend $35/month (after all fees taxes etc) for unlimited everything. Will have to get a smartphone i guess someday but not really looking fwd to it as based on anecdotal evidence they don't seem to last very long.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #31

Sounds like OP just used the no data option as easy way to get out from subsidizing his kids. I am primary on my account but have told my kids we split the bill up evenly, I'm not subsidizing their "habit".

I'm on Tmobile, been real happy with them. 6 lines with unlimited data and paying $190/mo or $31/mo. If any lines don't use 2GB of data it's a savings of $10 per line. When I'm not traveling my wife and I can stay under the 2GB, drops the rate then to $21/line. Also get free Netflix from TMo which also saves me $12/mo.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #32

I'm using mintsim.com for the last 3 months and will probably renew. The 3 month trial comes out to be $15 per month for unlimited calls and texts along with 2GB of 4LTE data. You have to provide your own phone. I enjoy using some internet surfing while "waiting" for appointments, so nice to have data access.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Ever since I caught the FIRE bug, I have been looking for ways to save $$ and accelerate my retirement date.

One big monthly expense that seemed untouchable was our cellular service. We were spending appx $260/month for 5 lines of service with data.

3 of the lines were for our now grown-up kids and they started contributed a share once they moved out on their own. But, we still paid the lion's share which came to about $150/month.

In addition to reading a lot about savings and retirement, I've also been reading about "minimalism". So, after a recent chat with the Princess (i.e., daughter) who is very much into a simple lifestyle, the wife and I decided to get rid of our smartphones.

We notified the other kids and told them they would need to find their own plans. Then, we started looking for a simple plan of our own.

The best deal I found was Cricket Wireless. I had read a lot of good things about Consumer Cellular, but that would require us to buy new phones. While my wife's iPhone is 3 years old, mine is less than 2 years old and I didn't like the idea of having to buy 2 new phones when we still have 2 perfectly good iPhones.

With Cricket Wireless I was able to get a plain talk and text (no data) plan using our iPhones. Out of pocket cost for the 2 lines: $50/mo.

So, I'm pretty happy to have found a way to save an add'l $100/mo.
I with you on this one- just switched to Cricket from At&t, same coverage and more data for 60.00 flat- no tax or other fees. Saved me about 35$ per month over my basic At&t plan. At&t owns Cricket, but I like the price better!!!

VW
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #34

Quote:
It was a two-part decision. To save money and to get rid of the smartphone. I don't want a data plan.
I understand the saving money part, but please expand on the data plan. I'd like to save money too, but I find the phone very useful for times when I need to look things up while away from home or to get directions. Granted, these often involve shopping ventures which we need to curtail as well, but I'm struggling to see how to give up data, which means giving up easy access to directions.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #35

I bought a Moto G5 Plus that has Android 7 on it a couple of months ago at Costco for $219. I live so far out in the boonies that I only get cell service when I go in to town. Verizon has better coverage out here, but I think all service providers work in the closest town. I still use my flip phone for phone access while in town and use the smart phone for wifi including phone over wifi. It works ok, but there are a couple of times a month where it would be nice to have data access without wifi. I pay Verizon $29/ mo. for unlimited talk and text. I could switch to Verizon's offshore plan with data for $50/ mo. but I have a problem spending the extra bucks for something I may use once or twice a month. I tried to get in on a deal for free phone and data for a year at Sprint a couple of months ago, but they told me my credit was not good enough (its 800+). I won't be doing business with Sprint. It looks like if I go with Boom, I would need to get a new phone number. So I just keep slogging along as I am. I need some encouragement from RobbieB to spend more loot!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

WE live in an area where AT & T has great reception all over the state. So we switched to Cricket to save $. However, we did not have phone service when we left town. Although Cricket uses AT & T's lines when in rural areas I guess AT&T rents these lines from others and Cricket users don't have access. We switched back after finding this out the hard way.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
WE live in an area where AT & T has great reception all over the state. So we switched to Cricket to save $. However, we did not have phone service when we left town. Although Cricket uses AT & T's lines when in rural areas I guess AT&T rents these lines from others and Cricket users don't have access. We switched back after finding this out the hard way.
Interesting. What states/locations were without service?

We've been using Cricket for almost two years now and traveled extensively in a number of states, primarily in rural areas with our RV, and had zero problems.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Lots of good information here. A couple of comments:

1) We had PureTalk for a number of years and it uses the AT&T network. Got a big bad surprise once traveling through the Tomah, WI area. No cell coverage. It turns out that AT&T roams onto T-Mobile in that area and PureTalk was literally AT&T only. This may be the case with other MVNOs. I would check coverage maps carefully and ask detailed questions.

2) Project Fi has been mentioned. We are on Project Fi now for a couple of reasons: First, their international coverage is like 130 countries many with free calling and others with relatively low cost calling. In all countries data is $10/GB. Second, the $10/GB is the price in the US too but you pay for only what you use. Recent full-month data bills I have had were 83 cents and a dollar twenty-nine. We like this because data is sometimes handy, like for Google maps and Yelp restaurant suggestions in unfamiliar areas. A couple of weeks ago I found the data connection useful when our home internet went down for several days. I just set up one of the phones as a hotspot and we were virtually unaffected. I think we used about a Gig, so $10 bill this month.

Our Project Fi bills run about $45/month for two lines, unlimited talk and text, and the small amounts of data we use. IIRC almost ten bucks of that is government fees and taxes.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I understand the saving money part, but please expand on the data plan.
This is hard for me to explain, and in my attempt, please know that I chose to do this because of my deficiencies and this is not intended as a criticism of anyone else or their use of technology. But, I made the decision because I feel that technology - and my smartphone in particular - was having a net negative impact on me from both a social and a spiritual perspective.

I've done a lot of reading on this and related subjects and some of these authors explain it much better than I ever could:

Quote:
“Once your brain has become accustomed to on-demand distraction, ... it’s hard to shake the addiction even when you want to concentrate. To put this more concretely: If every moment of potential boredom in your life—say, having to wait five minutes in line or sit alone in a restaurant until a friend arrives—is relieved with a quick glance at your smartphone, then your brain has likely been rewired to a point where, like the “mental wrecks” in Nass’s research, it’s not ready for deep work—even if you regularly schedule time to practice this concentration.” Cal Newport
Quote:
"When two human beings get together, they're co-present, there is built into it a certain responsibility we have for each other, and when people are co-present in family relationships and other relationships, that responsibility is there. You can't just turn off a person. On the Internet, you can." Neil Postman
Quote:
“Our world no longer hears God because it is constantly speaking, at a devastating speed and volume, in order to say nothing.” Cardinal Robert Sarah
Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

WE live in NV and basically mostly only had service in Vegas and REno. We went to Fallon to see a friend and had no service which was not good as my DH had a phone meeting for work. He was definitely not happy.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote