Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Is there an easier way to see the fixed rate on a bond?
Just use the 'Savings Bond Caclulator' on the link above. It gives the current rate and value.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When the Treasury can borrow for 4% without assuming inflation risk, and if they think inflation will remain fairly high, there's little incentive for them to offer much in the way of inflation-protected securities.

If you could get a mortgage at a fixed 4%, would you consider an adjustable rate mortgage that will see a rise in interest rates if inflation rages on? Neither would the government. Sucks as a saver, but as a taxpayer it's probably a good idea.
I'll add a little. Governments get a great deal when they issue debt denominated in their own currency - they can print money to pay it off. This doesn't work as well with TIPS and I-Bonds. I've heard that Greenspan wanted TIPS as a data source - one more window into what investors were thinking.

I-Bonds were probably aimed at getting a few more dollars from savings bonds - I've always guessed that the lower yields more than offset the costs of the lower average size.

I could see the Treasury keeping TIPS around just for the information, but I don't see them wanting to let the total value outstanding get up to any meaningful fraction of total debt.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Is there an easier way to see the fixed rate on a bond?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Just use the 'Savings Bond Caclulator' on the link above. It gives the current rate and value.
But it does not give the fixed rate, just the total rate.

You have more work to do to calculate the fixed rate.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #24

Quote:
But it does not give the fixed rate, just the total rate.

You have more work to do to calculate the fixed rate.
When you say "fixed rate" do you mean the rate it was issued at?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
When you say "fixed rate" do you mean the rate it was issued at?
Every 6 months (May and Nov) the Treasury issue bonds that are comprised of 2 interest rates, a fixed rate and a variable rate. If you buy an I-Bond today or anytime up to Nov 1st the fixed rate is 0% and the variable rate is 4.84%. So if you have a bond issued in April 2004, it was issued with a fixed rate of 1.13% giving a total rate of 5.97%. In Nov if the rate goes to 3% then the bond you bought in May this year will go to 3% for the next 6 months while the one bought in May 2004 goes to 4.13%
Old 08-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For people who are not familiar with I bonds, the fixed rate is for life of the bond. I wonder if any of us bought I bonds during May 2000 - Oct 2000, when the fixed rate was 3.60%. You would be "golden".

Obviously, the Treasury had problems raising money then, so had to give away a heck of a premium, and also let you buy a whole lot more than the lower limit now. Between paper and electronic forms, and between a married couple ($30K x 4), you've got to be very rich to have that much cash to put away each year.

Now that they have cut the fixed rate to 0%, I wonder who would be buying. Too much cash sloshing around, trying to get some "meager but safe" returns. Time to get some stocks, anybody?

P.S. I saw that Bikerdude did get some in the above time frame. Good for you! I did not.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
[SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]For people who are not familiar with I bonds, the fixed rate is for life of the bond. I wonder if any of us bought I bonds during May 2000 - Oct 2000, when the fixed rate was 3.60%.
I got a bunch at 3.5% but ran up against the annual limit on how much you could buy. Then when I got to the next time I could buy, I was shorter on cash, so didn't buy up to the max. By the time I had more cash the rate had dropped below what I thought was prudent to buy.

Any way you look at it, a 3.5% real rate of return on a guaranteed, completely safe investment is a great thing for the fixed income portion of a portfolio. Because of the tax deferral, my thinking is that my I-Bonds will be the very last thing I will sell (and, if I can afford it, I'll use the proceeds to help my grandkids in college and avoid the tax altogether.)
Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For people who are not familiar with I bonds, the fixed rate is for life of the bond. I wonder if any of us bought I bonds during May 2000 - Oct 2000, when the fixed rate was 3.60%. You would be "golden".

Obviously, the Treasury had problems raising money then, so had to give away a heck of a premium
That and nobody really quite understood or wanted to buy ibonds and tips back then. So they were...umm...'marked to market'.

Hell, the stock market was going up at 25-30% a year and had been for 5 years. Who the hell wanted to buy savings bonds? Gimme some of them there tech stocks!

So they sold at a premium until the market took a dump and people figured out what they were and why they might want to incorporate them into their portfolio. After which they paid slightly more than bupkus.

Funny how wistful people get about the potential for having bought bonds that paid 3.xx% plus an inflation calculation that may or may not apply to them, but are leery of buying a mutual fund that pays a dividend higher than that, and has total returns that have well exceeded anything that TIPS or iBonds have ever paid...

When I have a chance, I'll have to dig up a few of the threads from a few years ago when the stock market was roaring and the CPI was barely registering inflation and everyone was glad they could dump their iBonds with only a nominal penalty.

And those mutual funds I mentioned were still paying ~4% and improving their capital value by another 3-4%+...

What do you do all day indeed...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
...are leery of buying a mutual fund that pays a dividend higher than that, and has total returns that have well exceeded anything that TIPS or iBonds have ever paid...

Yeah, like those dividend-paying MFs that I have that were loaded with financials...

Seriously, it may be good time to buy stocks now. I won't cash out my I-bonds though. Got some MM's to go shopping with first. Slooowly, a few hundred shares at a time ...
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
That and nobody really quite understood or wanted to buy ibonds and tips back then. So they were...umm...'marked to market'.

Hell, the stock market was going up at 25-30% a year and had been for 5 years. Who the hell wanted to buy savings bonds? Gimme some of them there tech stocks!
Exactly! The reason to have an asset allocation and to stick with it IMHO.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Exactly! The reason to have an asset allocation and to stick with it IMHO.
A point well taken. Sticking to an AA plan hasn't given me the chance to brag a lot about gains at cocktail parties. But it's kept me comfortably retired for 5+ years.