Savings, Cable TV, Cell Phones & Internet Attitudes

- Saving ~25% of pay, not counting mortgage or car loan principal amortization. Now that bonus accounts for a much greater proportion of my income, I suspect that the saving # will be more volatile than in the past.
- 2 cells @ $45 a month each. I am VERY tempted to chop one phone, but DW isn't giving hers up and I really value mine as a way to use some of the time I spend in the car.
- We have satellite because its cheaper than cable. I am tempted to dump it as well, since I actually watchvery little TV, but others in the household don't agree.
- Currently on cable modem since DSL isn't available. Not sure what we will do when the intro period is over. Probably suck it up unless DSL becomes available.

Martha said:
I have considered Direcway for satellite internet, in part because we would take a mobile dish on the road with us on the motorhome. To get some feedback on using it for internet access, here is a good forum: http://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/forum/f/4.html

Martha, thanks for the link. After doing a little reading about all the problems people seem to be having with Direcway, I'm not too encouraged that's the way to go. Here is a quote from the site that seems to sum up a lot of what I read:

"Direcway is just like:

There once was a little girl, that had a curl, right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good she was very, very good, but when she was bad she was horrid."

Direcway has another problem besides difficulties installing and keeping a connection. Very, very bad latency. Your regular and cable/dsl modem count the time between when you send a request and receive a response in milliseconds. Direcway counts it in seconds. Not so bad when you're downloading a huge file or receiving 50 mail messages with attachments. Not so good when you're loading a web page with content from 40-50 different sites. Completely unusable if you want to play online games other than solitaire and poker.

1) I don't have to save any more!   I'm retired!  Oh yeah - I do live within my means - is that different?

2) I have satellite TV.  We're mobile.  We're often out of range of TV stations.  Renting movies is not an option.  We don't like to go out to movie theaters.  So I use Sat TV for movies plus news - especially weather.  I guess I kind of see it as "essential".

3) Cell phone is essential to us.  We don't have a land line!!  It's our only phone.

4) Internet access is absolutely essential and high speed is better.  It's our encyclopedia, our travel agency, our bill-paying service, our money-management tool,  FWIW - we have NO magazine subscriptions, no newspaper subscriptions, carry almost no books, and do not have regular access to a library.

So, I think in a way, those things listed as questionably essential since they are "new-fangled" don't take into account the other things people pay for that used to be considered essential but no longer have to be.

If you don't have a land-line - then having a cellphone becomes pretty essential.

If you have hardly any books, no regular access to a library, no magazines subscriptions, no newspaper subscriptions, etc., use mail very little, do all bill-paying on-line,  then internet access becomes pretty essential.

Save/invest >20%...

Have all of the above; not "necessity", but worth having, IMHO!

() said:
Not so good when you're loading a web page with content from 40-50 different sites. 

Why is this? Your browser can fetch content from many sites/servers simultaneously, so while there will be a delay of a second or two, the sum of the parts shouldn't add up to the total loading time for the whole. You can change the number of

If I lived in the sticks, and sat. was my only high-speed option, I would jump on it in a second. Obviously things like VoIP would be out with that kind of latency, but streaming video/audio would work just fine. Shoutcast is my friend :)

In case you're wondering, here is the registry location to change the # of connections for IE-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
and
MaxConnectionsPerServer

mb said:
From the San Jose Mercury News:

55% - People that consider themselves disciplined savers

80% - People that admit to saving less than 5% of their income

49% - People that said cable/satellite TV is essential

46% - People that said a cell phone is essential

44% - People that said high speed internet is essential

I'm curious as to the attitudes of those on this forum?

My opinions:

- Save >5% mostly with automated deposits to mutual funds (I guess that's disciplined)
- Don't have cable or satellite
- Have a cell phone but could easily live w/o it (although work colleagues have expressed some displeasure about not being able to contact me when I don't have it)
- Have high-speed internet and it is one of the last "luxuries" that I would give up

It's sunny and getting warm outside.  Time to go for my bike ride.

MB

Currently saving about 30% of gross income.

We have cable, but rarely watch it (came with the cable modem we have). Given DH's hobby of playing online computer games, I'd say high speed internet is a priority (though not essential). (I should say that we generally don't spend a lot of money on entertainment or recreation. This is our big expense in that area.)

I have a cell phone, but it's a convenience for work, not a necessity; we'll drop the land line as soon as we can get reasonable VOIP for long distance.

1) save ~ 50 percent of gross. It helps that the housing cost isn't so high anymore. I'm getting to the point though of wondering what I am saving for. I may have a severe case of savers-itis.

2) Cable or satellite - What's that ?

3) Cell phone - wife has one I got on a promotion $10/month. She gets 50 minutes weeday airtime and 500 weekend minutes. With taxes it's about $12.50 a month.

I got one a few months ago (October) after some posts on this forum recommended it. STIMobile has a prepaid deal with a free phone and 10/12 cents per minute that never expire if you use it at least every 60 days. They give you $10 of free airtime and I have yet to use that. Mostly it's a toy to play with as I have only made a limited number of calls. So far I've been spending less than $2/month playing with my little toy. Maybe I'll use it more if I get stranded in the hood desert and the buzzards are circling.

If you are interested in a very low cost plan check out www.stimobile.com . The prices are good but you get what you pay for to a degree. They are a sprint airtime reseller so the connections are good. However their customer service is voice-menu hell (get ready to wait).

4) high speed internet - Have dial-up at home that wife uses to E-mail friends. Works just fine and costs $5.50/month. Will think about DSL if the ads stop touting $20/month for first 12 months (only).

Marshac said:
Why is this? Your browser can fetch content from many sites/servers simultaneously, so while there will be a delay of a second or two, the sum of the parts shouldn't add up to the total loading time for the whole. You can change the number of

Sure, with a few hacks you can 'fix' the problem, although some host servers will limit your incoming connections, and if you're using a proxy server, some of those limit incoming connections. Some 'content' also opens further content on the same or different servers. Most users 'get used' to the stutter start stops after a while. The equipment costs and/or high monthy fees also are a non starter for a lot of people.

Ask Jerry Pournelle how much he likes his direcway. Granted he liked it a lot when it was all he had. He only turns it on now when his DSL is down.

For 2005 it looks like we saved 22% of gross income in various tax deffered, taxable & cash funds. The recently paid off house helps the saving process. Saving was probably 10% to 15% of last 15 years of working life.

We added Dish TV last year on a good deal, minimum package. May keep it, the PVR really improves viewing.

Cell phone, we have three. I consider them priceless in keeping in touch with wife & teen age son. We have a land line which I would give up but I think its necessary for DSL and it has the best reception and consistancy of service.

We have DSL, pay $30 + taxes a month for 3 MPS service. Technically we could live on cheaper dial up buyt the speed is nice when wife & son are on their laptops while I am at my desktop, all connected to the internet.

It will be interesting to see how things change as DW will be retiring in June of this year, so we will have less income, somewhat lowered expenses and less savings but--ta da! -- more time.

Save 50%+ of income (2 income house living on less than 1 income, low taxes, low cost of living).

Basic cable $12/month - for background noise, occasional network news (mostly crap, I admit), and for my wife to complain about "nothing being on" (that happens no matter if we have 25 channels or 250 channels)

No cell phone - I don't find them particularly useful, given the hassle of dealing with one. My wife does have a prepaid tracfone, $90/yr for about 300-400 minutes per year, mostly emergency use or "honey, I'm stuck in traffic. be home 30 minutes late. go pick up the baby from daycare."

High Speed cable internet - $47/month - a luxury. Provides entertainment and info and feeds multiple computers on the home network. Time savings and convenience are well worth this price.

Looks like I am a contrarian here.

We saved about 25% of gross last year but I don't count college for my son, paying down the principal on two mortgages and making accelerated payments on a stock loan.

We have Dishnetwork and I have the works. I have to feed my HD something! We live in a canyon and I cannot get off-air broadcasts; not even many local FM stations so we use the dish for radio too.

We have DSL and a landline but no long distance. Our cell phones are what we use for long distance.

We spend a lot on home entertainment but we don't go out all that much and we either rent a movie or do pay per view on new ones; still cheaper than the movie theater. We do save in other areas so I figure the exta we pay on the goodies is more than worth the marital tranquility it buy for me. ;)

Lessee...

I consider myself fairly disciplined when it comes to saving. For the time being, I'm putting away around 70% of my salary into savings/401k/roth, but chances are I won't be able to maintain that savings rate indefinitely. Still, having roommates helps!

Cell phones...I could probably live without them, but the convenience is nice. I think my bill averages around $100-110 per month, but I have three phones on that plan, and my roommates reimburse me.

Cable Tv...well, I have Directv, bill is probably around $75 per month for two Tivos plus some pay channels. I could live without it, or at least with cutting back on the pay channels, but that damn Tivo is addictive...really turns you into a couch potato!

Internet access...we have DSL through AT&T, I think, but one of my roommates pays it. Not sure how much it is these days. Used to run $50 per month though. I don't think I could live without the internet, and after getting used to DSL and the T3 (or whatever it's called) at work, there's no way I could deal with dial-up again!

SteveR said:
We spend a lot on home entertainment but we don't go out all that much and we either rent a movie or do pay per view on new ones; still cheaper than the movie theater.  We do save in other areas so I figure the exta we pay on the goodies is more than worth the marital tranquility it buy for me. ;)

That's pretty much how I justified renewing my $447.00 contract for satellite tv again. I never go to the movie theater and I never eat out... I know, how un-American can I get!?!

Just by completely cutting off these two items I believe way more than pays for my satellite tv. I simply consider and treat my sattelite tv access as my home entertainment budget for the year and considering my last trip to Applebee's @ $23.00 as a Christmas treat by friends, I'm content in knowing I'm on the right track.

1. save quite a bit
2. cancelled cable a while a go. I miss a couple of shows, but I couldn't justify the bill just to watch "monk"
3. I have a cell at work, and wife has a $100/year pre-paid plan.
4. I have high-speed internet at work, and I use netzero (10 free hours a month) at home.

If I didn't get the high-speed internet at work I would probably end up buying it at home. When my kids get older I'm sure it will become a "must" have. Cable may as well, we'll have to see.

Marshac said:
T-Mobile ToGo has a $100/1000 minute option whose minutes don't expire for 365 days. If you use very few minutes, it's an awesome deal. I average about 50 minutes per month.

Marshac, thanks for the info and link!  I hardly use my mobile phone.  I got it originally for text-messaging with my mom--can you believe an 82-year old woman who's into texting (well, she's in the Phils.)--but we haven't been texting for a while.  Also, T-Mobile raised their unit price for each text message, so I opt to call overseas and hear mom's voice. 

Regarding my answers to OP:
- I'm a saver now but wasn't always
- Never had cable or satellite (even when I loved MTV in the 80's)
- I have 1 cell phone that costs me about $25 per month
- I have high-speed DSL, around $30-35 per month

no cable/direct tv
no cell phone
computer and internet for 2 years and broadband for 6 months.

save over 40% of my gross pay.

I have a cell phone through work and my wife pays $47/month for t-mobile.

We have 3Mbps DSL for $30/month.

Got rid of cable TV ($50/month for 60 channels) a year ago.
The idea was to go to the gym ($90/month) instead, but let's just say
that we've been getting better "value" from the DSL...

We save around 50% of our gross which includes retirements, investments, etc. as
well as paying extra on the mortgage, but does not include charitable donations.
I figure that paying extra on the mortgage is simply another savings choice other
than putting it in the bank.
Yet I don't count my regular mortgage amount, it's an "expense".
So I'm not sure where to put debt repayment between "savings" and "expense".
Paying the interest doesn't grow my net worth, but paying on the principal does.

Someone should turn this into a poll. Too much information. ::) :eek:

Someone should turn this into a poll.  Too much information.

I could turn it into a poll if that is the consensus?

MB

() said:
I think a poll is agreeable.

So now all we need is a committee to determine the rules for the pole and another committee to construct the pole followed by a vote by 2/3 of the members here to approved the poll followed by a general vote on who should construct the pole which will then require a vote to accept this selection where upon the poll can finally be constructed and completed by the membership.  ::)

How about somebody just do one!  :D

I remember someone saying about 25-30 years ago that if computers ever became intelligent and tried to take over the world, all we'd have to do is maneuver them into forming a committee and that'd pretty much finish them off.

How about somebody just do one!  

I think we had one recently on how much people saved and then a few folks always have to argue what should be included like mortgage pre-payment. He who makes the poll, shall set the rules. :)

SteveR said:
So now all we need is a committee to determine the rules for the pole and another committee to construct the pole followed by a vote by 2/3 of the members here to approved the poll followed by a general vote on who should construct the pole which will then require a vote to accept this selection where upon the poll can finally be constructed and completed by the membership.  ::)

I think we need a poll on poles... 8)

Back
Top Bottom