Savings milestone today.

JohnDoe

Recycles dryer sheets
We just passed 300k in retirement savings for the 1st time. That's a 50% increase in 2 years since we got our act together. Aren't there boards wonderful?

Hoping to retire in 12 more years.

Congratulations! How much do you plan to save before retiring?

Nice! Hope to join you in the 300k in a few years ;) And yes, these boards have really helped me. Thanks to all of you who contribute!

Congratulations! How much do you plan to save before retiring?

Thanks. The range I'm looking for is 1.3 to 1.7 million.

I'm just now starting to accumulate savings in an after-tax brokerage account.

Wonderful! And the bigger your nestegg gets, the faster it seems to grow. :)

Great job. I am FI and have used the $200-250k = $10k spending ratio to establish my savings goal. I have this in a taxable account, VG index + Wellington funds. I consider my 401k $ as a big bonus in 15 years. I am 45 now.

Having the saving and asset allocation goal made all of the difference. Keep up the good work.

The 4% withdrawal rate implies that you retire with 25x your annual expenses. Therefore, 250K in the bank means 10K per year retirement income. You can think of it that way - for every 250K you save (or your nest egg appreciates), means another 10K per year retirement income available.

Audrey

I consider my 401k $ as a big bonus in 15 years. I am 45 now.
I agree. While I fully fund my registered investment opportunities, for retirement planning purposes I essentially ignore that money and focus on the income that my non-registered portfolio can generate (currently it is all re-invested, natch).

Such 'mental accounting' is perhaps rather silly, but it causes me to adopt a more conservative approach and builds in another layer of 'insurance'.

Ok. I had to go dig this thread up. 300k for the 2nd time. :)

I'm in the 300k twice club also!

DD

Just passed the $340K mark today (for the first time) after testing again the 300K milestone during the stock market pull back in January. Also a 50% increase from May 2006.

Congrats on the 300,000 .. again! And as a bonus - you were putting cash in while the market was low - when we get back to 14,000 DOW you will be a happy camper!

I always was so excited when I hit the milestones(100,000- 200,000 etc), it was very motivating.

I always was so excited when I hit the milestones(100,000- 200,000 etc),
of course it's always a bit less exciting when you hit them the 2nd, or 3rd time ;)

The first 100K seems to be taking forever. Hopefully by this time next year i'll reach 100K so I reach it before I turn 30.

Doubling your egg in two years is awesome. My goal is to double every five years with contributions + organic growth.

Back
Top Bottom