Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I agree, but for $70 (or less, sometimes), you can get a copy of Parallels and run Windows on a virtual machine. I've done this for many years, because I have a few Windows-only applications I need (ESPlanner is one example). The current version of Parallels is so smooth and trouble-free that I don't even mind doing it.

http://www.amazon.com/Parallels-Desk.../dp/B00MA5TPN6
That certainly is an option. It's good to know the Parallels application works well - thanks for mentioning it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Wow. Looks like a TurboTax PR disaster in the works over on Amazon.

They have indeed removed Sch D support from the 2014 Deluxe version. They also removed Sch C from both Deluxe and Premier. You can still use forms mode to manually fill-in any of these forms, but this mode is "unsupported," meaning no interview, no data import, no validation, no error-check, and no e-file. You have to print/mail and hope that manually filling out Sch D or C didn't screw up some other "supported" aspect of your return, like AMT.

Intuit seems to have a knack for aggravating long-time customers with these periodic money-grabs. They lost me as a Quicken customer a few years ago, and now it appears I'll be shopping for new tax software.
THIS!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I get the CD version every year, but had no idea that this downgrade had taken place. The 'excuse' given by the TurboTax VP would be laughable if it wasn't so insulting.

BUT ...

I loaded my copy of TT and observed that schedules C, D and E were apparently missing. Tried to open D in forms and a message popped up offering me a free upgrade to TT home and and business! So it looks as if they are letting established customers off with 'one more year'.

Either that, or I'm just very lucky!
+1. Got the free upgrade offer as well. I'm sure next year I'll have to pay for the Home and Business version in order to get C,D and E.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #24
Administrator

One reason I use the desktop version is after filing I use my return as a basis for modeling the next year. Our portfolio is all taxable, so alternate scenarios represent different amounts of capital gains. This is something I'd much rather do automatically than manually.

I'm not sure why they didn't just increase the price.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Humm, I have always used TurboTax but don't need any of those extra schedules now. I do, however, need to file a state return. Looking at H & R Block's software I can't tell if the price quoted for Basic is $16.99 + one state $39.99 (~$57) or $39.99 inclusive of state & federal. Anyone know?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #26

I've been using the H&R Block software for years. The basic version ($20 !) supports Sch D and a whole slew of others

http://www.hrblock.com/pdf/TY2014-HR...-Fed-Forms.pdf
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
Administrator

I see Vanguard just posted the TurboTax prices for this year.
Flagship customers get the Premier version for $10. Otherwise $75 (ouch). Amazon price is $70

Edit - Jumped the gun
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Humm, I have always used TurboTax but don't need any of those extra schedules now. I do, however, need to file a state return. Looking at H & R Block's software I can't tell if the price quoted for Basic is $16.99 + one state $39.99 (~$57) or $39.99 inclusive of state & federal. Anyone know?
Looks like with the Deluxe for $45 you get the Deluxe Federal plus one state

Compare Tax Filing & Tax Preparation Software Products | H&R Block®

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The lack of interview doesn't bother me for Turbo Tax deluxe schedule D but the lack of being able to efile is an issue for me. It is a deal breaker issue for me. So, it is either upgrade to Premium or switch to H&R Block. I'm thinking I will switch. I don't need the Premium features at all and it irritates me to have to buy it. I used H&R Block some years ago and it was fine, so unless someone says the H&R Block software has some issues with it, I'm inclined to just go ahead and buy it instead of Turbo Tax (would get deluxe with no state).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #30

$75 through Fidelity as well.

I'll be interested to see what Fidelity does for its Private Client folks. Last year they gave the TT Deluxe version free. This year, who knows?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If I switch to TaxAct, will TaxAct import info from last years TT?
I just checked and TaxAct says it can import if you have a PDF version from TT or HRBlock.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
unless someone says the H&R Block software has some issues with it, I'm inclined to just go ahead and buy it instead of Turbo Tax (would get deluxe with no state).
I've used the Basic for years. Never had a problem and never had a schedule that wasn't included.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One reason I use the desktop version is after filing I use my return as a basis for modeling the next year. Our portfolio is all taxable, so alternate scenarios represent different amounts of capital gains. This is something I'd much rather do automatically than manually.

I'm not sure why they didn't just increase the price.
For the same reason ice cream no longer comes in a half gallon container. They believe people won't notice it's smaller (less useful, in TT's case) as easily as they would notice the price went up. Smoke and mirrors.

I use TT Home and Business anyway, so no big deal for me. But I can certainly understand the irritation. Some companies (Intuit and Netflix are good examples) must not have a Common Sense department, considering the ways they find to piss off their customers.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Flagship customers get the Premier version for $10. Otherwise $75 (ouch). Amazon price is $70

Thanks for that info Michael!!

I got in touch with my Schwab rep and she said she could match the Vanguard offer by crediting my account at Schwab. I'm not surprised as I've had a couple of other issues where a "deal" was available from Fido or Vanguard and when I approached my rep at Schwab, she always did something to keep Schwab competitive, even on nickle and dime stuff life this.

I forwarded her the chart you posted showing the Permier $9.95 price for Flagship customers and mentioned the best retail price was $70 from Amazon. Hopefully, that will inspire her to credit my account for $60. I'll post results when she lets me know. It'll probably be Monday now.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
I just checked and TaxAct says it can import if you have a PDF version from TT or HRBlock.
Thanks KM! If Schwab doesn't come through with cheap ($10) TT Premier for me, I'm definitely heading to TaxAct. I do have PDF versions of my taxes going back several years.

Are there different versions of TaxAct?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Also $70 at Costco for Premier.

We paid $40 last year at Amazon for the Deluxe version that did Schedule D and eFile (download version). It also had the promotional refund credit - 10% bonus for refund up to $2K to go to Amazon store credit.

What constitutes a Vanguard Flagship customer?

Hmmm - I guess we'll lean on Fidelity for a perk this year.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What constitutes a Vanguard Flagship customer?
1M in vanguard funds at vanguard. Non vanguard funds don't count.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I've been using the H&R Block software for years. The basic version ($20 !) supports Sch D and a whole slew of others

http://www.hrblock.com/pdf/TY2014-HR...-Fed-Forms.pdf
Does the H&R block software import your info from your brokerage website and populate sched D for you?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
For the same reason ice cream no longer comes in a half gallon container. They believe people won't notice it's smaller (less useful, in TT's case) as easily as they would notice the price went up. Smoke and mirrors.

I use TT Home and Business anyway, so no big deal for me. But I can certainly understand the irritation. Some companies (Intuit and Netflix are good examples) must not have a Common Sense department, considering the ways they find to piss off their customers.
But people doing their own taxes with software are exactly the type of people to notice this shenanigan. And they did raise the discounted price of Deluxe $10 as far as I can tell.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #40

If they had raised the price by $10 or so we probably would have bought it anyway. But the stealth price increase by removing functionality is very annoying so we may look for alternatives. We're on mac so either HR block or use a VM with windows for tax act (fyi in addition to parallels, virtual box is free).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote