Sched D removed from TT 2014 Deluxe

I'll be getting the Premier version too since I will file a schedule D and do want to efile.

If I had to pay full price though, I'd definitely consider an alternative.

Oh yeah, I like having the program installed on my desktop too :)

Interesting thread! This year I think I am going to explore the Premier version of TT for the first time, more out of curiousity than desperation. Desperation might be the more sensible motivation but I haven't decided. :D

I love the way TT fills everything in from last year's forms, so despite my curiousity motivation I am not curious enough yet to try another brand of tax software.

I do like having the doggone CD in hand no matter the cost; this must be a solid indicator of being older than Methuselah. :wiseone:

I have used TaxCut and H&R block... It was awhile back, but I think that H&R did bring in the last years info even with a different program... it is not like they do not know the extension of every tax program out there...

I have a few CDs in my desk... but the last couple of years have done the download to my computer.... as long as it does not blow up I am good... Just checked... have 4 years of programs on it and about to be the 5th....

At least it worked that way last year. I confirmed with my rep we were doing some the same thing this year and got a bit of gobbly-gook, how she was pretty sure it would be approved but could not "guarantee".
I picked up my 2014 copy of Premier at Costco earlier this week and sent the receipt in yesterday, so should know soon.
Nwsteve

Update: Received credit from Fidelity for Premier in my Cash Reserves earlier this week. Rep apologized for the delay as she was out when I sent in the receipt. I believe I would have gotten credit for any version I wanted based on rep comment. Again this is for Private Client.
Nwsteve

I just downloaded by TT Premier from Vanguard a few minutes ago. While it works out well and I am happy, I think it is absolutely shameful the way the Intuit screens try to lead you to 1) use the online versions rather than the download version and 2) sucker you into signing up for automatic annual updates.

Update: Received credit from Fidelity for Premier in my Cash Reserves earlier this week. Rep apologized for the delay as she was out when I sent in the receipt. I believe I would have gotten credit for any version I wanted based on rep comment. Again this is for Private Client.
Nwsteve
Thanks for the info. We'll go this route from now on.

I just downloaded by TT Premier from Vanguard a few minutes ago. While it works out well and I am happy, I think it is absolutely shameful the way the Intuit screens try to lead you to 1) use the online versions rather than the download version and 2) sucker you into signing up for automatic annual updates.

+1

I also downloaded the Premier version from Vanguard and had to be careful NOT to sign up for automatic annual renewal.

The desktop download is always hard to find and I recall last year having to ask you guys where to find it on the Vanguard screens.

I also downloaded the Premier version from Vanguard and had to be careful NOT to sign up for automatic annual renewal.

The desktop download is always hard to find and I recall last year having to ask you guys where to find it on the Vanguard screens.
+1

Intuit didn't make it easy, trying to force the auto renewal on us. Took me a few attempts before I found a workaround.

Well, I went and bought and downloaded the Deluxe version of H&R Block (no state). I'm done with TurboTax...just irritated by the removing functionality (yeah, I know the schedule is still there but the no efiling is dealbreaker). And, I don't need premier just because I have this one transaction that causes me to need to use that schedule. I won't need that schedule for next year (most likely) but I'm not planning to go back to Turbo Tax.

H&R Block imported the Turbo Tax info just fine. I had to put in the amounts, but the base information imported with no difficulty.

+1

Intuit didn't make it easy, trying to force the auto renewal on us. Took me a few attempts before I found a workaround.

Gosh this is confusing. I finally navigated (I think) to download Premier, but the price doesn't show the VG discounted price but the full $89 price so I backed out :facepalm:.

Why intuit likes being cute to offend folks, I don't know :facepalm:

Update: Second time is the charm. I went back in and this time around, didn't get bounced around but instead got shaken down and coughed up $10.61 (9.99 + tax) for the Premier download. Don't ask me what I did differently than before trying to buy the software :blush:

Last edited:
Can you download TT premier to more than one computer for the quoted price? How many Fed submissions are allowed?

With the CD version it's five Fed submissions.

Also, FYI, when I emailed my Schwab rep and bitched that my Internet buddies using Fido and Vanguard were all getting their tax software for free or discounted, she told me she'd happily credit my account for whatever I pay for TT and to just email her the amount. Seems fair.

Can you download TT premier to more than one computer for the quoted price? How many Fed submissions are allowed?

Also, FYI, when I emailed my Schwab rep and bitched that my Internet buddies using Fido and Vanguard were all getting their tax software for free or discounted, she told me she'd happily credit my account for whatever I pay for TT and to just email her the amount. Seems fair.

With all the b*tching going on this year, I wonder if next year, Vanguard, Fido, Intuit will just decide to give Premier free next year. I can see the complaints using up the reps' valuable time crediting accounts. Or maybe they have nothing better to do anyhow :)

With all the b*tching going on this year, I wonder if next year, Vanguard, Fido, Intuit will just decide to give Premier free next year. I can see the complaints using up the reps' valuable time crediting accounts. Or maybe they have nothing better to do anyhow :)

Yeah, could be....... My $70 (the Amazon price for TT Premier) already hit my account and I haven't even placed the order yet!

Schwab has been very sensitive to the competition the past few years.

You know it's inevitable that they'll make TT "cloud" only, meaning no more desktop clients.

Adobe reported good quarter, higher number of subscriptions for their software, the so-called Creative Cloud. They do make the client software but it has to check over the Internet to verify you've paid up each month.

For performance reasons, they won't get rid of the client software, unless they hype cloud processing of all the filter effects.

I can't remember if you can download it to multiple computers but you can make up to 5 Fed submissions from the downloaded version.

Well dirty secret, I install it on my iMac and just copy the .app on a flash drive for my father to use.

He can't e-file though.

You know it's inevitable that they'll make TT "cloud" only, meaning no more desktop clients.

Adobe reported good quarter, higher number of subscriptions for their software, the so-called Creative Cloud. They do make the client software but it has to check over the Internet to verify you've paid up each month.

For performance reasons, they won't get rid of the client software, unless they hype cloud processing of all the filter effects.

Once that happens I will go back to Block... I only use TT now because of getting it free (well, this year $10).... but use it for three tax returns... the cloud version only give you one efile...

Once that happens I will go back to Block... I only use TT now because of getting it free (well, this year $10).... but use it for three tax returns... the cloud version only give you one efile...

But can't you just make additional accounts for the other filers?

Bogleheads are getting the Flagship $9.99 TT Premier, and than upgrading to H&B for $10, total cost H&B $19.99 + tax.

Sort of funny that the most important part of TT relative to these firms might actually be the ease of automatically populating schedule D, so I would hope this is a strong possibility. Maybe we should all call our reps and ask a lot of questions about filling out schedule d.

As a CPA (non-practicing and working in industry for decades), I look at any of these alternatives as an absolute bargain. Sure, as a frugal shopper, I want to get the best deal possible, but I've been using TT for decades and have no intention of changing for the sake of a few dollars. Yes, it's irritating that they do this and I agree that if they would allow e-file on the Deluxe version, that would be good, but I'm not interested in learning a different product or dealing with the transfer issue that are bound to be there.

Back to the bargain - When I think of the value these programs hold and think back to when I was preparing taxes, they are not even a single billed hour of a professional. What a deal for all that knowledge and ability to run scenarios and to be very confident that you're keeping up with tax law. I just wish companies would be forthcoming with this type of change and explain themselves instead of doing it on the sly.

Since I'm not too concerned about whether I mail or e-file, I'll probably just use the Deluxe version and mail. I print out a copy anyway so one more and a few stamps is no big deal. Did it that way for clients (as jr accountant) and did it that way for myself for many years but it was nice to click and file.

Back to the bargain - When I think of the value these programs hold and think back to when I was preparing taxes, they are not even a single billed hour of a professional. What a deal for all that knowledge and ability to run scenarios and to be very confident that you're keeping up with tax law. I just wish companies would be forthcoming with this type of change and explain themselves instead of doing it on the sly.

I really can't complain even if I paid full price for TT as compared to the old way. Ah, the memories of going to the library or post office in hopes they had the forms I needed so I can photocopy. Or having to flip through the various tax reference books (like Ernest & Young) to help interpret how to fill out a form.

The changes are irritating. As I wonder how many folks will not look and just pick up the same version as the previous year and only discover the changes come Schedule D or efile time.

Ah, the memories of sending in those Intuit's rebates :blush:

Back
Top Bottom