Sched D removed from TT 2014 Deluxe

No response from my guy yet but I sent him another email explaining the issue and indicating that I understand that some other Flagship customers who bought TT at $9.99 in December before Vanguard changed and made it complimentary are receiving refunds and attached the purchase confirmation I received from Intuit. Seems like a lot of work for $9.99 + tax.

My thought was, "Gee, all those Flagship customers indignant over ten bucks." Then again, that's how they got to be Flagship...;)

Amethyst
People wonder what ERs do all day. :rolleyes:

Between hanging around this forum and haggling over a $10 tax program, who has time for anything else?

My guy replied again today, thanking me for the order details and said he will get back to me in a few days.

Success!

I received this email from Intuit a few minutes ago:

Important: Billing correction on your TurboTax order

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for your recent purchase of TurboTax Premier via the Vanguard TurboTax website.
On December 29, 2014, the price paid by Vanguard Flagship customers for TurboTax Premier was reduced to $0.00. Although you purchased the product before the price reduction, we still want you to be able to benefit from this added discount. As a result, we are refunding the $9.99 you paid for TurboTax Premier.
[/FONT]
Ca-ching! :LOL:

Nice. Go out and splurge on something. :)

So, what date did you buy?

Refund

I just received the same e-mail that REWahoo did re: refund. I also paid the $9.99 a few weeks ago. I wasn't going to bother to ask for a refund for such a small amount, so this a nice little gift. :flowers:

Now what to do with the windfall...

LOL!

I was so delighted to get my Fidelity TT download of premier for free. I was all set to get indignant, but I didn't have to! :D

+1

When I called my Schwab rep to[-] bitch[/-] get indignant about Vanguard giving away TT while Schwab was doing nothing for me, she immediately offered to reimburse me for whatever I paid for TT Premier. When I said I hadn't purchased it yet, she asked how much I anticipated it would cost. I told her I had seen it for $70 on Amazon and she told me to check my account and I'd find that $70 had been journaled in. I checked it. It had been. She must have been typing as we talked!

This worked out well since I prefer to have the physical CD in hand.

I never even got to get worked up, moan, groan or utter a harsh word. Sheeesh.......

Last edited:
Party time :dance:

I just got this response from Vanguard tonight.

Vanguard has submitted a request to Turbo Tax to refund your payment. The refund will actually come from Turbo Tax and show up as a credit on your credit card statement. Please allow a few weeks for this to happen.

Do not have a link to the article....

But read that H&R Block is giving away their program for FREE for anybody who bought TT Deluxe and needs a sch D or C.... you have to send an email with info etc. and show that you did purchase...

I think this is great... give it away for one year and get a good number of people converted to your program for years to come... you know these customers will be pissed and will probably never go back to TT....

I used them for 10 to 12 before getting the free TT..... would use them again if I had to pay...

'
I bought on 12/21. Tomorrow I'll send an email asking for a refund. Resend, actually, I already asked once. :)

When I asked TT for a credit they said that they will send an email, never got it.
Tried a second time never got an email, but had a credit for $10.61 on my CC the next day.

Just saw this article from NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/y...xe-is-not-as-deluxe-as-previous-versions.html

"
Nevertheless, H&R Block jumped at the chance to lure some users away from its larger rival. Block is offering anyone who bought TurboTax’s basic or deluxe software a free download of its own deluxe software. (Block says it has 7.1 million do-it-yourself customers; more than five million use the online product and two million use its desktop software.)
Here are some questions about tax software for filing 2014 taxes
How do I take advantage of the no-cost upgrade offer?
To get the free H&R Block deluxe program, you must provide proof, such as an invoice, that you bought a TurboTax basic or deluxe program and email it to switchtoblock@hrblock.com. The company will then send a link for a free download. (Block’s deluxe software sells for $44.95 as a download on its website).
TurboTax is working with unhappy customers “case by case,” said Ms. Gatlin. Mr. Dworsky of Consumer World said he called Intuit to complain and was offered a free upgrade. He advised others who were unhappy to do the same thing."

Flagship clients have to get a rebate from Intuit or from Vanguard?

I just logged in and it shows $10 for the Premier, as was the case last year, free for the Deluxe

So 80% of their customers are online and so were impacted by the upgrade last year? Really? Maybe the folks who needed schedule D didn't do online. Or maybe people with more complex tax returns don't tolerate entering their financial data online. Something just doesn't smell right.

J
"
Nevertheless, H&R Block jumped at the chance to lure some users away from its larger rival. Block is offering anyone who bought TurboTax’s basic or deluxe software a free download of its own deluxe software. (Block says it has 7.1 million do-it-yourself customers; more than five million use the online product and two million use its desktop software.)
H&R Block sent me a solicitation/disk in the mail (I'd used them before, been using TT for the last 3 years).

- "Deluxe" and one state are free (incl 5 federal e-files, one state program and e-file). Deluxe does Sched D.

- "Premier" costs $24.95, all of the above plus Schedule C (for sole proprietors) and some help with real estate.

Right now I'm planning to go with H&R Block, despite the possible pain of re-learning how to make it do what I want. I liked it before (just as well as TT overall--some things better, some things not as much), they seem to want my business, and Intuit's present machinations (and the memory of their previous affronts to customers) make me feel okay about swapping. Even buying the disks at Staples, H&R Block's products tended to be about 25% less expensive for the stuff I needed (Schedules D and C, etc)

All this hassle can't be worth Vanguard's time. If H&R Block is smart, they'll 1) start calling the software TaxCut again instead of--whatever non-name they are using now and 2) They have some good salespeople approaching Vanguard, Fido, and others with a great offer for a tie-in with their product.

Last edited:
This is the first time since TT came out for sale that I will do my taxes (and the kid's) with other software. Now I will use H&R Block.

Wow. Looks like a TurboTax PR disaster in the works over on Amazon.

They have indeed removed Sch D support from the 2014 Deluxe version. They also removed Sch C from both Deluxe and Premier. You can still use forms mode to manually fill-in any of these forms, but this mode is "unsupported," meaning no interview, no data import, no validation, no error-check, and no e-file. You have to print/mail and hope that manually filling out Sch D or C didn't screw up some other "supported" aspect of your return, like AMT.

Intuit seems to have a knack for aggravating long-time customers with these periodic money-grabs. They lost me as a Quicken customer a few years ago, and now it appears I'll be shopping for new tax software.
I can understand why they removed Sched C it was catching filers offguard and not the IRS. I believe people got tangled up with RE deductions and it cost folks audits and lots of money. A sibling of mine being one of them. Now there situation might be unique but some items should have been guided into a Sched E using the software and were not...

Back
Top Bottom