Join Early Retirement Today

Score One for Suze Orman
Old 09-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Score One for Suze Orman

Okay - I occasionally watch the SO show for entertainment value
DH can't stand the women and makes me change the channel.

DH and I have one grown daughter (just turned 25). We adore her, but we are also realistic about her strengths and weaknesses. We have mentally perpared ourselves for having to support her again sometime in the future (just not sure if she ever listened or learned from our LBYMs lifestyle). We were thrilled when she finally got a job with healthcare insurance!

Anyway, maybe she didn't listen to us, but she sure listens to Suze. She watches her show and has read several of her books. She cleaned up her credit, created a budget, got pre-approved for a mortgage and is now just waiting for the paperwork to close on a townhome outside of Portland, Oregon (will be relocating from Washington to Oregon this month). She did everything on her own - kept us updated, but never asked for any help.

Last week she came by the house to pick up a package. It was something she bought from Suze Orman called the Ultimate Protection Portfolio. A water resistant case with CDs, folders, forms etc. for organizing all your records in one spot. If she follows through on completing the package, she will be more organized and prepared then DH and I.

So, I have a kinder view of Ms. Orman now.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A friend of mine who never saved for retirement took Orman to heart and she started contributing to an IRA. She also took a second job to pay off her debt. So I say good for Suze.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
A friend of mine who never saved for retirement took Orman to heart and she started contributing to an IRA. She also took a second job to pay off her debt. So I say good for Suze.
I went to a Suze Orman presentaion with a friend from the forum. Orman was a very good speaker, and judging from the audience reception her message got through well.

I give her 5 stars. Maybe not for the types on this board, but for the other 95% of Americans.

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I went to a Suze Orman presentaion with a friend from the forum. Orman was a very good speaker, and judging from the audience reception her message got through well.

I give her 5 stars. Maybe not for the types on this board, but for the other 95% of Americans.

Ha
I agree. Anyone who gets people to hear the message and act is serving a useful purpose. Whatever it takes.....
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Well said.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Suze does a good job of 'connecting' with the people who need her message the most. I think she understands that exactly. She's good at it, and has the NW to prove it.

If she were to sit around a table of the most analytical members of this forum, and was told up-front what the make up of that group was, I would not be surprised if she could hold her own.

Other than the hypocrisy in that car lease (loan?) commercial she did, I don't think too many here really fault her advice. Maybe consider it simplistic, but not bad, not shark bait or dangerous or anything. Unlike many of the popular 'advisors'.

Pretty cynical group, I think that says a lot.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #7

Several years ago I saw her show a few times, then got a hold of a couple of her books to read. As one who was eyeball deep in CC debt, and had preformed some financially stupid things, what I heard and read set me on the right path! Once I got through the basics, and got ALL of the CC debt paid off....in full...in a relatively short period of time, got started on getting my estate set in order, set up a Roth IRA, and other stuff like that, then I got a hold of things like "The Four Pillars", "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", and one of my favorites "The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need" by Andrew Tobias.

She does the basics very well, and is a great starting point for the 'financially challenged' as well as young'uns just beginning their walk into the real world.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Suze Orman is approachable. My 80 year old mother listens to her. If this is what it takes to make my 80 year old mother somewhat financially literate, it's great to me.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #9

Suze's advice is usually solid, and given the audience she's trying to reach, rather basic ... but i find it painful to listen to her.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Dog, you must be so proud of your daughter--finances under control, buying her own place. That is great!

Agree that Suze makes people believe in their own ability to tackle their finances--my clueless DH will sometimes quote something she said that he read in the paper, and if it gets through to him, she is doing a great job!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

While I don't care for either Suze or Dave and don't always agree with their advice (plus can't stand their style), they offer better alternatives to being wasteful and going into bankruptcy. In the Rich Dad thread, someone said that hearing him speak started them into financial awareness so I have to give Kiyosaki some credit.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #12

I like both Suze and Dave. Both preach debt management which a great deal of people don't seem to understand. After you get past that I turn my mind off knowing most of it borders on bs.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit, I quickly move to the next channel whenever I see her. But, if she is getting the message across to the ones that need it, more power to her.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #14

I hope everyone enjoys this spoof of suze

FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
Suze's advice is usually solid, and given the audience she's trying to reach, rather basic ... but i find it painful to listen to her.
Amen to that! A number of years ago I checked out one of her books on tape from the library to listen to on a long drive. I couldn't fault the advice but also found her painful to listen to.

Someone else mentioned the ad from a few years ago (for Chevy, I think.) IIRC, she was pitching their 0% financing as a good deal. Whether it was or not, I thought that compromised her position as a financial guru since she was obviously getting paid for the endorsement.

But, on balance, if it works....
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #16

Besides I think Suze is hot for a lesbian.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Dog, congrats on your daughter's success with Suze's advice. It's great that she found this when she is still in her 20's.

My girlfriend and her husband are 49 and 56. They have been struggling with debt for their entire married life, oscillating between feeling flush with a new job and buying a fancy new car, and then a few months later the payments and some minor emergency hit and they struggle to even put food on the table.

Girlfriend and husband saw a presentation of Dave Ramsey's method and, thankfully, it really resonated with them. They used their stimulus check to achieve Step 1 ($1,000 emergency fund) and now they are working on Step 2 (debt snowball) with a vengence. I sure hope they can stick with this. The very likely alternative is that they will work until they are disabled and then lose their house when their small social security checks cannot cover the payments.

I pretty much ignore Suze and Dave, but I appreciate that they provide good, sound advice that resonates with many people.

--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I saw this and it made me giggle.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I saw this and it made me giggle.

Ok CFB you are killing it for me buddy..
Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Besides I think Suze is hot for a lesbian.
Of course, that's what it means to be a lesbian.

Ha