Scorpions, rattlesnakes and #@%$*&! property taxes

I still think it's on the high side of what's fair but I figured I'd lock in this sure thing reduction this year, and if the other homes haven't "caught up" next year I'll likely repeat the process.

Sounds reasonable. You can take satisfaction in moving them from a planned increase to what looks to be a ~10% decrease. One heck of a lot better than I ended up...

Depends on where you buy and how much you'll have in exemptions. For us -- a homestead but no other exemptions -- it would have been $1,292 with the original appraisal.

With our reduction in appraisal, plugging in the numbers looks like it will be $1,119. Heck, that $173 savings this year buys a tank of gas.... :p

When we first moved here in '06, we inherited a senior exemption AND a disabled exemption for that year from the prior occupant, and we paid about $230 in property tax.

Thanks, high but not as bad as I thought. I am paying Missouri $4300 a year between the state income tax and the house tax. That's why I am looking at Texas. The homestead in texas is 15k if I remember right?

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Depends on where you buy and how much you'll have in exemptions. For us -- a homestead but no other exemptions -- it would have been $1,292 with the original appraisal.

With our reduction in appraisal, plugging in the numbers looks like it will be $1,119. Heck, that $173 savings this year buys a tank of gas....

When we first moved here in '06, we inherited a senior exemption AND a disabled exemption for that year from the prior occupant, and we paid about $230 in property tax.

Thanks, high but not as bad as I thought. I am paying Missouri $4300 a year between the state income tax and the house tax. That's why I am looking at Texas.

You know that the people in NJ are laughing at both of us.

You know that the people in NJ are laughing at both of us.
Well yeah -- both Texas and Jersey have very high property tax rates, but at least in TX property values are generally not too high. Jersey has the double whammy of a high rate AND high housing costs. Add to that the NJ state income tax and they really take it in the shorts -- at least TX can justify the high property taxes with the lack of an income tax.

Back
Top Bottom