Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Scott Burns: Stave off old-age poverty
Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Not only was it a lot cheaper, I got paid.* Apprenticeship?
TH, you remind me of this story.*

A couple years ago the military was rolling out a new computer system to help us all evaluate our skills & experience in terms of college credits.* The idea was to motivate people to get their college degrees by showing them how they probably already had a semester or two of "life experience" that could be converted to actual credits.

The beta testing involved sitting a bunch of actual sailors of different specialties in front of the software while clipboard-toting monitors checked the system's human-engineering useability.* As the hour ticked by, one grizzled E-8 became progressively more upset.* Eventually he began to vocalize his displeasure.

When the monitors checked on his "problem", it turned out that the program had just awarded him more than 150 credits of lifetime experience.* He already had the equivalent of a bachelors and was well on his way to a masters.* The irony was that the only educational certificates he possessed were his ASVAB scores and a GED.* (The Juvie judge had agreed to expunge his other "certificates" if he'd join the military.)

So, TH, next time your self-esteem is feeling fragile (I know, I know, but stick with me here just for the sake of the discussion) you might check into CLEP testing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Apprenticeship?
That is a great approach.* * Basically, the only thing college does for you is to define the curriculum and then set the pace for going through the material.* * A curriculum is a useful short-cut, since the alternatives are either a shotgun approach or a depth-first approach as you learn on an as-needed basis.* * And having them set the pace for you is useful if you don't have much self-discipline.

Since I've retired, I would love to find apprenticeships in a bunch of fields -- horticulture, furniture making, architecture, etc.* * I'm not making nearly as much progress on my own in these areas as I'd like to.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thinking back on it, it was a good first job. The owners brother also worked there and he was his classes valedictorian in finance at princeton.

Nords...what the hell would I do with a degree anyhow? I'm already an ordained minister, and thats funny enough!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords...what the hell would I do with a degree anyhow?
What, without a résumé to stick it in? I've been asking myself the same thing since I ER'd.

I think a degree is designed to remind you of why you aren't going back to school even if you now have the time to do so.

Quote:
I'm already an ordained minister, and thats funny enough!
Travesty of justice, maybe, but funny?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Immoral, perhaps, but travesty of justice?!?

I'm surprised the church that ordained me didnt instantaneously burst into flames...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm surprised the church that ordained me didnt instantaneously burst into flames...
Do those snakes ever bite back?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Do those snakes ever bite back?
Watch it youbet, you're copmpeting with T-AL for nasal milk reactions.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #28

I would have to agree that it's not how much education you have but how the education applies to your career.

I have a BSEE and got a high tech job out of school, and I'm now semi-retired at 35. I think my degree got me the job, but most of my actual learning took place on the job.

My sister got a Masters of Divinity, decided she didn't want to be a minister, and now owes a few of years of salary towards her student debts which continue to compound.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I'm afraid that many of my fellow Americans will find a need to hone their retirement skills to include the art of panhandling. They have not discovered the time-honored skill of delayed gratification, or living below ones means.

I anticipate that they (or some of you perhaps) will be knocking on my door sometime in the next 30-40 years and asking me for a scrap of bread for a needy fellow citizen. I'll probably have to sic the hounds on them, but I will justify it by recalling that I did not purchase every year that BMW in the 90's like they did. I only had a Toyota Camry that I kept for 12 years. I invested the difference and that, my friend, is reality.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Watch it youbet, you're copmpeting with T-AL for nasal milk reactions.
Thanks. It's nice to finally start to feel included!