Screwed Up Taxes - IRS Corrected - Do I Need to do Anything?

Marc

Recycles dryer sheets
I was sloppy doing my taxes and didn't double check my estimated tax payments. I had decreased after 4/15/22 payment forgetting that I had paid more for that one payment. So, IRS, being smarter than me, has added that $1,000 to my refund. Do I need to file an amended return or is the IRS correction sufficient?

thanks,

Marc (feeling stupid)

PS Found out that I can't correct typos in thread title.

Last edited:
No, you don't need to file an amended return if you agree with the change that the IRS made.

I was sloppy doing my taxes and didn't double check my estimated tax payments. I had decreased after 4/15/22 payment forgetting that I had paid more for that one payment. So, IRS, being smarter than me, has added that $1,000 to my refund.

I've always wondered why the IRS just doesn't DO our taxes for us. They have all the relevant records.

We could just send in our separate list of tax deductibles and let them figure it all out, send us a bill or a refund. It could be so simple. It's kind of like: "If you're always right, why are you asking me?"

I've always wondered why the IRS just doesn't DO our taxes for us. They have all the relevant records.

We could just send in our separate list of tax deductibles and let them figure it all out, send us a bill or a refund. It could be so simple. It's kind of like: "If you're always right, why are you asking me?"

Absolutely. All my income is covered with 1099's W2's etc. If I missed one of those they'd be all over me. I believe many first world countries take the auto bill approach. I'd comment further but am sure it would enter into forbidden territory.

Because that would be stepping on the toes of the big tax prep companies who have a large number of well paid lobbyists on Capitol Hill. Not trying to venture into forbidden territory but this is well known.

That’s how it works in the UK for the majority of folks, they don’t even have to file a return if HMRC have copies of all their records, equivalents of W2, 1099s etc.

Self employed, or people with foreign income or others with more complex streams of income and expenses that HMRC don’t know about have to file returns.

me?"

I have lived in places where that is actually an option! I found that they were not as diligent about finding deductions as I was, so it was not a good deal. No surprise... plus: where they lack actual data, they will make assumptions that rarely go in your favor.

I have lived in places where that is actually an option! I found that they were not as diligent about finding deductions as I was, so it was not a good deal. No surprise...

Yeah but, with the current tax structure the great majority of us are covered by the standard deduction. Fits in nicely with an auto bill plan. Unless you have SALT concerns.

Back
Top Bottom