Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Secured Part of our Retirement Today
Old 05-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Secured Part of our Retirement Today

With retirement coming up, I decided to sell $210,000 of stocks today. This money (plus another $25,000) will be used in a year to buy an annuity of $12,000 per year. The annuity will start at age 50, have a cola of 3%, and will last until both me and my wife are dead.

This will provide about a third of our base expenses and about a sixth of our expected withdrawal. I could have let it ride until the end in stocks but with only a year left and the market up it felt like the right thing to do.

Feedback welcome and I also want to thank everyone here for a great forum. The discussion and knowledge found here is incredible.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

There are a lot of mixed feelings about Annuities. They are a high profit item that is sold. And they do provide a stable income.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Retire! Im a full bellied pensioner here, so if I said anything else it would be hypocrisy. I wont even worry about digging into the numbers. The bottom line is you secured a base of your income with a cola bump. You will sleep better knowing you have that secured base to build off of.
One should have the luxury of bit of peace of mind in retirement shouldn't they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

Surprised at that pricing. Start at 50 with a 5.1% yield and 3% COLA for two people. Sounds pretty good in this current rate environment.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If it works for you, great. I think the key is balance and diversity in the income producing investments. While annuities are not for me, they can help diversify income sources and, as such, can be great for many people.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, not for me but if it gives you some peace of mind well worth it.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Variable or Fixed?
Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Surprised at that pricing. Start at 50 with a 5.1% yield and 3% COLA for two people. Sounds pretty good in this current rate environment.

Well done. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Me too, I'm surprised by the payout. Is it a SPIA?

bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Good Luck. Between SS and Pensions I didnt want another annuity, so I created my own annuity. I'll tell you how it works in a few years.

Gerry
tndiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sounds too good to be true... the payout rate for a fixed SPIA with a $235k premium for a 50 yo couple with benefits starting in a year is only $997/month on immediateannuities.com .... and COLAed SPIAs are more expensive. My BS meter has turned red....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #11

Thanks for the responses. I'm not really into annuities, do not even know what variable, fixed, or SPIA means. This is an optional annuity offered by the state for teachers. It is more like a benefit I guess instead of something sold to us.

There were no fees or anything for this. It is legit and as far as I can tell too good not to do it.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am not a fan of annuities and would suggest high grade bonds instead. I do support reducing equities on the eve of RE.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounds too good to be true... the payout rate for a fixed SPIA with a $235k premium for a 50 yo couple with benefits starting in a year is only $997/month on immediateannuities.com .... and COLAed SPIAs are more expensive. My BS meter has turned red....
i agree , there is more here then the poster is aware of .

likely it is one of those guaranteed growth rates with monopoly money that counts towards annuitization but is not really your money .

i saw one that had a guaranteed 5.50% growth rate and it really did . but for each year you delay annuitizing you only get 1/10% more in draw against that monopoly money balance when you annuitize it .

you cannot access or have that money in any other way .

they all work the same way . if anyone wants i can go in to more detail how these guaranteed growth rate plans work .

all you ever really get other then the annuity money is your actual account balance which is linked to some investment you can never do well in .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

From my MegaCorp pension data, at age 52 years 7 months (sorry, my only datapoint) $235k from 401k for a "Pension Purchase Option" gives $12.6k/year additional on a 100% Joint & Survivor Level Benefit. No COLA though! RetireAge50, you have a much sweeter choice than I do, because of the COLA. Congrats!
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #15

What the OP is purchasing is not a commercially available annuity, but a pension substitute offered by the Washington state retirement system for teachers.

Purchasing an Annuity or Service Credit

If the OP could post more details or a better link describing what he is buying, that would help explain what s/he is doing.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
What the OP is purchasing is not a commercially available annuity, but a pension substitute offered by the Washington state retirement system for teachers.
Too bad... it's a much better looking annuity than what I've been offered by my megacorp.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
If the OP could post more details or a better link describing what he is buying, that would help explain what s/he is doing.
Here is a link:
http://www.drs.wa.gov/publications/m...nnuity.htm#tap

Seems like one of those opportunities you have to take advantage of and also a good time to move from stocks in preparation to execute this.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'm not really into annuities, do not even know what variable, fixed, or SPIA means. This is an optional annuity offered by the state for teachers. It is more like a benefit I guess instead of something sold to us.

There were no fees or anything for this. It is legit and as far as I can tell too good not to do it.

You got a nice deal RetireAge50 and, IMHO, you would have made a mistake to not take it. It was a bit misleading, however, to describe it as simply an "annuity."

As long as your state pension fund for teachers is in excellent shape and your state has a history of funding it consistently using sound actuarial principles, you can't go wrong with what you're getting for the price.

In Illinois, even with attractive numbers like you got, I would have never done it since the politicians are intent on collecting fully and not paying at all or paying partially. It would be like buying an annuity from an insurance company rated CCC.

I do have a couple of questions:

The link you gave says that the cola is "up to 3%." Does that mean you might get less than 3% under certain circumstances such as inflation being less than 3%?

In your pension system, do you also contribute to and receive SS?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We took our non-COLA pensions as annuities instead of lump sums. We were interested in diversification and a unique income stream unrelated to our portfolio income. Our pensions are mostly non-COLA, but they offset a low fixed rate mortgage we will not pay off early.

We ran the numbers of lump sum vs. annuities and decided the annuities worked best for us.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What the OP is purchasing is not a commercially available annuity, but a pension substitute offered by the Washington state retirement system for teachers....
That was not apparent from the OP.... sweet deal if you can get it...good decision by OP... I would have taken it too.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote