Self-sabotaging FIRE - A PostSecret-like confession

dadu007

Recycles dryer sheets
Since 2013, I have spent ~ $31,000 on vintage film camera equipment. :( I have sold much of it back (at a loss, for sure).
In hindsight, I wish I had trimmed down the mortgage using that cash.
It was like I had to go through the process to get it out of my system; it did teach me many things in regards to my likes and dislikes and creative process in photography, but still...many (most?) of my purchases were impulse buys and gave me a momentary hit of dopamine to cope with my work stress and job dissatisfaction (at least that's what the psychoanalyst in my head says!). Also, FOMO...also, I knew I wouldn't be able to afford this equipment after the paychecks stop.

I am hoping by laying this on the table for others to see that I can forgive myself and move more quickly on the retirement plan.

Thank you for listening. :)

Anybody else is welcome to share a similar tale, or not.

Check out the reference to PostSecret here:

https://postsecret.com/

I have gone through a similar thing with hobbies ... kayaks, buying expensive telescopes and gear, etc.
I have been slowing down but, I want a nice telescope before I retire to hang onto.

One day, after my divorce, my ex invited me to go back to our garage and take anything I wanted, other than a few things she'd stacked in a corner. There was almost nothing I wanted, or needed, yet just about every square inch of wall space had some tool hanging from it. I remember thinking, "every one of these things represents a decision I made, to drive to Sears (or someplace) and pay money for something that now seems to have no useful function for me." That was 1996. I have learned from that experience. But I have not necessarily always put what I learned from that experience into practice.

Back
Top Bottom