Selling gold as in jewelry & tooth fillings?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone ever sold any gold jewelry and the gold that comes out of teeth? I have a ton of gold pieces that have been hanging in a lot box for forever. These are pieces not worth passing on to descendants. I would like to get rid of all of it and make a little money off it, too.
Any suggestions as to: Is this a good time to sell the gold? Where do I go to sell it? I did sell a ring once to a pawn shop owner who was a client, so I know jewelry can go to pawn shops; but, isn't there a better place than a pawn shop?:confused:
Where do you get rid of the gold from teeth? I assume it is usable?:confused:

Oh, REWahoo, you are SO funny...
Did I mention anything about the market at all? NO.
It seems you are on some personal vendetta here as I read the entire thread about panic in the market, and I don't see the snippy comments I seem to get from you always in my threads. What's your deal?

Just trying to lighten up a dreary morning. Sorry you took it personally, it wasn't intended to be an insult. I'll refrain from responding to anything you have to say in the future.

I was in sales and sales management for over 30 years, so, with my thick skin, if I get offended, it's pretty extreme, tiring or unnecessary. I vote for unnecessary. Thanks, anyway.

An oral surgeon told me that the typical gold crown that you are invoiced $700+ for has less than $40 worth of gold.

I think you can still deposit them in Swiss banks. :p

I've sold some gold jewelry to private jewelry stores . I've also sold to those people who put adds in the paper " One day only buying gold ,coins and silver " .Not sure if I got the best price but it was easy and painless and I did not want the jewelry .

...........Not sure if I got the best price but it was easy and painless and I did not want the jewelry .

Yea, I ditched my old wedding ring, too. ^-^

....guess we all want to get rid of those old wedding rings. My friend said to save it for my son when he gets married? Uh...we got a divorce, so why would you give him THAT ring to give to someone?
I've got chains, rings, pendants, everything. Alot of what I want to dump are small items less than $100 each, but I will never wear them as I don't wear yellow gold at all. I see them as just more crap in the lot box now. Moved them from place to place, and it seems just a waste of energy. Not worth keeping and too good to throw in the wastebasket.
Saving all the good stuff for the descendants to get--after I use them, of course. Got plenty to pass on, so I just need a place to dump this inexpensive stuff.
Maybe I, too, will try one of those "We buy your old gold" places. They advertise on tv here all the time. I just figured they were rip-offs, tho.

My local scrap metals dealer buys gold. Maybe try searching for a local scrap metals guy - they'll usually pay you close to spot market prices for gold bullion like in teeth. The jewelry could certainly be sold as bulk gold, but it might be worth more to a jewelry shop or pawn shop that will resell as jewelry and not melt down.

Orchidflower - I found this with a google search. Seems like good advice.

Now could be time to sell gold jewelry | The San Diego Union-Tribune

I agree the "we buy your old gold" places sound like a rip-off - at least the one that advertises in my area does.

I would think a reputable jeweler would at least be able to give you advice on the best way to sell, although I imagine there would be a charge for an appraisal.

Oh, REWahoo, you are SO funny...
Did I mention anything about the market at all? NO.
I think REW's not the only one with a warped sense of humor. Among hundreds of posters on the ER board serving up fat slow pitches, too, I don't think he's singling out any particular poster.

I have to admit that I read your "yellow financial journalism" thread and then saw this one, and felt that their coincidental juxtaposition is just too good a setup to pass by! Unfortunately he gets up earlier in the morning than I do so he usually delivers the best punchlines.

As for gold prices, every town has a bulk-dealer business who'll give you 10-20 cents on the dollar. At these prices, pretty soon we'll start reading the traditional stories about family silver service and Olympic medals being ripped off by [-]burglars[/-] precious-metal entrepreneurs. I tried to sell 20 pounds of solid copper wire to a recycler last month, but Hawaii's recent copper thefts made that more difficult than selling bulk ephidrine on street corners.

I don't know if you'll get the price of a good dinner or a mortgage payment, but it's probably of better decluttering value than a way to raise cash to buy more Berkshire Hathaway shares.

Its funny that this topic has come up. My mom used to work for a gold plating operation before she took ER when the place shut down. She brought over a bucket with 13 pounds of gold plated electronic contact pins and asked me to find a gold recycler. I sent the stuff to Precious Metal Refiners of Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium / Gold Refiner/ Platinum Refiner/ Silver Refiner/ Gold Refining/ Platinum Refining/ Silver Refining/ Specialty Metals Refining Company yesterday. According to the website the accept all types of gold scrap. Do a google search on gold recyclers and you will find a lot of place that will buy your gold.

I have jewelry with no sentimental value (Mom died - should have paid more attention when she used to explain things to me <sigh>) but also some buillion type stuff and "maple leaf" - that's what Mom used to say when she brought gold pieces home. How else to get rid of them? Where did Mom buy this stuff from and why can't I sell it back to them?! I'm sure she got them from some jewelry store in Chinatown... I think. Should inquire the next time I go down there.

As gold hits record prices above $900 an ounce, hordes of metro Detroiters, mostly women, are flocking to private house parties to sell their broken gold chains, mismatched earrings, class rings and other gold jewelry they no longer wear.

Bring gold; take home cash. "It is found money," explains house party proprietor Gail Kenny of Grosse Pointe Shores. "It's a bad economy ... People are looking for a way to get cash."

TURNING JEWELRY TO CASH: Bring your gold to this party

Thank you, travelover, for that great article! Who would-uh thunk of it:confused:?

Funny thing which I forgot about until just now when I read Nords' post about selling copper.

When I lived on the east coast, I was going to do some plumbing and a friend in the business apparently had some copper pipe fall off his truck in my driveway. I stuffed it under my shed which was raised about 10 inches off the ground. At least a thousand pounds worth. Its probably still there. I never got around to the replumbing.

When the new owner gets around to replacing that shed (and its probably due) and tears it down, he might find he's got a way to pay for the new one...

Thank you, travelover, for that great article! Who would-uh thunk of it:confused:?

This article also tells you something about the current economy in Michigan. I think we must be the only state with a net export from the blood banks... :p

My dentist was kind enough to only charge me his cost for some replacement gold crowns he did for me. The actual price he was invoiced was around $70 per crown.
He showed me the material data sheets from the supplier, and the supplier offered all kinds of formulas ranging from just a few percent gold up to mine which was the most expensive and highest gold percent at 77%.

That $70 cost presumably includes the molding services, so the actual gold value is likely trivial.

I suppose this comes down to a question of how much does it cost to test products for gold percentage. I would assume the test probably costs enough that it's not worth doing for small items like crowns and normal jewelry, so getting 10-20 cents on the dollar may be a good deal.

When I lived on the east coast, I was going to do some plumbing and a friend in the business apparently had some copper pipe fall off his truck in my driveway. ..
Bunny, is this similar to the cases of cigarettes that fall off trucks in New Jersey?

Ha

This article also tells you something about the current economy in Michigan. I think we must be the only state with a net export from the blood banks... :p

Why's that, did you guys get rid of Detroit? (see, 'cause of the high crime.. you can't convince me otherwise, I saw all of the robocop movies! and I was a yooper)

Bunny, is this similar to the cases of cigarettes that fall off trucks in New Jersey?

Pretty similar. I had a lot of friends in different businesses back there and often came home to a driveway full of something. Copper pipe, split hardwood, etc.

Wish I'd had a friend in the diamond and/or nubile women business. ::)

Back
Top Bottom