Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Selling my house. Could use some advice
Old 12-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you have no intention of listing with an agent don't waste his/her time by having them come to your house. They have familes and bills just like you. If you need to get info get it by phone.
nellieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2005, 12:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MJ,

I sold my residential condo in Chapel Hill, NC recently FSBO. It was a big hassle, all just to save $6000 or so in commission. I'm sure I got a price as high as I could have gotten with a realtor. The problem was I had a lot of people just starting to look at properties, and not really ready to buy. For me, it was a 30+ mile drive up to the condo to show it, and I had to prep it before each showing. Sometimes I would have no-shows who didn't call to cancel. I must have shown the place 30 times before I sold it sight-unseen to a couple from California. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would have gone with a 1% or flat fee $599 for the listing agent, and then paid the 2.4 or 3% commission to the buying agent. My place spent six months on the market before I decided to rent it out for a while. Then I eventually re-listed it as an investment property (with high-quality tenants in place), and it sold pretty quickly.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellieb
If you have no intention of listing with an agent don't waste his/her time by having them come to your house. They have familes and bills just like you. If you need to get info get it by phone.
They sent me a letter a while back and I decided to call out of curiousity. I told them I really didn't plan on using a broker at the present time. Even though I was upfront with them, they still suggested I see their broker. I figured I have nothing to lose. I was hoping to get information and the broker was hoping to sway me. It was a investment of time on both of us.

Thanks for telling me what I NEED to do.

MJ
Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #24

MJ

I sold my last house using Help U sell. The Help U sell broker did the advertising, put up the sign outside and loaned me the signs to put up for openhouses. I did the open houses. He also did all the contract paperwork and opened escrow. For that, I paid $4950.

I could have added MLS for an additional fee, but didn't feel I needed it. Had the broker brought in the buyer, the fee would have been double. My house sold for 324K, and the 6% sales fee would have been more than 19K had I used a full price broker.

I will use the service again when I sell this house.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
MJ

I sold my last house using Help U sell.* The Help U sell broker did the advertising, put up the sign outside and loaned me the signs to put up for openhouses.* I did the open houses.* He also did all the contract paperwork and opened escrow.* For that, I paid $4950.*

I could have added MLS for an additional fee, but didn't feel I needed it.* Had the broker brought in the buyer, the fee would have been double.* *My house sold for 324K, and the 6% sales fee would have been more than 19K had I used a full price broker.*

I will use the service again when I sell this house.
I used the same company too. My experience was less than positive but I believe it was more due to the @sshole agent and not the company itself. I did save a couple of thousand by using them but the aggravation factor was very high. He could not find a buyer himself and keep pissing off anyone who saw the house by constant followups with them. Another broker found a buyer so I still ended up paying 4-5% commission on the sale. He used MLS and some recorded drive by radio gadget along with fliers and a listing on the Help U Sell website. Other than that, he only had a ton of excuses.

Next time will be after I am retired and I will have more time to supervise an agent. I would do it again but with additional control over when I can fire the jerk.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ

I need to find a lawyer and I was wondering, since this is a residential property, should I still get an RE attorney or will a general practice attorney do just as good a job to protect and advise me.

Hi MJ,

If the RE transaction is not complicated you shouldnt need to pay for a high priced atty. to do the deal. In a similar situation, my broker recommended a new, young lawyer who would take the job cheap reasonably. It was a cut and dry deal and I saved a bundle.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Hi MJ,
If the RE transaction is not complicated you shouldnt need to pay for a high priced atty. to do the deal. In a similar situation, my broker recommended a new, young lawyer who would take the job cheap reasonably. It was a cut and dry deal and I saved a bundle.
Spoke to one of my neighbors who gave me the name of the lawyer who handle his house purchase many years ago. My neighbor was very impressed with his RE knowledge. I called the lawyer today. After an informative conversation, I asked what his services would cost me he said $4k. Is that reasonable in a large city like NYC?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Spoke to one of my neighbors who gave me the name of the lawyer who handle his house purchase many years ago. My neighbor was very impressed with his RE knowledge. I called the lawyer today. After an informative conversation, I asked what his services would cost me he said $4k. Is that reasonable in a large city like NYC?

Absolutley not
Some lawyers outside of Manhattan will do a closing for $1000 maybe less. In the city more but not 4k.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

$4000! I am appalled. I just reviewed a purchase agreement for a friend and will do the deed for the closing. Did it for nothing--will take less than an hour of my time.

Usually a title company does the closing, especially if financing is involved.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
$4000! I am appalled.* I just reviewed a purchase agreement for a friend and will do the deed for the closing.* Did it for nothing--will take less than an hour of my time.*

Usually a title company does the closing, especially if financing is involved.
I have usually just figured between myself, the title company ,and
the lender (if I had one), that was enough talent at the table.
If memory serves me, I didn't ever use an attorney on either end of any
RE deal (unless it was real complex) and that includes my first house
which we bought in 1970.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #31

My experiance in having sold several homes, using RE Sales people, is that if you do it yourself, the buyer automatically knocks off 6% because he figures you are not paying the RE Fees.

It is totally ridiculous what RE Sales people get for what they do, especially in a HOT Market, although you may be able to negotiate down to 4 %.

Check your neighbourhood prices on the Net, but I would use a salesperson, it will save a lot of head aches.

I was a Medical Products Sales Rep for over 30 years, and in spite of my wifes insistance, I always use RE Sales people.

You may get a Bidding War.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #32

Quote:
After an informative conversation, I asked what his services would cost me he said $4k.
4K is robbery! The last 1/2 dozen sales I did were closed using the BUYERs attorney. My cost was $100 to handle the deed. The buyer has more of vested interested to ensure the sale is clean. You just need to ensure the check does not bounce.

Also have closed in many MA cities ... never paid more than $900. $600 is more the norm.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:44 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

As seller, you want to have the sale be as close to an "as is" deal as possible. The lawyer can help with that--but you have to see a lawyer before you sign the purchase agreement.

And it shouldn't cost close to $4000.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #34

There you have it MJ. $4K is way over the top. Small town $500-$1000... NYC? Go get a small town lawyer. Have the closing in the small town,
Old 12-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #35

When he gave me the $4k quote, he quickly added that it was not negotiable (was he reading my mind?). In our conversation, he told me he was 70 and had extensive RE experience.
Perhaps he is charging higher legal fees because he is semi-retired and he wants only a few plum jobs. He may also still be building his nestegg to retire early at 80.

Thanks.

I guess I'll ask others in the neighborhood.

MJ
Old 12-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #36

$4K - he is nuts. He really does not want your business.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
$4K - he is nuts. He really does not want your business.
I found the fee I paid 14 years ago when I bought this house, it was $750. He wants over 5x what I paid. I would give it to him if I was get 5x+ for my house.
I figuredd if he got $1000 14 years ago and increased his fee every year by 10% he would still get less than $3800. I wish my salary could have averaged 6% for the same time period.

MJ
Old 12-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I personally wouldnt bother buying a house from the owner directly, as there appears to be little benefit and a lot of potential downside for both parties. The exception would be a very unique or special property, or a bargain.

The reasoning is that I dont see many FSBO sellers discounting their property to account for the 6% savings. So tell me why I'd want to deal with an inexperienced seller who will probably make me do most of the work and who has an emotional component involved in the sale, along with a probability for unbuffered irrationality? I've had my share of irrational buyers and sellers, and frankly if the folks hadnt had a realtor to settle them down, the deal would have gone south.

That having been said, the 1.5% el-cheapo listing agents are fine. Face it, 20+ years ago a realtor really had to market your property. In todays world, an MLS listing, a lockbox and someone to take the faxed offers is about all you need unless you're in a very tough buyers market. If you want more, i've regularly gotten the big name realtors like century 21 to take a 2% sellers agent fee, and that included a virtual tour, photos on the listing, and no apparent difference in service from a 3% listing.

On the buyers agent side, its a different matter. If you pay less than 3%, buyers agents will take their people elsewhere. At 2.5% you might still get bites, but at 2% and less, your home will go unshown except by rookie agents or agents whose customers saw the house themselves. While I appreciate that people want to make the most money, I think its a real disservice for realtors to avoid showing a home their customer might want to buy because they'd get paid a little less.

In fact, last agent I had didnt show me two homes that I found myself because they were below 3%. Those ended up being the final two choices I picked from and one is the house i'm living in now.

That agent didnt make any money at all as my buyers agent...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:18 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go for it MJ!

I've sold a couple of houses on my own. Both times the buyers were represented by a realtor and they, the buyers, paid the realtors fee.

I had one house appraised by a realtor, listed the property accordingly and all the prospective buyers balked at my asking price.

I raised the price $10k and got a full price offer within one week...

Go figure...

I have also negotiated for lower realtor's fees. Some are indignant, others bargain in good faith. If you don't ask; you don't get

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Go for it MJ!

I've sold a couple of houses on my own. Both times the buyers were represented by a realtor and they, the buyers, paid the realtors fee.

I had one house appraised by a realtor, listed the property accordingly and all the prospective buyers balked at my asking price.

I raised the price $10k and got a full price offer within one week...

Go figure...

I have also negotiated for lower realtor's fees. Some are indignant, others bargain in good faith. If you don't ask; you don't get*

Lance
I negotiate about everything. I've had realtors tell me they can't
change the commission because "the company won't allow it".
There are lots of realtors though. As far as increasing your price
to snare a buyer, never did it myself, but sometimes it works.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote