Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess I take a much broader view of the function of tax policy in an advanced society than you do Joylush.

Taxation effectively spreads the cost of government across the population. The cost of government broadly sets the stage for commerce.... the cost of an educated work force (such as it is), monetary systems, common defense, and a wide variety of the costs of society.

The wealthy benefit more from the educated workforce, monetary systems, etc. and as a result they are asked to pay more because they benefit more than Joe Sixpack. I don't have any problem with that. I am thankful for what I have and what I get to keep compared to those less fortunate and what they get to keep.

If US tax policy really bothers you then you can always move... that is one of the advantages of wealth... but I think that you'll find that most other countries that have advanced societies that you would be willing to live in probably have even higher taxes than the US.
It doesnít bother me enough to move. But I have plenty of experience working in the government to know I donít want them given any more of anyoneís money to waste. The constant misinformation as to who pays what is disingenuous and the class warfare promotion does rather disgust me but thatís what you get when you have a generally gullible and uninformed population.

What is clear is the more you have the harder you must work to protect what you have because there sure are a lot of people out their trying to get their hands on your earnings and who are willing to vote themselves a greater share of what belongs to you.

What they should be doing is focusing their efforts more on the tremendous amount of waste there is caused by the government and demand they be held accountable.

But when youíre not paying any taxes anyway itís hard to recognize how it might affect you.

I do feel bad for those who are affected through no fault of their own by poor government policy. A recent example is all the quality renters who are going to find it even harder to find affordable housing, never-mind the poor quality renters who will find it impossible. But when the government fails to do their job and enforce legal contracts (as is the case with the eviction moratorium going on for well over a year now) the result will be much fewer rental housing units being available. Such an obvious consequence but here we are. The short sightedness is astounding.

Why should the wealthy continue to risk their money when half is going to be taken away? Tax them reasonably they will continue to earn and youíll get more from them. Some folks are just more focused on taking from them because they want to redistribute their wealth and donít care how it might affect economic growth. Short sightedness.
Joylush is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,344
This is a great discussion.


pb4 you talk about the cost of government.What's the real cost of government. As the scope of government broadens the costs rise in tandem. I'd even argue that as the scope broadens and costs rise, the waste of taxpayers money goes up as well.


In my lifetime I don't think I've ever seen the scope or size of government shrink.



Ironically our posters selling rental units here don't have the political juice to make any of these rules more palatable. They are kind of stuck in the middle and I don't blame them for being unhappy about it.
ivinsfan is online now  
Old 08-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This is a great discussion.


pb4 you talk about the cost of government.What's the real cost of government. As the scope of government broadens the costs rise in tandem. I'd even argue that as the scope broadens and costs rise, the waste of taxpayers money goes up as well.


In my lifetime I don't think I've ever seen the scope or size of government shrink.


Ironically our posters selling rental units here don't have the political juice to make any of these rules more palatable. They are kind of stuck in the middle and I don't blame them for being unhappy about it.
Iím in the group selling rental properties. I am so very torn about this.

I have good, long term tenants. But due to recent events my houses have increased in value tremendously. The thought that my rights are no longer protected under the law is truly frightening. So while this hasnít directly affected me it has greatly appalled me.

Now I find myself with tenants paying significantly below market rents compared to my market. All my costs, especially property taxes have increased significantly and I am essentially subsidizing these tenants.

Some examples:

House renting for $1100 should rent for $1500-$1600 (I have at least five of these)
House renting for $875-$960 should rent for $1300-$1400 (I have at least five of these)
House rented for $1600 should rent for $2000-$2200 (I have a couple of these)
House rented for $700-$800 should rent for $1000 (I have a couple of these)

I am being hurt by this. My tenants are being hurt by this. Neither of us are the reason prices and costs have gone sky high. Every one of them is going to be getting at least $100 a month increase which will still put them below the going rates. Iíd like them to move so I can sell but they have nowhere to go because even with a $100 a month increase they are still getting the best deal around.

A benefit to me is they are even better tenants than they were in the first place because they know Iím selling and they donít want to give me any reason to sell their home. Their gratefulness makes it even harder for me to do whatís in my best interest.

At this point I view it as my charitable contribution. Part of the reason I have been so generous with my subsidies is because I know where itís going and I value these folks. And extra $100 in income to me is only worth $70 but itís worth a whole $100 to them and they need it more than I do.

Plenty of other landlords are just like me so the whole ďgreedy landlordĒ mantra is rather annoying.

I could generate a much greater rate of return by selling my houses, paying the taxes and investing the proceeds. And with far fewer headaches. Just last week I paid $5775 for a 3 ton heat pump replacement which I would have paid $3500 for a couple years ago.

I apologize for somewhat changing the subject. I just donít see how anyone can support such government overreach and short sightedness which while intending to only hurt the rich really hurt everyone else even more.

Restraining their overreach and spending and holding them accountable should be the first order of business.
But keeping the populace focused elsewhere by promoting class warfare takes the focus off them.

And do you know that technically the IRS could question why my rents are low and technically charge me tax on the rent amounts they think I should be charging but didnít actually charge? So I run the risk of being taxed on income I didnít receive if I were audited- evil landlord that I am. Tenants should view the government as their enemy, not their landlord.
Joylush is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,344
Well Joylush, basically you are Da...ed if you do and Da..ed if you don't.
I concur it's not a good policy for the government to put landlords in a position like this. If you do sell to another landlord the rents will go nowhere but up.


Minneapolis is putting a rent control initiative on the ballot for this fall.


Some tax rules has short sighted views. It's in the interest of our country as a whole to have many individual landlords who think they are being treated fairly. Not "special" but fairly.
ivinsfan is online now  
Old 08-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well Joylush, basically you are Da...ed if you do and Da..ed if you don't.
I concur it's not a good policy for the government to put landlords in a position like this. If you do sell to another landlord the rents will go nowhere but up.


Minneapolis is putting a rent control initiative on the ballot for this fall.


Some tax rules has short sighted views. It's in the interest of our country as a whole to have many individual landlords who think they are being treated fairly. Not "special" but fairly.
Rent control does not result in more affordable housing.
Joylush is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
Rent control does not result in more affordable housing.

Ya think
ivinsfan is online now  
Old 08-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 503
If the gov could organize how to get the billions in rental assistance to the tenants on a timely manner everything would be a lot better.

As a landlord you can not apply. But if a tenant does not pay for a year, even if the are working, they can not be evicted and also do not qualify for assistance.

A tenant can not pay for many months while waiting for assistance and then just leave. The landlord can do nothing.

As the eviction moratorium burden is on the landlord. Why not let the landlord apply for the assistance.

Well I guess they can but still need a tenant signature
captain3d is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 06:10 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
....Some examples:

House renting for $1100 should rent for $1500-$1600 (I have at least five of these)
House renting for $875-$960 should rent for $1300-$1400 (I have at least five of these)
House rented for $1600 should rent for $2000-$2200 (I have a couple of these)
House rented for $700-$800 should rent for $1000 (I have a couple of these)

.... And do you know that technically the IRS could question why my rents are low and technically charge me tax on the rent amounts they think I should be charging but didnít actually charge? So I run the risk of being taxed on income I didnít receive if I were audited- evil landlord that I am. Tenants should view the government as their enemy, not their landlord.
On the first part, why? Are these long-term tenants that you just have chosen not to increase the rent on? A friend of mine has somehting like that... he hasn't raised the tenant's rent in probably at least 5 years and probably more. Every year when I do his taxes I mention to him that he should do some rent increase as his costs have gone up but he refuses to do it.... the guy is a good tenant who pays on time and occasionally helps my friend with some things.

On the second part, I'm skeptical and would like to see the citations and cases on that.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RetireBy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cville
Posts: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post

Every income group should pay something. Even if itís a paltry amount. If you are not participating in any way itís hard to take you seriously.
This is so true.
__________________
FIRE 31 Aug, 2018 - Always leave every place better than you found it, always give more than expected or Due
RetireBy90 is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
On the first part, why? Are these long-term tenants that you just have chosen not to increase the rent on? A friend of mine has somehting like that... he hasn't raised the tenant's rent in probably at least 5 years and probably more. Every year when I do his taxes I mention to him that he should do some rent increase as his costs have gone up but he refuses to do it.... the guy is a good tenant who pays on time and occasionally helps my friend with some things.

On the second part, I'm skeptical and would like to see the citations and cases on that.
They are long term tenants and their rents have increased yearly but only by very small amounts, $10, $15, $25. Rents in my area have gone up 43% in the last two years alone. One guy I’ve had for 11 years. He started at $900. His rent should be in the $1500 range now and he’s at $1065.

When his wife left him two years into the lease and he came to me asking for reduction I was able to offer him reduced rent at $850. For a few years I failed to raise him at all and have been slowing trying to catch him up but it no longer is working because prices and rents have increased substantially over the last five years. All my tenants have been with me for over five years.

I was fortunate to have a nine year tenant move two years ago and the rent went from $1200 to $1650. That same house now should easily rent for $2000 minimum. I should have asked more for it two years ago but one of my other tenants wanted a bigger house so I offered it to them at a price they could afford. They moved from a smaller house of mine where they were paying $1150. Then I sold the one they had been renting. Otherwise I would have sold the bigger one they ended up renting. Their new house has also increased in value 150k since they moved in two years ago.

As far as the second part which you don’t believe, research the IRS regs and you will see it’s true. Normally they only tend to go after you if you are renting below market to a family member. But that’s just the norm. I would challenge any questioning I might encounter because I can show I have raised rents and I have no relationship to my tenants other than a landlord/tenant one but I could still be challenged on it. And because I still show a profit and not a loss charging the amounts I charge they would have a hard time challenging their fair market value requirement. They want you to make as much as you can so they can take more of your money.
Joylush is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 11,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess I take a much broader view of the function of tax policy in an advanced society than you do Joylush.
Unfortunately, so does our government.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 11,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

If US tax policy really bothers you then you can always move... that is one of the advantages of wealth... but I think that you'll find that most other countries that have advanced societies that you would be willing to live in probably have even higher taxes than the US.
I hate to tell you this, pb4, you CAN leave, but you still owe USA taxes. Only 2 ways around that - and only one of them is legal. You leave, have nothing in assets and make no money going forward. If you can live like that the US tax man will leave you alone. The other way is to illegally transfer your assets to one of the very few countries who have no tax treaty with the US. That's possibly doable, but it's illegal. You'll never come back to your 50th HS reunion or attend your parents or friends funerals "back home."

Baring these two options - you WILL pay US taxes, even if you don't live in the US. Fail to send "your fair share" and they'll take the assets you left behind. SO, let's hear no more about "leaving" if you don't like it. That would change nothing. (I think you can change your citizenship and AFTER 10 years, stop paying US taxes.) YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I hate to tell you this, pb4, you CAN leave, but you still owe USA taxes. Only 2 ways around that - and only one of them is legal. You leave, have nothing in assets and make no money going forward. If you can live like that the US tax man will leave you alone. The other way is to illegally transfer your assets to one of the very few countries who have no tax treaty with the US. That's possibly doable, but it's illegal. You'll never come back to your 50th HS reunion or attend your parents or friends funerals "back home."

Baring these two options - you WILL pay US taxes, even if you don't live in the US. Fail to send "your fair share" and they'll take the assets you left behind. SO, let's hear no more about "leaving" if you don't like it. That would change nothing. (I think you can change your citizenship and AFTER 10 years, stop paying US taxes.) YMMV
I hate to tell you this Koolau, but you're full of it.

You can renounce your US citizenship, pay an exit tax as if you liquidated everything, move out and then you will be free of US taxes. Please do is little research so you don't continue to post falsehoods.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...h=951e2a7287d4

https://americansoverseas.org/en/kno...y/exit-tax-us/
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 14,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Since tax fairness was one tangent in this thread, I figured that I would post this link which showed up in my inbox from Kiplinger.



https://www.kiplinger.com/kiplinger-...utm_source=tax

And if I input $107,650, the amount of income that would put a MFJ couple that are both over 65 at the top of the 12% tax bracket in 2020, then I get the following result. While the result is interesting it doesn't necessarily answer the "fair" question which is one of those "eye of the beholder" type things.
I was excited to try this tool, but it gave the same result when I put in $150,000 or $151,000 or $140,000
Because it just lumps whatever number you enter into the blocks of upper 25% of people, then upper 10% of people, etc.

So it's pretty basic.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,492
True, the IRS came after Boris Johnson, the British Prime Minister who left the USA when he was five years old. He has now renounced his US citizenship.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...h=7c4a75f27e8e
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline  
Old 08-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 11,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess I take a much broader view of the function of tax policy in an advanced society than you do Joylush.

Taxation effectively spreads the cost of government across the population. The cost of government broadly sets the stage for commerce.... the cost of an educated work force (such as it is), monetary systems, common defense, and a wide variety of the costs of society.

The wealthy benefit more from the educated workforce, monetary systems, etc. and as a result they are asked to pay more because they benefit more than Joe Sixpack. I don't have any problem with that. I am thankful for what I have and what I get to keep compared to those less fortunate and what they get to keep.

If US tax policy really bothers you then you can always move... that is one of the advantages of wealth... but I think that you'll find that most other countries that have advanced societies that you would be willing to live in probably have even higher taxes than the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I hate to tell you this Koolau, but you're full of it.

You can renounce your US citizenship, pay an exit tax as if you liquidated everything, move out and then you will be free of US taxes. Please do is little research so you don't continue to post falsehoods.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...h=951e2a7287d4

https://americansoverseas.org/en/kno...y/exit-tax-us/
You call paying an exit tax NOT paying US tax upon leaving? Maybe you can avoid FUTURE taxation, but you DO pay US taxes.

If the exit tax is the extent of it as you suggest (I'm not so sure it is - heh, heh, you can't even tax-escape California taxes within the USA!!) most STILL can not leave the US without paying up. So, leave if you want to but the USA WILL have the last word tax wise.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline  
Selling rental, what taxes to expect
Old 08-16-2021, 12:23 AM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 503
Selling rental, what taxes to expect

If I left CA and moved to another country for work, CA will claim I am still a tax resident for 535 days!

Well I do like CA but not that much
captain3d is offline  
Old 08-16-2021, 12:49 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 8,612
The FTB makes the IRS look like puppy dogs.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is online now  
Old 08-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Was state wide rent control in place when you bought the property?
Not sure if you are addressing me or not, but no. There was no rent control when I bought the rentals. None of these rules were in existence when I purchased the rentals. The other fun thing is I have to give the tenants 90 days notice when I sell it, I can only sell to someone who is going to owner occupy the house, the purchaser must present a written statement to that affect, and I have to show a copy of the sales agreement to the tenant. And pay them $4500 in "moving costs". It is absolutely insane. If these rules had been in place earlier I would never have purchased rentals.
SheitlQueen is offline  
Old 08-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I do feel bad for those who are affected through no fault of their own by poor government policy. A recent example is all the quality renters who are going to find it even harder to find affordable housing, never-mind the poor quality renters who will find it impossible. But when the government fails to do their job and enforce legal contracts (as is the case with the eviction moratorium going on for well over a year now) the result will be much fewer rental housing units being available. Such an obvious consequence but here we are. The short sightedness is astounding.

Why should the wealthy continue to risk their money when half is going to be taken away? Tax them reasonably they will continue to earn and youíll get more from them. Some folks are just more focused on taking from them because they want to redistribute their wealth and donít care how it might affect economic growth. Short sightedness.
Government policy creates many problems incrementally because it is screwing people slowly and intermittently. Today, it's the landlords who try to profit by renting property to rent paying tenants.

Yesteryear, it was secured debt holders who were stepped on by unsecured debt holders in the GM bankruptcy. And the secured debt holders of Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac.

There is/was not a big enough voting block to stop the transgression.
__________________
Give me Liberty or give me Death. Patrick Henry
Winemaker is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taxes time 2018 - what to expect ? wanaberetiree Other topics 129 02-18-2019 05:50 PM
Selling the rental property? Nords FIRE and Money 24 03-14-2009 08:49 PM
Taxes, Taxes. Taxes mickeyd FIRE and Money 1 02-09-2008 01:18 PM
Renting or selling the rental property Nords FIRE and Money 21 06-30-2007 03:12 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.