Join Early Retirement Today

Seminar Report #2
Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Seminar Report #2

I attended another financial planning last night at the local Outback Steak House. What follows are my notes:

Retirement Planning Seminar 9/28/2006

Room for about 80 however only about 30 were in attendance. 1:30 was length of presentation. Ordered food prior to seminnar began. In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was asked to "sign in". I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Covered risk/reward; age appropriate investing; “I have only 3-4 mutual funds that I like”; shrinking income; A shares, B shares and* C shares with 1% fees ~”It’s the one that I like” he said; he slammed First Command 50% commission; “No such thing as a NL fund”; “#1 fund is American Funds, my favorite”; VAs have “a lot of fees”; ‘inservice distribution” means that one can RO* 401k, 403b etc funds to an IRA while active; EIA are a good solution to many investment problems; he hit bonds very briefly w/vague info; Re: living trust~ not needed unless you have buildings as an investment; LTC very brief/vague”; financial media folks (Cramer, Orman, Quinn, Ramsey, Burns) are all* pretty good.

He seemed very rushed (ill prepared?) at the end of the presentation and mentioned it several times that he was not going to be able to get into a subject because the food was almost ready and “Outback doesn’t want you folks to wait."

We were asked to complete and submit a Response Sheet for a free consultation. I did not complete it.

Had an 8oz center cut sirloin steak w/baked potato and salad. Alternate entrees were salmon and chicken.

I rate the meal as an A. Presentation rated as a C-.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Seminar Report #2
Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was ased to "sign in" I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."
Mr. Heywood Jahblowme
13 Outhouse Way
Anywhere, USA
800-555-1212

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for going, and the report!

I often get stuff in the mail from people inviting me to pick a restaurant and a date, with "tickets" included. Outback seems to be a common hit. *Some try to be more exclusive, with fancier paper and tickets, and only one showing.

After a brief read, they all go into the landfill fodder bin.

I figured they were just a method of trolling to try to snare new clients. But I sometimes wondered what one would be like.

Thanks to you, I know now!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #4

I just got invited to a "women's investing" seminar w/special guest Sarah Ferguson (a $149 value in bold italics). I don't have an androgynous first name... so... ? My wife wondered if they were going to talk about Weight Watchers. I said she was welcome to go, find out and report back. I guess we'll never know.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I attended another financial planning last night at the local Outback Steak House. What follows are my notes:

Retirement Planning Seminar 9/28/2006

Room for about 80 however only about 30 were in attendance. 1:30 was length of presentation. Ordered food prior to seminnar began. In speaking to the presentor just after I arrived (a bit late) I was asked to "sign in". I questioned this and asked why and was told "When I am writing them a check for over $300, I like to know who is here."

Covered risk/reward; age appropriate investing; “I have only 3-4 mutual funds that I like”; shrinking income; A shares, B shares and* C shares with 1% fees ~”It’s the one that I like” he said; he slammed First Command 50% commission; “No such thing as a NL fund”; “#1 fund is American Funds, my favorite”; VAs have “a lot of fees”; ‘inservice distribution” means that one can RO* 401k, 403b etc funds to an IRA while active; EIA are a good solution to many investment problems; he hit bonds very briefly w/vague info; Re: living trust~ not needed unless you have buildings as an investment; LTC very brief/vague”; financial media folks (Cramer, Orman, Quinn, Ramsey, Burns) are all* pretty good.

He seemed very rushed (ill prepared?) at the end of the presentation and mentioned it several times that he was not going to be able to get into a subject because the food was almost ready and “Outback doesn’t want you folks to wait."

We were asked to complete and submit a Response Sheet for a free consultation. I did not complete it.

Had an 8oz center cut sirloin steak w/baked potato and salad. Alternate entrees were salmon and chicken.

I rate the meal as an A. Presentation rated as a C-.
Sounds like a Metlife of NML seminar...............

At least you got a good meal............

When I did seminars, I practiced the presentation a million times, and timed myself. It's pretty worthless if you can't get the info out in a limited time..........

I used to do "Smart Women Finish Rich" seminars until Van Kampen put "you have to use us as a majority of your investing in mutual funds" mantra on using the program............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We get alot of these invitations also. I took a course at a CC on retirement planning and it was very good. lots of neutral information. It was 4 nites, 2 hours each nite. The instructor was from a FP firm and at the end he offered a free eval. We would have done the eval, but they only offered appt time between 10-3, because he likes to go home to his kids.

My hub is a contractor and we were not about to give up cash. I though this was short sighted of him.
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for Lucia's gig this Saturday, then I learned that it is at the Seatac Hilton, not the downtown Hilton. To get there before the presentation starts I would need to take the 5:20 am ferry... don't know if it would be worth getting out of bed THAT early!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

We attended one about a month ago - our very first. I thought the food (buffet style) was good but DH rated it a so-so. Then, again, I think any cooked food is good.

DH had the same question when asked to sign in at the door. They said it was for IRS for expense write-off or some deduction of the kind.

Happy Friday to everyone!

Tomorrow is our anniversary. Going to Baltimore to see the world. Can't wait!

Jenni

LoveNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Dang...wish I could get Outback for free. So who was the presentor...someone local or what?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #10

As my DW always reminds me.

Any meal that I don't have to cook is a good meal!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
So who was the presentor...someone local or what?
Yea, he was a local guy who claimed to have been in business in the city for 25 years or so. I guess he was just trolling for new clients and this beats telemarketing.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote