Senate Deal on Economic Stimulus Plan

So it means that in 2008, I can convert an additional $6,000 to a Roth IRA and pay no tax on it. That is, I will save $600. Yes?

I guess you could look at it that way, however you only get the $600 once :D.

If anyone else had the same question that I did -

Will a college age dependent who had an AGI of over $3000 get a rebate?

I found the answer here -
http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/104417/Tax-Rebate-Winners-and-Losers

The rebate bill specifically makes dependents, or even those who could be claimed as a dependent, ineligible for the rebate. So students who can be claimed by parents won't get rebates even if they held jobs outside class that otherwise would have qualified them for the money.

Darn, it would have been nice for him.

So does this mean the Duggar Family, with 19 (or is it now 20) kids will get $6300?

So does this mean the Duggar Family, with 19 (or is it now 20) kids will get $6300?

"Taxpayers with children would receive an additional $300 per child, with no limit on the number of child-based rebates. That means a family with four children could enjoy up to $2,400, and a family with two kids could receive up to $1,800."

However its not free. It will go on the deficit and be paid by your kids :D.

If I get a check, I am tempted to put it straight into an I Bond as a form of protest. Some day my kid can use it to pay back the increased tax caused by that part of the deficit represented by the check.

Of course if I were truly principled and unselfish, I would simply sign the check over to the Treasury as a gift to reduce the national debt.

The above statement is correct but also confusing. Next years refunds include a $600 "tax cut". This is for 2008 only. You will get the money this year and account for it next year. If anyone knows how to say it in simpler terms have at it.
BikerDude, where's a link (from a reputable source, say the IRS) that specifically states the $600 will have to be accounted for next year.
My assumption (although it may be incorrect), is that you're saying we'll have to claim it as income next year. My belief (and I talked to a CPA ... whose been a CPA for 30+ years ... yesterday about this) is that the $600 will not be taxable in 2009 (for the 2008 tax year).
If this is not what you were inferring, please accept my most humble apologies in advance. :angel:

"Taxpayers with children would receive an additional $300 per child, with no limit on the number of child-based rebates. That means a family with four children could enjoy up to $2,400, and a family with two kids could receive up to $1,800."
Wooohooo. :cool:
We're in the family with four children category. But we've spent it (as was requested :)) on 3 new laptops from Best Buy. Granted, we'll be paying it off over the next 3 years most likely, because they had a 3 year no interest offer at the time. And the last time we replaced any computer equipment was 8 years ago. :dead:

confused

So now I am a little confused. If the rebate is actually an advance on the change in the tax rate on the first $6,000 earned why are they limiting it to tax payers who earn less than $75,000? :rant:

I would seem that everyone who makes more than $6,000 would be affected by that change. Does that simply mean the those who make over $75,000 will simply need to wait until next year? Or do they figure that most who make over $75 ,000 get wacked by the AMT any way so they wouldn't benefit from the rate reduction?

So now I am a little confused. If the rebate is actually an advance on the change in the tax rate on the first $6,000 earned why are they limiting it to tax payers who earn less than $75,000? :rant:

I would seem that everyone who makes more than $6,000 would be affected by that change. Does that simply mean the those who make over $75,000 will simply need to wait until next year? Or do they figure that most who make over $75 ,000 get wacked by the AMT any way so they wouldn't benefit from the rate reduction?

I was also wondering about this. I think the logic is that if they send a prebate check to those above 75k single/150k married, it won't get spent to stimulate the economy. But those high income earners should still benefit as you indicated

I was also wondering about this. I think the logic is that if they send a prebate check to those above 75k single/150k married, it won't get spent to stimulate the economy. But those high income earners should still benefit as you indicated

So give me and Amazon.com gift card and I'll be sure to spend it on something made in the good old USA. Like 4 Penn Slammer reels I promise:D

The "rebate" does not result from any change in tax rates or brackets. It is a tax credit. The credit is reduced by 5 cents for every dollar of AGI above $75,000 for a single return ($150,000 on a joint return).

This is the same way some other credits, the Child Tax Credit for example, are structured. There is a fair amount of weirdness involved in getting checks mailed in 2007, even thought, strictly speaking, the credit applies to returns filed in 2008 based on 2007 income.

As to why it is done this way, the short answer is that is what could get a majority vote in the House, 60 votes in the Senate, and be signed by the President. Looking for logic beyond that is, IMHO, futile.

Whether this rebate is fair or wise might affect your votes in November, but it won't affect your taxes.

There is a fair amount of weirdness involved in getting checks mailed in 2007, even thought, strictly speaking, the credit applies to returns filed in 2008 based on 2007 income.

This is not correct. The checks are being mailed in 2008, not 2007. Also, the credit will be applied to 2008 returns which will be filed in 2009, and the amount of your credit in 2009 will be reduced by the amount of your "prebate" mailed to you in 2008. On the other hand, if you got a higher rebate in 2008 than you will qualify for in 2009, based on your 2008 return, you get to keep the difference.

Yep. I was off a year. Checks in 2008 based on 2007 return. Credit technically based on 2008 income as shown on return filed in 2009.

Back
Top Bottom