Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Just outstanding and caring. There definitely few places like that today. At the risk of causing them a bit of a crowd - can you name the place?
It's the HiWay Restaurant in Ottawa, IL, open 6am to 9pm, 7 days a week. If ya go there, they'll treat ya just like family...ya might even get smacked up-side the head...or maybe they only do that to me.

Good food, and lots of it.....Good service, and fast....Good prices, and they'll smile when they take your money!

It's a family restaurant, that also serves cocktails, wine, and beer. In fact, if you order a dinner, for an additional 10¢, you can get a glass of wine, too!

Many of the other restaurants in town have gone out of business, are going out of business, or else their business has dropped off drastically. Not so for the HiWay! They just finished putting on a new addition, and completely remodeling the interior. They never shutdown to do it either....they paid the contractors to do the work from 9pm to 6am, so that customers wouldn't be inconvenienced. And they did the interior remodeling in sections, so 80%-90% of the restaurant was always available for seating. Work areas were sealed off during the business hours. It took longer, and cost more to do it that way, but the owners always put their customers comfort and convenience #1.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #62

Ziggy,
Guess Lady's night out is a no no also!
Or how about Kids tickets at a theater?
Or Kids eat free with Adult meal?
How about an extra tax deduction for each child?

Business is in the business of making a profit. The don't give those discounts for the fun of it, or because they feel sorry for seniors. To the extent seniors have disposable income they are trying to make sure it is spent at Burger King rather than Mickey D's. Those that are looking for fairness in everything in life, you are going to enjoy an long and miserable life.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tomorrow is the big 50 for me. I already have an AARP card (long story). Anybody know of senior discounts for the 50-55 group?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #64

Happy "BIG 50" just a wee bit early!

Thanks for bringing this thread back!

My favorite discount is for Fry's Food & Drug which is part of Krogers. The first Wed of every month you can get 10% off everything except food & tobacco with the Senior Vip Card. The put out pots of coffee and trays from the bakery to boot. I usually stock up and with the sales wind up with 30 to 35% savings on all my staples for the month!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Anybody know of senior discounts for the 50-55 group?
Heck yes! Since these places rarely (as in almost never) post the discount, how do you know what the age requirements are? You don't.

Always ask "Can I get a senior discount?". Unless you've had some work done I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised how many times you are successful.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Piggly Wiggly grocery stores gives 5% off to seniors every Tuesday. Not sure what their definition of a senior is but I get it. Just put on your old face when you check out.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #68

Krogers gives a 5% for seniors if you use their Kroger card. (not the credit card but the card that tracks your purchases. Well for us it track's Slim Kudas purchases!)
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget to ask for Senior Coffee at McDonald's! It's pretty cheap. I don't know what the age cut-off is, because with our grey/white hair they always think we are more than old enough.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #70

Certain funeral homes have a prepaid discount for folks over 50.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tomorrow is the big 50 for me. I already have an AARP card (long story). Anybody know of senior discounts for the 50-55 group?
Another one bites the dust...
Have a really great birthday and watch out for big bunches of black balloons.
They know exactly where you are when you turn 50.

Many people still think you have to be 55 to get the red/white card, so have fun asking for those discounts.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #72

The Red Byrd in Kearneysville, MD offers a discount for those over fifty. Nice family run restaurant, not fancy, but good food at reasonable prices. There's not much else in Kearneysville besides the post office and some houses. They don't even have a gas station. For that you have take the ten-minute drive to Boonsboro, MD.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Don't forget to ask for Senior Coffee at McDonald's! It's pretty cheap. I don't know what the age cut-off is, because with our grey/white hair they always think we are more than old enough.
Hardee's and Burger King have the senior coffee discounts too. Hardee's was 38¢ the last time I was there, and BK is 49¢ (for senior coffee OR fountain drinks!)....free refills at both places! Plus they have $1 menus too!

Two of us went to BK on Monday and both had 'breakfast' for $4.78 total (including tax!)...She had french toast sticks and coffee, and I had 4 tacos and iced tea. My favorite thing about BK is that you can order lunch ANYTIME of day...even during their breakfast hours...therefore tacos for breakfast!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

You do know that you have entered Colonscopy age ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You do know that you have entered Colonscopy age ?
Wonder if they offer a volume discount?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Got my 5% discount at Piggly Wiggly today. Not sure weather to be happy or pissed.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Got my 5% discount at Piggly Wiggly today. Not sure weather to be happy or pissed.
Take any and all discount to offset the sales tax or store markup, is my motto.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You're definitely eligible for the discount, Dawg. Being "happily pissed" is card-carrying evidence you've reached full curmudgeonhood!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'll ask a serious question to provide a short break in the levity, if you get the senior pass ($10) for the federal parks, does that give you 50% off each night of camping at those campgrounds?
lloyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyds View Post
I'll ask a serious question to provide a short break in the levity, if you get the senior pass ($10) for the federal parks, does that give you 50% off each night of camping at those campgrounds?
Yes. There are exceptions, I would guess, but they would be very few. (There are exceptions to the Pass itself -- Mt. Rushmore, for instance.)

Whatever. This card is the most valuable benefit of being a "senior" of all. I was surprised when it was happily accepted in Puerto Rico.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote