septic sewer

Gee, that is what I pointed out in response 16 some time ago. Septic tanks can be fixed -- so can oil leaks but they potentially can be worse.

Gee, that is what I pointed out in response 16 some time ago. Septic tanks can be fixed -- so can oil leaks but they potentially can be worse.

Yea, and I pointed out in response #14......;)

I grew up with septic tanks and had them several size since without any problems. An inspector said one needed pumped when I bought a house but the owner didn't think it did so put money in a bank account to be used for that if it did the first two years.
I still don't use my garbage disposal for more than a spoonful of food. Garbage goes in the garbage can unless it is very wet like cantaloupe guts. Grease is not put in the drains, no egg shells or potato peeling. I have a pipe on the celling of the basement that is flat across the house if you put stuff down the drain it stops it up, we have a clean out and with care we don't need to do that except on rare occasions.
I prefer septic because no monthly bill but with sewer already in you never have to pay to hook up to it again.

Specific situations vary, but if there is a sewer line that you can connect to the connection fee is about the same as replacing a septic system.

Some health departments will not permit the replacement of a septic system where sewer service is available as many septic systems leach into waterways.

Monthly sewer charges vary by service district. High rates are well correlated to aging facilities and the need to change from combined sewer and storm water systems.

A septic system is not without ongoing cost and oversight so just because you don't pay a bill monthly you might as well budget the same amount as your reserve for maintenance.

Several people have mentioned 'pump-out'. As a sewer district commissioner I can tell you that the cost of disposing of solids is increasing exponentially. Whether you use a sewer or septic it must be dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom