Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Set up accounts as gift location for kids?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Set up accounts as gift location for kids?

Hi All,

So, in the season's spirit, I wanted to give my two grown kids a larger gift than usual - we normally are a small gift family and will be continuing the small gift scenario, but I

Neither really "needs" anything and both are working and have savings and 401K/IRA accounts they contribute to.

I am not talking about $14,000 annual limit gifts, but somewhere/somehow to drop in a thousand dollars when I feel like it.

Here's the point - I don't want them to actually spend this money ...I want to enhance their "savings" in a manner that is reasonable and that they will let it ride.

Thoughts on options?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe a Roth or 529 Ed account?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Do your adult children have mortgages? If you could find out who the lender is, make an additional principal payment for them.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not much of gift if they can't decide what they want to do with it. If you say they are working and have savings just give them the money and trust them to do right with it, as they see fit, not as you see fit. ....
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

Do they have an investment account? You can mail a check to the investment company for deposit into their account.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Money is fungible, so if you give a few thousand to their investment account (if you could), then they might save less.

I like the thought, as I'd like to do that for a grandchild, but cannot see how right now.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

I assume they have some financial institution that handles their current 401k/Roth/etc. Why not just open another after-tax account under their name, or contribute to their Roth accounts? The just send the check to that account and institution.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

The key point is TRUST. Do you trust your kids to do their "right thing" with the money? Just give them the money, explain how you would like it used or saved and trust them to do it. It sounds like you're good parents with good kids.......I'm the same and feel very lucky.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

Hi All,

Yeah - I get the trust your kids to do the right thing ...but, also recall how easy it is to spend money when you are "just starting out" (20-30s) ...so many things pull at one for money ...but, I also get the point about stashing money and it growing over time such that it is ready when one might need it (40-60s - 60 is old, but recall how late marriage and babies are happening now ...sons are 26 and 31 without wives or kids).

I kinda like the 529 thing, but can ya open accounts for grandchildren if there aren't any (yet)?

Have researched and understand that grandparent 529 account wont count for FAFSA comps, but funds released will count at 20% (for this reason some recommending using grandparent 529 for the last year of college). Parents ownership reportedly counts at 5.6% for FAFSA comps.

So, if we can open grandparent owned 529 for grandchildren of the future, then we could help children avoid FAFSA hit?

So, we're 62, kids are 26 and 31 without wives ... figure they COULD be with wife and child by 28 and 33 earliest (we would be 64) ... there is still time for us to transfer the money to the grandkids while there are in college. Percentage start working against us.

If we could do this, we would probably just use a date certain fund with a set point of about 2036 or so ...

Thoughts on this approach? Anyone done this recently?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Answering my own question I think - I don't see any reference to being able to set up a 529 when there are no grandchildren ...guess that does make sense.

So, in our case, we could contribute to a specific account with perhaps son name on it, as well, and if a grandchild comes along, just convert it to a 529 (meeting annual limits, etc) ...would not count as a gift until we convert since it is in both our name and the name of the child?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Hi All,

Yeah - I get the trust your kids to do the right thing ...but, also recall how easy it is to spend money when you are "just starting out" (20-30s) ...so many things pull at one for money ...but, I also get the point about stashing money and it growing over time such that it is ready when one might need it (40-60s - 60 is old, but recall how late marriage and babies are happening now ...sons are 26 and 31 without wives or kids).

I kinda like the 529 thing, but can ya open accounts for grandchildren if there aren't any (yet)?

Have researched and understand that grandparent 529 account wont count for FAFSA comps, but funds released will count at 20% (for this reason some recommending using grandparent 529 for the last year of college). Parents ownership reportedly counts at 5.6% for FAFSA comps.

So, if we can open grandparent owned 529 for grandchildren of the future, then we could help children avoid FAFSA hit?

So, we're 62, kids are 26 and 31 without wives ... figure they COULD be with wife and child by 28 and 33 earliest (we would be 64) ... there is still time for us to transfer the money to the grandkids while there are in college. Percentage start working against us.

If we could do this, we would probably just use a date certain fund with a set point of about 2036 or so ...

Thoughts on this approach? Anyone done this recently?
Uhh, you can't just give them the money and say,it would really make your Mom and I happy if you invested this for the long haul or even earmarked it for future kiddos expenses and leave it at that? From my understanding it's not even a large sum of money we are talking about here. I guess you don't trust them. You know part of dealing with life is making a money mistake or two so we can learn from it.

What's the difference if you give them cash or fund their IRA, they still need to learn how to balance the seduction call of spending to the satisfaction of saving. Do them a favor and let them figure it out for themselves.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

The "Money is fungible" is likely the right concept.

If you fund their Roth with them not aware, they could over fund it since they did not know you did.

You could set up a 529 with your kids as beneficiaries and they beneficiaries could be changed when grand kids come. But this would still be your account.

Other than paying a bill for them it could really be hard to give them money that they don't control.

Take something like Edelman's RIC-E trust, the beneficiary has 30 days that they can pull the money out. Crummey trust have the same 30 day issue, but don't benefit the recipient.

If you want to fund part of their Roth, tell them. Make sure they can have a Roth. Make sure they know (it has to go on their tax return).

But Money is fungible... does this mean they save less? maybe, maybe not.

Legally to give them a gift, they ultimately will have control with the possible exception of paying a bill for them. If I were doing this and wanted them to fund an Roth (assuming they can), I would give them the $ with the request that they use it the way you would like.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

The are both funding 401 and IRAs and are pretty thoughtful ... but young.

Ivinsfan - I understand what you are saying - I get it - however, I would rather their kids have a little additional money and my kids be put off a bit by my approach, than taking the risk my kids will "do the right thing" - guess I don't want them to learn with my money, but rather learn with their own.

Also considering opening a JTWROS account for wife/me/son 1 (etc) and funding it with index ETF ... avoids some capital gains issues. Then funding 529 out of it when/if there are grandchildren ...anyone used something like this process?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I get what you are saying by your use of the term "my money". However, I know my responsible adult daughters would be more then a little "put off", by my basically saying here's some money but I'm tying it up for your own good, because I don't want you wasting it.

We farm and I know a few fellow farmers who won't bother setting up estate planning because they freely admit, I want to control everything until I die and my kids can just deal with it after I'm dead. One wanted to leave everything to his only son, who had no children, but somehow exclude the son's wife because he didn't want her to have any say over anything. This wife has never done anything to him, he just wasn't sure she'd "do the right thing" if his died first.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can you still get paper shares of stocks?
Do they have a hobby or interest? Shares of Harley Davidson appeal to some-not to others. Or Ford Or Disney.
Or maybe a Krugerrand or two. (not the best investment possibly-but shiny)
lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #16

Been out of town ...sorry about slow response.

Continued reading on the topic ...

Since my kids don't have kids, it appears I can set up a 529 in my name as "participant" with myself as "beneficiary" ....seems to be the most flexible approach ...would roll to my spouse if I die before any future grandchildren are identified ...
Old 12-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #17

Just relating to what my parents did some 25+ years ago.

They purchased US savings bond that were registered jointly some with Dad and my name, some with Mom and my name but used my SSN on all the bonds. I think they planned that being joint, they could cash them if need be. Did same with all my siblings. I didn't even know they existed until my Dad passed away and Mom passed them on to me and my siblings. Since I considered it my parent's money, I just sat on them thinking in case my Mom needed the money for whatever.

When Mom passed away, I found another batch registered jointly with her name on them, again with my SSN. They have appreciated considerably and in next 7 years or so, I've got some tax planning issues with the bonds maturity and accrued interest. Nice problem to have.

Since there was no tax reporting involved until maturity and redemption, it was easy to hide what they did. And with the low interest rates of the last decade, it has been a great investment.

Current interest rates for savings bonds (EE or I) don't make this such a good current option, maybe things will change in the future. My current thinking is that I'll probably never touch my Roths so they will likely be passed on to my boys.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Been out of town ...sorry about slow response.

Continued reading on the topic ...

Since my kids don't have kids, it appears I can set up a 529 in my name as "participant" with myself as "beneficiary" ....seems to be the most flexible approach ...would roll to my spouse if I die before any future grandchildren are identified ...
If your goal is to set up education funding for YTB grand kids and want to keep control of the $, this is a good approach. Typically you can change the beneficiary up and down the family tree with the flick of a pen.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not talking about $14,000 annual limit gifts, but somewhere/somehow to drop in a thousand dollars when I feel like it.

Here's the point - I don't want them to actually spend this money ...I want to enhance their "savings" in a manner that is reasonable and that they will let it ride.

Thoughts on options?
The only reason I can think of for you to want to give money to your sons, but in a way where you feel they won't blow it, is so that you save on income or estate taxes. Otherwise, especially since you're talking about relatively modest amounts of money, just set up accounts in your own name earmarked in your own mind to be given to your sons when an appropriate event or time arises. Deposit money when you feel the urge. Manage the money with an AA that reflects your best guess as to when you'll gift the money to them. When the time comes, give them all or part of the money as appropriate.

The idea of gifting money to kids to improve your own tax situation but still retain control often creates a rocky road. I sense this is the case for the idea of creating 529b's for yet-to-exist grandkids. What if your sons don't have kids? You'll pay a 10% penalty to withdraw the money unused for college expenses or you'll use it for someone else....... Your third cousin's (on your mother's side) kid you've never met? The kid that delivers your morning paper?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I did something this past year which might be helpful; I offered to pay for the Dave Ramsey Money Makeover course for any of my three daughters that were interested. I only had one take me upon it so far, but she is the one that needs it most. I've told her I'll give a bonus when she finishes the course. Sort of a "teach a girl to fish" type thing.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote