Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #2441
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Paid off the last $3.5k of my mortgage today! (I actually left about $20 balance on the principal just so that they simply pay my 2020 taxes from the escrow as scheduled. I'll clean up the rest and close it out in January.)
Well done !
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #2442
Recycles dryer sheets

We paid off the Mortgage *I think :-)

Two days ago I used the online portal to pay the amount they show as the Payoff (which you can have the system generate which includes some interest and a $10 mortgage satisfaction fee), but the online portal kicked back my attempted payment saying my payment was in excess of the $170,525.57 they show as the outstanding balance.

So next I paid the $170,525.57 showing as the outstanding balance. It was a little anti-climatic, because unlike transferring money from one account to another, which is instantaneous, the mortgage page showed the outstanding balance as $170,525.57, but with a pending payment of $170,525.57.

After a day I guess they decided to credit the $170,525.57 payment (through it still shows as pending), and the new balance said $1,239.48 (which seems to be @ $700 more than I recall the difference between the earlier "payoff" and the "outstanding balance."

Anyway, rechecked the "payoff" amount, which was $1,249.69 (they want and extra $10 to record the satisfaction, plus presumably a few pennies for interest), and tried to pay that figure last night. Nope, once again, the online portal kicked it back saying the $1,249.69 (the exact amount they say they want) was in excess of the $1,239.48 they show on the screen as the outstanding balance.

So I enter in the $1,239.48 figure, and now the mortgage page shows the outstanding balance as $1,239.48, but with a pending payment of $1,239.48. Once again, anti-climatic since I want to see $0, but I suspect it will reflect the new amount in a day or two.

Fortunately property taxes were just paid on 12/2, so that won't be an immediate worry.

Maybe they will take the $10 they want to record the satisfaction, plus the few pennies for the extra day of interest on $1,239.48 from the remains $916.49 in escrow and I can finally be debt free.

Cars are paid for. CHECK
Three kids' college paid for. CHECK
House paid for. CHECK
7-figures in the retirement accounts. CHECK
Solid 6-figures in non-retirement accounts. CHECK

Edging closer and closer to FIRE.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #2443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSdot View Post

So I enter in the $1,239.48 figure, and now the mortgage page shows the outstanding balance as $1,239.48, but with a pending payment of $1,239.48. Once again, anti-climatic since I want to see $0, but I suspect it will reflect the new amount in a day or two.

My congraulations [pending]
Old 12-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #2444
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #2445

I was at late $200k in late March this year.

Now, I am at $456k. I would love to see $500k before the year ends.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #2446
Confused about dryer sheets

The last few months have been oddly good to me financially, bringing me to 47x my target retirement yearly spend in savings (but no property)

Still young (<40), unmarried, no house. The target yearly spending in retirement is over 70% higher than what I actually spend in a typical year, but I'm hoping that a large enough nest egg will give me the comfort to be better about spending money in the future.

Planning to keep padding the nest egg for the next five to ten years and then challenge myself to never let money be a factor in choosing whether and where to work again.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Net worth is very simple: value of all assets - all liabilities

So, yes. Doesn't matter if the car is a 15 year old Toyota or a '71 Hemi Barracuda Convertible.
What about home furniture?
Old 12-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
What about home furniture?
What do you think you could realistically get if you tried to sell your furniture? I've sold a lot of things through local groups over the years, and I've posted a LOT more than I've ever sold, a lot of it winds up being donated or trashed. Sometimes I repost it for free just to get rid of it; I've done that with furniture, light fixtures, you name it. You'd have to sell it for very little to be assured of selling it all off, so I would say most people couldn't get more than $1-5K for furniture and home furnishings, not a significant addition to NW. You can sometimes get floor models or returned products with tiny blemishes for 50-75% off, so I'd say 25% of your purchase price is the MOST you can expect for the best of it.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #2449

We hit $1.5M NW
He hit $100k investible and more importantly achieved 2 years employed at a fortune 500 company. For many that may seem like an odd comment, but some people struggle significantly with the big corporate culture and thus take jobs that pay a fraction of what they could make, making FI nearly impossible. Its been a decade long struggle for us, first to get him in the door (as those companies like resumes to look a certain way, worked a certain companies for x years, with Y job titles, its been a multi-phase journey), then it was finding a fit where he could manage the day to day BS.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #2450
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
Reached 50X expenses. Holy smokes. Never in a million years would I have thought this possible.

DW still works.
I became a lazy bum in 2018.

Sorry if I sound like a braggart - I don't mean to. But I have no one else to share this with other than my wife.
fantastic!
Old 12-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #2451
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Vette View Post
My fidelity account hit 3.5 million today, net worth is 5.6m ...feels REALLY good! Admittedly sometimes I wonder how this happened. I am just a blue collar guy who wears a tool belt for a living with no college education. I buy whatever I want whenever I want it. I feel very fortunate to have reached this level.

Congratulations to everyone else on your milestones. I like to read about other peoples successes.
That is amazing. Congrats!
Old 12-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #2452
Recycles dryer sheets

rolled the IRA odometer over again today. finally got past the 2mm mark!
paid off one of the rentals mortgage a couple months ago as well.
while 2020 has been a bad year for many, it's been fantastic financially to me!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #2453
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's OFFICIAL!! We are DEBT FREE!! Plus 7-figures already saves for retirement.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 10.56.13 PM.png (54.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #2454

Quote:
Congratulations!!

Your screen shot made me laugh out loud, because I captured exactly the same info when I paid off my mortgage in 2017 - I wanted to SEE that "PD in Full" and "Amount Due $0.00" before I could relax.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #2455

Quote:
Congrats!

I mentioned upthread that I paid off most of the balance the other day. Here is what my account looks like today, so I guess I am a cup of coffee away from your status!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg mtgblnce.jpeg (25.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-05-2020, 12:42 AM   #2456

Passed $3M asset milestone. That's $500k more than what I started out with about 5 years ago when I pulled the trigger.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:44 AM   #2457
Recycles dryer sheets

Reached $13M net worth
Old 12-05-2020, 04:05 AM   #2458
Dryer sheet aficionado

Two Comma Club, times Two. So happy I retired immediately when I hit my number! Life is too short.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:28 AM   #2459
Dryer sheet aficionado

Passed my FIRE goal of $2.5 MM today not counting the house. I have been so looking forward to this day. I'm going to work two more years and that's it. Fantastic feeling when you know you could just drop it all and walk out.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:40 AM   #2460
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice work! Are you adhering to the 4% rule? I've heard (lately) that 5% is dang near bulletproof as well, as long as you adhere to a few rules. Your number strikes me as having enough to do 80K with the 4% rule PLUS have 500K "on the sideliness" as a buffer. Is that what you're thinking or are you thinking 100K straight using the 4% rule? ... or something else?
Closed Thread