Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
When I was single, a little younger (29, I believe) and reached $50K in savings, I thought $100K would make me feel immensely better and anything above that was basically icing on the cake.
30 years old and just hit $50,000 this week in Roth, solo 401k, and HSA. I have a long ways to go, but still a good milestone.

Another milestone I think is just refinancing my house to the lowest interest rate I'll ever see of 3.25% w/ 100% financing 30 yr fixed (I know it's frowned upon, but it's my situation).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

paid off mortgage, kids college saved / paid for. One graduates in May and the other in two years...almost like a mortgage! I'm at financial independence now with the recent run up......and three years and counting for ER at 55......
Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I paid off the mortgage the first of the year and then finally bumped up my 401k to the maximum. I should hit $500k NW this year which for my age of 45 isn't particularly great but I'm single and I look at it as if my imaginary wife had a similar NW we would be hitting 1M NW this year.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally realized that I really CAN retire because all my pessimistic calculations were simply overkill - I expected not one, but two or three things to go wrong. I'm now confident that I am FI (and would have a 3% starting WR). The biggest milestone was achieved last week when I told the bosses that I'm FI and am thinking of retiring. They all think something must be wrong -- how could I possibly retire at the ripe old age of 50 ? I've made it clear that I can go at any time. They are being extra nice to me now However its 9pm on a Friday and I am still at work !!! I can't wait to finally make the move but I'm waiting to see if they try and keep me a little longer by making me an offer I can't refuse.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

2MM in financial asset value (401k, HSA, stocks, MFs, cash) and no debt. Ten years ago we were at $550M with a $80,000 left on a mortgage. That's when I became aware at the age of 44 that I needed to actively manage our investments, debt, saving and spending activities. I wish I would have started sooner.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

DH and I are 41 and crossed over the $1m mark (and back, and over again) last year. Then we added a mortgage - on a great place where most of the other residents are retired, so we get to pretend. :-) Oh, and I received a transfer from the j*b that was making me so miserable the past couple of years. Life is good, but we're still focused on ER.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Major milestones of late:

1. Joined E-R.org in 2011.
2. Posted 1st, um, post in 2012.
3. Quit mega-corp on 2/6/2013.

Not exactly retired, more semi-retired as we have rental properties I will now manage (D/W was handling it mostly previously). Also hope to find properties to flip to help with income so we don't drain savings too quickly.

Did I mention I left mega-corp? Woo hoo! I guess this kind of puts me in the Class of 2013. Well, the Semi ER Class of 2013.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

'Fully funded' the kids 529, meaning by my estimation it should pay for college and grad school anywhere he wants to go. Did this before he turned 4.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll add - we've been FI for years, RE next Friday!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #50

I do remember that "one" post. One of the funniest posts ever :-) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdude View Post
2. Posted 1st, um, post in 2012.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Four meeeeeellion dollars net worth! 3/23/13

Actually $4,000,043. I had to go to the coinstar machine at CVS this morning and redeem $291 in coins to get over $4M.

56 years old, retired 21 months - wife is still teaching.

$2,900,000 tax deferred
$377,000 taxable
$13,500 savings/checking accounts and cash at home
$654,400 house - no morgage, value based on the average of four online estimates.
$55,000 for two cars and personal property - OK I pulled these out of my arse but I believe they're conservative.
No debt

Forgive my apparent arrogance and braggadocio, but I enjoy reading other success stories and hopefully this might provide inspiration for other schlubs like myself.

I'll report back when I've lost half of it.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go on the 4M mark!
It seems to me that at 4M you are on coast mode, as far as money goes. I am not there yet, but that is my next goal. However, I have found that whenever I reach a NW target, it is is exactly half of what I want, or think I need at the time. :-( Need to breakout of that thinking. :-)

I have been using the wealth rank app http://methowtime.com/wealthrank/ and they say you need 4.5M to make it into the top 1% (final target
Also tried to get a handle on how much NW gets you into the 1% club. Seems to be a large range, depending on the source. The Capgemini World Wealth report is the best I have seen so far. http://www.capgemini.com/worldwealthreport/
Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
Way to go on the 4M mark!
It seems to me that at 4M you are on coast mode, as far as money goes. I am not there yet, but that is my next goal. However, I have found that whenever I reach a NW target, it is is exactly half of what I want, or think I need at the time. :-( Need to breakout of that thinking. :-)
LOL been there, done that --- then I realized that not working one more day than I needed to was my REAL goal, so I reduced my contingencies and fears on my portfolio while maintaining my LBYM buget to allow me to take the leap this year
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Early this year, hit a net worth of $2M, 1.6 investments, 400K in home and other assets. Age 59, still at w**k, DW has already retired.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #55

1. 2003: Retired from the AF Reserves, guaranteeing a COLAd pension and retiree HI.

2. 2011: Became "mortgageless"

3. 2012: Achieved FI
Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

30 June 1987 - received first paycheck after college and invested 10% of it into the stock market via an IRA. Had started off going to the beach that day, but our buddy who gave us a ride wanted to stop off at his financial advisor. We were invited in, wearing our beach shorts, flip flops, and a little worse for the wear due to lingering hangovers from the night before (did I mention we were just out of college?). We were met by the smiling financial advisor and given a free Coke, and the next thing we knew we were signing up for IRAs. I hadn't even known what an IRA was before that day. We actually did make it the beach that day, and I've been saving and investing ever since. It took me about 5 years to figure out that the front loaded, high-fee fund was a really bad deal for me and a great one for the advisor. I ended our relationship at that point and became my own advisor, but I am thankful that it got me started, not only with the introduction to saving for retirement, but also to the stock market, and that was the beginning of a great and interesting life-long education.

1 June 2011 - two steps forward and one step back. I gave my one-year notice of intent to retire (one year is the required notification period), and then several months later fell victim to the one more year syndrome and withdrew my request.

1 June 2012 - giant step forward and vowed no more "one more years," and gave my 12 months notice.

1 June 2013 - next milestone: first day FIRE'd.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

NW is close to $3.4M including house. My goal was to get to $3MM excluding house....I'm a couple hundred K short of this now. Reached FI....have 40x annual expenses including 32k pension. $4MM sounds real nice but I don't think I'm going to make it to that milestone.....49 and looking to RE at 50 to 51.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A few of my older milestones:

April 1998 - paying off my mortgage and becoming debt-free (again).

August 2000 - reaching the $200k plateau in taxable account investments. That was big because I had paid off the mortgage only 2 years earlier so there was no corresponding debt to offset it.

I am closing in on $800k in my taxable account investments.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is a fun post. Great reading other people's successes and goals. It is all so encouraging. Let's all keep at it!!

Milestones:

2010: ditched terrible FA from Morgan Stanley (the was made possible by reading this site and Bogleheads. Thank goodness for these sites!!
End of 2011: 1MM net worth excluding house
End of 2012: 529s for 2 children funded as much as I wish to fund
Early 2013: Watched Ravens win Superbowl in NOLA

Goals:
September 2014: ten years married to an amazing woman
Mortgage free by age 40
FI by 45
SRE at 50
RE at 55
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

awesome DB. We're 30 y/o, and just went over $120K in our investments (401k, roth, trad ira). In 3 months, we'll have all of our vehicles paid for (3 total). Also, we have $-15k equity in our home, and a rental that generates about $50 a month positive cash flow after paying mortgage and property mgmt fees I have about 13 more years to a military pension (hopefully). But in all reality, I think we're doing pretty well. I'm just hoping the real estate market begins to pick up and then we should be doing well.
Closed Thread