Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

As of the end of 2012 we were at 0.9 x FI. Mortgage paid off several years ago, so no debt.

Our only child graduates college this May--yippee that's done, so our savings toward RE just got a huge bonus! DH is working again after a long layoff, which helps get us to FI in the next year or so. DH will probably work for a couple more years, but I am looking at really slowing down in the next 12 months and could be RE next spring. We shall see what happens...if the market takes a serious downturn meanwhile, I may hang in another year...It's definitely tough to contemplate giving up the guaranteed paycheck as I get closer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's see:
1) All baseline expenses plus some fun ones fully fundable at 3% draw after another update/review of my expenses....
2) Finally just about got my portfolio the way I want it.

43 and still working....
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Old 03-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkopel View Post
This is kind of a funny milestone, but we finally reached a net worth of $0! Which is good considering it used to be -$150,000 (student loans). With the Army loan repayment program, and my husband and I getting Gazelle intense on the last of our debt, and finally putting money aside for retirement, we now have $32,000 in retirement accounts and $32,000 left of my student loan. $0 never felt so good!
When DW and I started out, we had approx. $100k in debt. Getting to $0 was a big deal. Investing the money formerly used to pay down debt was an even bigger deal. The good news is that the power of compounding really helps over time.

It took us 13 years to get from -$100k to $1mm. It took two more to get from $1mm to $2mm. (We have kept a net worth balance sheet for the last 17 years) With the stock market at record highs, we just hit a new high in our net worth.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hit a milestone recently. The dividends from my stocks in my taxable brokerage account should cover at least 1/4 of my yearly living expenses indefinitely from now on.

For about the last ten years I've been putting about half of my savings into retirement accounts and half into a brokerage account for early semi-retirement. I'm 38 and my goal is that by 45 my brokerage account investments will be able to cover 1/2 of my living expenses indefinitely.

At that point I could theoretically ESR by working part-time for half of my living expenses and subsidized health care, and use my investments to cover the rest.

It took about 10 year to hit the half way point. Hopefully I can finish the second half in only 7 years.

If I do ESR then the plan is to work part-time until I can withdraw SS, pension, and 401k/roth. At that point I could fully retire.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #85
gone traveling

A recent milestone is we locked in a refi on our mortgage at a rate of 3.5% for 30yrs. We're 31 years old, and are roughly at $400k net worth (90k of that is estimated home equity). Looking at my projection spreadsheet makes me feel pretty good lately.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think my most important milestone was when I reached, what I believed, was financial independence. I had probably met it earlier but I have a fiscally conservative outlook.

After about six months or so my attitude changed. I went from being concerned about being a victim of a downsize, with all the financial concerns that it brings, to having a much more carefree attitude. It was essentially if you want to downsize me bring it on- not that that I particularly wanted this. It was very liberating.

Fast forward a few years and I was more than ready for the downsize that came-and I discretely welcomed it. I knew what the settlement should look like and I had tentatively selectied counsel to represent me in the settlement agreement. When it came it was like winning the lottery. I lived through twenty years of downsizing, and had to do some of it myself. There is nothing like being prepared for the big chop. It can happen to anyone at any time.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #87
Gone but not forgotten

Milestones...
First time in 23 years that we've spent winter "up-north"... Just to remember what cold and snow was like.
May also be the last "tax free" year since retirement in 1989. (poverty has advantages)

Now unemployed for 24 years.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another milestone - got accepted into an MFA programme (creative writing).

Since the course starts before my official retirement, I might have some interesting scheduling issues for a few months.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Wednesday's market gain put our total investments + savings at $1.5 million - the number I had targeted years ago as our goal needed for me to consider retirement.

Of course, its not guaranteed to stay at this level with this market and I have no expectations... but it is a good feeling to see that number, if only for a day.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #90
gone traveling

Hit $3M net worth earlier this year. Age 43. DW 45.

Kids still in school, so next milestone is getting them out of HS and into college.

No FIRE date yet, but most likely soon....do i wait til kids are out of hs, out of college, or somewhere in between who knows.

Knowing we could safely FIRE today.... priceless.
Seeing kids thrive and develop....priceless
Being in reasonable health.... more than priceless.

Cash Account: 1750K
Deferred Income: 425K
401K/IRA 625K
House 200K

TOTAL 3000K

Debt NONE
Small Milestone
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #91
Dryer sheet wannabe

Small Milestone

Reached $400,000 in 401K accounts. Age 36 - continuing to stash $$ away in tax deferred accounts at a rate of $40,000/yr until FIRE at around 59.5.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #92
Dryer sheet aficionado

I remember about 4 years ago telling my boss I had reached financial independence. He said nothing, just staring at me. I tried to explain what FI was. I don't think he ever looked at the future that way, as a plan. Or work as a means to an end.

Happy to report that there is more in the bank now than when I retired. Woopee!! (class of 2010)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfox1 View Post

It took us 13 years to get from -$100k to $1mm. It took two more to get from $1mm to $2mm. (We have kept a net worth balance sheet for the last 17 years) With the stock market at record highs, we just hit a new high in our net worth.
Wow, the jump from 1M to 2M is certainly encouraging!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

In the last several months, I hit several milestones - the value of my 401k rolled from 6 figures to 7 figures ; my employer offered me an incentive to retire early, which I accepted ; and I paid off the mortgage on the house .
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Hit another milestone yesterday. I hit the $800k mark in my taxable accounts. I first hit the $700k mark in 2010 so it took a while to advance another $100k.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would like to know how you jumped from 1MM to 2MM in two years. Whatever you did, I'd like to do. . .
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 42. Start saving in 1998 when we're married. It took 6 years to reach $100k mark. With diligent LBYM and some luck of not making big mistake, this month, our net worth hit a BIG milestone $1M. Although, most of it is equity of primary resident and a rental. I'm pretty humble with with this achievement. Looking back 20 yrs ago, both DW and I came to this country with no English and about $20 in our pocket.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

As of late last week we crossed $750k in retirement/cash accounts for the first time. I'm sure we'll end up a bit below that after today's stock sell-off.

Anyway, $750k is significant for us because it's 1/2 what we think we'll need for ESR. With any luck our contributions + market appreciation will get us to $1.5M in about 7-8 years, just as we finish paying off the mortgage.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Celebrate a new milestone on your journey to FIRE with us! Did you just pay off your mortgage, reach financial independence, or pass a nice round number on your way to FI? Tell us of your accomplishments here!
After a market down day like today, I will be revisiting some old milestones.
I hate when that happens.. The curse of Beta ;-)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I would like to know how you jumped from 1MM to 2MM in two years. Whatever you did, I'd like to do. . .
There's no real magic. Save aggressively, invest for the long term and get a little lucky. Two good years for the markets coincided with my two best earning years.
Closed Thread