Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of personal milestones lately. Looks like 2013 was made for FIRE:

January 2013: DW gets a new ministry gig in a much more stable situation than where we were before, including a decent raise, housing and paid utilities. This gets me to planning my corporate exit in earnest.

February 2013: Quicken tells me that our net worth exceeds $1M.

April 2013: I get RIFfed, run the numbers, go through FIRECalc and realize we're probably going to be OK.

And today is Tuesday, and for all I know it might as well be Saturday.

Congrats Spanky - some assumptions here... with 2% SWR, enjoy the severance and unemployment for a bit, that should give you time to figure out another job or RE.
Thanks. That's my thought also. Enjoy the 5 months of severance and possibly one year of unemployment.

@Spanky
Might be a blessing in disguise.
Take your time to decide which path to take.

Hi Chris,
It might be. I am in NO hurry in landing another position as DW will still be working to receive health care coverage for both of us.

Thanks. That's my thought also. Enjoy the 5 months of severance and possibly one year of unemployment.

After the overnight snowfall, we had 6" by me, taking the next 5 months off, May - Sept is ideal. Summer in the Twin Cities is the best IMHO, enjoy the lakes and free time, truly a blessing.

My contract assignment is scheduled to end June 30 and I was very hopeful to take the summer off, but new leadership just started and discussions of converting contractors to FTE is on tap. :( I will have to learn how to say No on an assignment extension and FTE.

Last edited:
Smaller but important milestone: DW and I agreed on the withdrawal plan and on dates and times for withdrawing particular funds. This is based upon previously agreed upon retirement dates. These dates are pushed out a few years from our original ER plan so we can go on some expensive vacations while we still have work income. But no lackadaisical OMY syndrome here, we have a plan.

Of course, all bets are off if that bird flu in China really is being transmitted from person to person CDC Races to Create a Vaccine for China's Latest Bird Flu Strain - Businessweek

Two big ones recently:
-Actually took retirement last August. Was planning for ER, crossed the 55yo threshold for the company pension plan, then went down with a stroke a few months later. While out on paid sick leave, I found out my job would be outsourced this year so PSL ran out and I went ahead and retired.
-Paid off the mortgage last month. I had tentatively planned for this event to be the trigger for ER, but ended up taking it a little early.

Spanky, go ahead and take your time. You'll probably start to enjoy this phase.

Spanky, go ahead and take your time. You'll probably start to enjoy this phase.
Thanks. I just have to change my mindset that we already have enough to retire and now it is time to start enjoy life.

May - Sept is ideal. Summer in the Twin Cities is the best IMHO, enjoy the lakes and free time, truly a blessing.
Yea - we have such a chilly and snowy spring this year. I can't wait to spend more time outdoor as the weather gets warmer.

Its hard to adapt to retirement after being frugal all those years to get there. Breaking the careful spending habit is a tough one.

Thanks. I just have to change my mindset that we already have enough to retire and now it is time to start enjoy life.

Yea - we have such a chilly and snowy spring this year. I can't wait to spend more time outdoor as the weather gets warmer.

70's this weekend!! Can't wait for ice out on Tonka

I am already FIRE'd, but reached a couple of great milestones now that I am almost at my 65th birthday (June 8th).

1. I have my Medicare card for Parts A&B! Don't know if this is good or bad, but I'll find out after it becomes valid on June 1st.

2. My property tax assessment is now officially frozen! In Louisiana, if you are 65, live in the home, and your 2012 federal AGI was less than $69,463, you can do this. So now, the only way my property tax can rise from last year's $956 is if the millage rate rises.

:dance::dance:

Celebrate a new milestone on your journey to FIRE with us! Did you just pay off your mortgage, reach financial independence, or pass a nice round number on your way to FI? Tell us of your accomplishments here!

NW = lifetime W2 earnings. Thanks to; time, compound interest, & LBYM's

Net Worth finally hit 500k. 31 years old, married, with wife just finishing up ridiculously expensive 3 year doctoral program. Will be so thankful when she starts working.

I have a milestone coming up. I retired from the army on may first 1993. Those 20 years seem to have gone by faster than the 21 years I was in the army.

Broke the $2M barrier today!

Finally broke through the $2M barrier in savings and investments today. Who knows where the market will go tomorrow, so time to celebrate while we can. (Net worth up to $2.843M).

New milestone

Hi all, I hit a big milestone yesterday. Wife and I are 30 years old. Hit $125,000 in investment accounts yesterday. Pretty pleased with our successes. I look up to many of you as my role models on here. Great forum! I hope to also get a 20 year retirement from the military in 13 years as a LTC.

I became a multi-millionaire this last week. 2.06M!! Never thought I would ever say I had more than a million much less a couple million. LBYM was the key. Now to enjoy the fruits of that.

New milestone this weekend as cash & stock investments topped $2,300,000 for the the first time...40 years old, no mortgage and no debt of any kind.

Congrats to the couple others above me here that recently became "multi!" Good work!

What a fascinating metric. DW and I are FI but, have not yet achieved NW = lifetime W2 earnings.

Congrats ToolMan on achieving an impressive milestone!

We're 54, 52 and just passed $1.25M invest, $1.75M Net, less than two years to go to meet our FI/RE income goals. Wish we would have found a site like this 15 years ago!
Congrats to you younger folks that have the focus to do so, I don't need to tell you; but when you're 50+ and working, you'll be very glad you did. The options you'll have will be almost endless.........:LOL:

1) bought 3 rental houses so far this year for cash & have offers on 3 more.
2) net worth is now well north of 3m, hopefully will be 3.5 by 2014.
3) by my calculations i should be good to fire in 3.5 years!

My portforlio reached 2.53M. My paid off house is worth 470K per Zillow. That makes a nice round number of 3M for us.

With the recent dividend increases from XOM, CVX, JNJ and PEP we went over $70,000 per year in dividends. :dance: Always nice to get a raise!

Thanks for sharing. I never thought about it this way, so I checked.

My NW exceeded lifetime W2 earnings in late 2011 which I never knew or thought about. Thanks to: time, compound interest, investment real estate (does not include personal residence) & LBYM.
:dance:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom