Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #1341
Recycles dryer sheets

Been in the two comma club for awhile, but as of this month the 1 rolled over to a 2!

Not a big $$$ increase from last month, but just like driving the car down the road and seeing a rollover and new zeros it feels like a big milestone.

Shared it with DW (who is already retired), who is normally not all that engaged on the finance side. After all, she and the forum are the only places I can share it! She is more or less waiting for me to be done so we can move on to the next phase which will include an as yet to be determined location (the health care piece of the puzzle is the biggest unknown for me, like many others). Given that the net worth number mentioned above represents only investments, no house, pensions or SS, a simple PV calc adding income streams assuming both of us living to 85 yields more, little over double that.

Her response was quick and simple... What are we doing here? Let's get the he!! out of here!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #1342
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice job oldphd! I think your DW is spot on. :-)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #1343
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got my first pension check directed deposited on the 1st!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #1344
Full time employment: Posting here.

With the recent market run-up, we just crossed the $1.3M mark in investable assets. NW is a bit over $2M. I expect we'll cross both of those thresholds again a few times as the market inevitably cools off. Still, always nice to see those significant digits roll over!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #1345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hit the $1 Million mark for Networth, and about $700K in liquid assets.
Hoping to hit $800K liquid assets by Jan. 1st, 2018.
We don't have kids and mostly cook at home, so hopefully we are able to save faster for the next 4-5 years for an early retirement.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #1346
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday, I passed all necessary AND sufficient conditions to pull the plug this year:

3.3M (3.309M as of yesterday)
Retirement house paid off (Need to net 290K from current house and about to go on market for 340K)
35 years SS at max

Now if I could just stop booking expensive vacations; have about $130K in payments due for vacations through 01/19 (around 80K already paid/deposited on top of that). Hope to make a great dent in that by retirement on 20 October 2017, just shy of my 60th birthday.

Horace
Old 02-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #1347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Now if I could just stop booking expensive vacations; have about $130K in payments due for vacations through 01/19 (around 80K already paid/deposited on top of that). Hope to make a great dent in that by retirement on 20 October 2017, just shy of my 60th birthday.
Wow! What kind of vacations do you take? Where are you going to go? Is this all guided tours?
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #1348
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Wow! What kind of vacations do you take? Where are you going to go? Is this all guided tours?
Almost all cruises:

Miami to Venice (24 nights) next month

Svalbard to Greenland to Iceland (14 nights) in August

Rome to Beijing (63 nights) in October (retirement trip)

Lima to Buenos Aires (21 nights + Machu Pichu) Jan 18

Nome to Nome (Siberia and Arctic Islands) (19 nights) jul 18

New Zealand and Oz land trip including 36 Night cruise around Oz Dec 18

Lots of things getting taken off bucket list.

Marc

Horace
Old 02-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #1349
Recycles dryer sheets

We added another 0 to our NW yesterday. Last day in the office is May 5, booked a baja offroad racing school and a corvette track day over the first 2 weeks of retirement. Then a fun summer vacationing with my family.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #1350

Quote:
Almost all cruises:

Miami to Venice (24 nights) next month

Svalbard to Greenland to Iceland (14 nights) in August

Rome to Beijing (63 nights) in October (retirement trip)

Lima to Buenos Aires (21 nights + Machu Pichu) Jan 18

Nome to Nome (Siberia and Arctic Islands) (19 nights) jul 18

New Zealand and Oz land trip including 36 Night cruise around Oz Dec 18

Lots of things getting taken off bucket list.

Marc
Awesome!

Looks like lots of wonderful days to seize...and some outstanding 'tomorrows' as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #1351

Quote:
Yesterday, I passed all necessary AND sufficient conditions to pull the plug this year:

3.3M (3.309M as of yesterday)
Retirement house paid off (Need to net 290K from current house and about to go on market for 340K)
35 years SS at max

Wow- congrats to you. Sounds like the trip(s) of a lifetime- enjoy them!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #1352
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
We added another 0 to our NW yesterday. Last day in the office is May 5, booked a baja offroad racing school and a corvette track day over the first 2 weeks of retirement. Then a fun summer vacationing with my family.

Awesome! I might have to add those 2 driving adventures to my FIRE bucket list.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #1353
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just hit half of our targeted investments for pulling the rip cord last month. My planned retirement is late 2027. It won't be that early by this board's standards, but given the late start we had and our desire to have a budget higher than most, I am happy with it.

There is certainly a chance we could double our assets in less than ten years. We have three more years of college for our twins to take care of and then our savings rate should really kick to an extreme level.

I've always wondered if I am unusual, because I have multiple retirement dates in mind. I am retiring late 2027 unless a major catastrophe in the market hits from which we have not seen substantial recovery. However, if we hit our number, I would like to retire no matter what age I am. Finally, after almost twenty years with my current employer if something were to happen any time after my kids finish college I would likely not bother to get another job and just do temporary work from time to time or live on what we have and adjust spending expectations. Am I the only one that has multiple dates/alternatives like this in mind?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #1354
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Tell a bit more about the Baja racing school!!
Sounds like a great gift to yourself.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #1355
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So you added another zero and now $10MM net worth ? If so, WOW!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #1356
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
Tell a bit more about the Baja racing school!!
Sounds like a great gift to yourself.
Ford puts on a free Baja school in Utah for Raptor owners. I am going with one of my buddies. It will be a blast learning the capabilities of the new Raptor, versus hammering your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
So you added another zero and now $10MM net worth ? If so, WOW!
It was a goal that I set many years ago and one of the reasons I had a couple bouts with OMY. I enjoy my company, boss and the team we built. We had a ton of strategic projects lining up and I wanted there to be a smooth transition. It was a gamble to give such a long notice, but I am glad I did. I feel like I am retiring at the top of my game and on my terms. They are finalizing the communication plan and I expect them to go public in early March. In the meantime, I will continue to work my tail off. I have been very fortunate in my career and very focused on saving/investing for an early retirement. It's pretty cool to see your plans come together.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanctr88 View Post
We just hit half of our targeted investments for pulling the rip cord last month. My planned retirement is late 2027. It won't be that early by this board's standards, but given the late start we had and our desire to have a budget higher than most, I am happy with it.

There is certainly a chance we could double our assets in less than ten years. We have three more years of college for our twins to take care of and then our savings rate should really kick to an extreme level.

I've always wondered if I am unusual, because I have multiple retirement dates in mind. I am retiring late 2027 unless a major catastrophe in the market hits from which we have not seen substantial recovery. However, if we hit our number, I would like to retire no matter what age I am. Finally, after almost twenty years with my current employer if something were to happen any time after my kids finish college I would likely not bother to get another job and just do temporary work from time to time or live on what we have and adjust spending expectations. Am I the only one that has multiple dates/alternatives like this in mind?
2024 is my planned retirement year assuming I don't manage to save more than planned and the markets don't perform better than I have planned for. This is what my budget and growth assumptions are planned for.

~2022 is my "I hope to be able to save enough/have enough growth" to be able to retire here. This is the "I put my overtime money to work in my investments" and/or "the market does quite well" plan. The 2022 is a goal that I'd be happy to beat though

2031 is my "wow, I can't believe I quit my job and switched to a lower paying career so I couldn't save as much, but at least I got rid of all the stress/headaches from my career and had more free-time while I was still working" plan. With current savings combined with my VA pay, this would be the earliest I could retire if I had to stop putting away most of what I save now and the markets had any reasonable rate of return between now and then

So you're not the only one with multiple "exit the workforce" plans.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #1358
gone traveling

Just started receiving the most pitiful pension on this board: $500/mo, non-cola! Luckily we've socked away 2.5M with house at 1.0M. And max allowed SS at 70. I'm 60, DW is 64. FIRE is about to be kindled. (I'm anxious)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #1359
Recycles dryer sheets

No milestone per se to post about, but just feeling good about how fast my NW is increasing due to the market gains (and dividends) lately.

$409k age 27. Currently saving about $15k per year. It is truly amazing how much the compounding can take off when the market is hot. My conservative estimates don't have me being in the 2 comma ($1m) club (in today's dollars) until age 40 but I am hoping it is more like 35!

Breakdown:

Taxable Brokerage: $216k
Roth IRA: $83k
Roth 401k: $37k
Cash Savings: $27k
HSA: $6k
Home Equity: $40k (conservative)
Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
No milestone per se to post about, but just feeling good about how fast my NW is increasing due to the market gains (and dividends) lately.

$409k age 27. Currently saving about $15k per year. It is truly amazing how much the compounding can take off when the market is hot. My conservative estimates don't have me being in the 2 comma ($1m) club (in today's dollars) until age 40 but I am hoping it is more like 35!

Breakdown:

Taxable Brokerage: $216k

Roth IRA: $83k

Roth 401k: $37k

Cash Savings: $27k

HSA: $6k

Home Equity: $40k (conservative)

Outstanding @ your age!

Surprised by the heavy weighting in taxable.
Closed Thread