Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM   #1381
Recycles dryer sheets

Over $850k NW (600k-ish investable) Nine hundred, here I come. Don't look all smug over there 1M, you're next.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #1382
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithAPurpose View Post
With the runup in the markets, I crossed $1 million in investable assets today. I know the market giveth and the market can taketh away, but it's nice to see that new digit

Thanks to this community where I can share this feat and gather some wise perspective on it.
Not just an extra digit, but an extra comma!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #1383
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FINALLY! HOLY CRAP that was painful. 1 yr. 7 months of slogging away at my desk job and I'm finally vested in my pension plan. FINALLY...

I'm not seeing the screenshot. Anyone else?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
FINALLY! HOLY CRAP that was painful. 1 yr. 7 months of slogging away at my desk job and I'm finally vested in my pension plan. FINALLY...

Nope. I don't think the board supports image files that don't have an image extension (i.e. .jpg etc). As such, you can't share google photos as images. You can share them as regular URL links however (but then people have to click through to see it still).

https://goo.gl/photos/bDpPRnJF3zEcAmhEA

Congrats though!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #1385
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post

No, it doesn't show up inline in your post. I was able to copy the image link to a new browser and view it, though. Weird...

Anyway, congrats on the vesting!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #1386
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
I am 47, original plans was to be FIRE at 55(2025) but will be able to cut it short at 50(2020) and gave the owner 3 years notice yesterday
3 years notice?!? That is still very generous. I hit 50 this year and gave what I thought was a pretty generous 2 months notice a few weeks ago. I did agree (under a bit of duress) to do 1 additional month part time, but still that is three months, not three years. You are very conscientious!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
3 years notice?!? That is still very generous. I hit 50 this year and gave what I thought was a pretty generous 2 months notice a few weeks ago. I did agree (under a bit of duress) to do 1 additional month part time, but still that is three months, not three years. You are very conscientious!
All depends on the job and the market in which replacement is being sought. Someone like forum-member Danmar rightfully gives much more notice than most (And ViperTom may well be in such a category.) Others have reported that giving notice = being ushered to the door by security, so it all depends.

In our case, DW gave email notice to partners confirming prior discussions around 30 months before her July 2017 date. But, small private-practice OBG group with practice based outside of university setting. Getting her replacement took a bit; could have gotten lucky (in which case she'd have quit earlier than noticed), but knew the hiring cycle for those coming out of residency. (I gave just a bit less than 2 years when I found out that our small/tiny firm was looking to hire a new person--thought it best to alert of the gap that would be coming up....)

E.T.A.--congrats on the impending retirement!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #1388
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally retired on Friday

Well Friday was my last day of work, ever!

Here's my experience so far.

I slept better last night than I have for a long time. I usually wake up 2 or 3 times and check my email to make sure there are no ongoing disasters.

When I woke up this morning and yesterday morning, I instinctively reached for my phone as I do every morning, only to realize I deleted my profile on Friday. So, any issues are now somebody else's problem.

Because of the nature of the job I usually worked a few hours on Saturday morning and all of Sunday evening. This was the first weekend off in a long time. I think since our vacation last June.

All day long today I've had those momentary twinges of foreboding that it's Sunday today which means it's Monday tomorrow, only to immediately realize that doesn't matter anymore.

I didn't have to rush around all weekend getting errands done. I can do them at my leisure tomorrow. Come to think of it what does weekend mean now? I'm assuming it's just the days when everywhere is crowded.

Th original plan was to leave at the end of December. That got changed to February 3rd and Finally March 3rd. In retrospect, I should have left at the end of December. The extra money was nice but counting down the days for the last two months has been a slow kind of torture.

So far so good.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #1389
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameRedacted View Post

I slept better last night than I have for a long time. I usually wake up 2 or 3 times and check my email to make sure there are no ongoing disasters.

When I woke up this morning and yesterday morning, I instinctively reached for my phone as I do every morning, only to realize I deleted my profile on Friday. So, any issues are now somebody else's problem.

Because of the nature of the job I usually worked a few hours on Saturday morning and all of Sunday evening. This was the first weekend off in a long time. I think since our vacation last June.

All day long today I've had those momentary twinges of foreboding that it's Sunday today which means it's Monday tomorrow, only to immediately realize that doesn't matter anymore.

I didn't have to rush around all weekend getting errands done. I can do them at my leisure tomorrow. Come to think of it what does weekend mean now? I'm assuming it's just the days when everywhere is crowded.

Th original plan was to leave at the end of December. That got changed to February 3rd and Finally March 3rd. In retrospect, I should have left at the end of December. The extra money was nice but counting down the days for the last two months has been a slow kind of torture.

So far so good.

Nice, congrats
Old 03-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #1390

Congrats, I still love Sunday evenings and the quiet of Monday morning when everyone goes off to work.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #1391

Quote:

So far so good.
Wow. That was a tough job! I think you will like your new routine much better!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #1392

Quote:

I slept better last night than I have for a long time.
Congrats to you!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #1393
Recycles dryer sheets

crossed the half mil. mark back in Oct, I was pleasantly surprised and kicking myself in the butt at the same time. It took me 14 years to get there, felt like forever. Looking back I should have been more aggressive in my investments (mostly target funds.) Even if I had just invested a small portion in my megacorp's stock, I'd have been $80k to $100k closer to $1 mil mark.

oh well, hindsight is always 20/20. been moving some funds to qqq and vigrx.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #1394
gone traveling

It is equities only and generates about 8k of dividens/month.

We are still working and adding to it.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #1395
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by namesbond View Post
I just turned 30 years old and have saved $133,000.00 with only a small car loan $7,000 left on a $15,000.00 car at 2.75% and small mortgage $64,000.00 left on a $120,000.00 condo at 3.375% for debt. Making just under $50,000.00 a year this puts me at 2.66 times my salary at a very young age. I've been maintaining a savings rate around 40%.
Congratulations! You remind me of my son. He is 4 years younger, and should be close to your savings amount at your age. He has only $20K in debt but he's just bought a house so that's about to change dramatically. I envy people at your age that "get it" - I was at least 10 years older than you before I did.

I expect you'll be retiring early, best of luck to you!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #1396

I envy young savers as well. I was at $107,000 net worth when I was 30 but I was earning close to $90,000/year so 1.2x salary savings ratio which wasn't that great. Now saving ratio is 6x salary at 42. And savings rate is approaching 60-65% of salary.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #1397
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
I envy young savers as well. I was at $107,000 net worth when I was 30 but I was earning close to $90,000/year so 1.2x salary savings ratio which wasn't that great. Now saving ratio is 6x salary at 42. And savings rate is approaching 60-65% of salary.
Savings rate 60-65% of salary?!? That ROCKS. Nice job!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #1398

Quote:
Yes, but 60-65% of net income.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #1399

Quote:
+1

Well on your way to being a PAW!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #1400
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Color me impressed, too. I pierced the 60% savings rate twice in my working years, but that was due to some very strong years of investment income which got reinvested and therefore counted (for me) as part of my savings rate. I was usually in the 35%-55% range for most of my working years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Closed Thread