Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #861
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
DW, Fur Child, and I relocated to the Bay Area as planned. After lots of planning and preparation, and running from bad weather the past few weeks, we are finally here.

Attachment 21216

Now it's just a matter of unpacking all the boxes, figuring out where to put everything, then remembering where we put it.

We are very excited to be here back though; been gone ~17 yrs and will now be able to spend lots more time with some close friends, exploring old haunts, and finding new ones.
Welcome to the area, and congratulations on the successful move!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
We are very excited to be here back though; been gone ~17 yrs and will now be able to spend lots more time with some close friends, exploring old haunts, and finding new ones.
Welcome back!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #863
Confused about dryer sheets

Made it to Vanguard Voyager Select status, I had to call them though before I slipped back Hopefully the Flagship status will be attained much more quickly!!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #864

Finished grad school at 27 with 70k in debt, 1child, and 2 to follow in next three years. Self-made. Put self through undergrad and graduate school. Those early years were tough. Didn't purchase first home until I was 35, scraped by for the first three years deciding whether to pay electricity or water late. Spouse is a social worker, some years her car and costs outstripped her take home. Fast forward to today, am 51, and just made last college payment for youngest child (all three went to private schools, no loans). Primary home mortgage paid in full. City investment condo purchased new at bottom of market in 2009 is 75% paid off and has appreciated 55% in 5.5 years. Net worth (excluding real estate) just hit $3.5M today. Goal is to hit $5M (excluding real estate) in 3 years. Excited about the future. Not in a finance profession at all but a wise person told me when I was 15 two things that stuck: 1) it isn't how much you earn, it's how much you save; and (2) the way to security (and eventually, wealth) is by making your money earn money. Both easier said than done.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #865
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909294 View Post
Finished grad school at 27 with 70k in debt, 1child, and 2 to follow in next three years. Self-made. Put self through undergrad and graduate school. Those early years were tough. Didn't purchase first home until I was 35, scraped by for the first three years deciding whether to pay electricity or water late. Spouse is a social worker, some years her car and costs outstripped her take home. Fast forward to today, am 51, and just made last college payment for youngest child (all three went to private schools, no loans). Primary home mortgage paid in full. City investment condo purchased new at bottom of market in 2009 is 75% paid off and has appreciated 55% in 5.5 years. Net worth (excluding real estate) just hit $3.5M today. Goal is to hit $5M (excluding real estate) in 3 years. Excited about the future. Not in a finance profession at all but a wise person told me when I was 15 two things that stuck: 1) it isn't how much you earn, it's how much you save; and (2) the way to security (and eventually, wealth) is by making your money earn money. Both easier said than done.
Very nice. We are similar even to the kids' educations, but have had two highpaying professions for about half of our marriage. Impressive for you to do it with one social worker salary.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #866

I always tell my spouse I'm earning for this lifetime but she's earning for the next one...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
Made it to Vanguard Voyager Select status, I had to call them though before I slipped back Hopefully the Flagship status will be attained much more quickly!!
Agni, What's Voyager Select status and Flagship status? I know it's something to do with Vanguard.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Agni, What's Voyager Select status and Flagship status? I know it's something to do with Vanguard.
Select: 500K with Vanguard. Flagship 1,000,000. Get some benefits/perquisites. https://investor.vanguard.com/what-w...elect-services
Old 03-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #869
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909294 View Post
Congrats! Mind if I ask what you did/what field?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Congrats! Mind if I ask what you did/what field?
Lotto, drugs?

Seriously, going from debts to 3.5M+ in approx 15 years is nothing short of amazing! congrats 909294!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #871
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbison View Post
Frequent visitor to this thread, first time poster. Very motivating albeit sometimes not, as we have a long ways to go.

Hit 250k in retirement assets(tax adjusting the roth) and 50% equity in our home

NW is 330k and I hope to hit 400k by my 30th birthday in March
Made 400k net worth 11 days before my goal of 30 years old.

Hopefully I won't have to hit the same goal again! Next stop, half a million.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbison View Post
Made 400k net worth 11 days before my goal of 30 years old.

Hopefully I won't have to hit the same goal again! Next stop, half a million.
You're a hop, skip, and a jump away. Congratulations!

A hundred grand !!1!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:38 AM   #873
Recycles dryer sheets

A hundred grand !!1!

Got my March salary today. With that I'm now back over 100,000€ in investments, after taking out 50,000 as a down payment on our house 26 months ago.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #874
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Lotto, drugs?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #875
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
We have almost identical history of invested assets:

Today $2,500,000 100% in equities all my life
$ 450,000 primary residence no mortgage
$ 100,000 vacation house no mortgage

Current ages 44 and 48.
We plan to work 7 more years.
Year and half later (No trading in last year and half just adding to existing ETFs):

3,250,000 Almost 100% equities starting to build CD Ladder
550,000 Primary Residence
100,000 Vacation house

Current ages 46 and 50
We plan to work 5 more years
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
We plan to work 5 more years

Why? If you don't mind saying. Serious question. I'm interested in why you think your stash needs to be bigger. Congrats on your great success so far. My stash is similar although I'm 53. And I'm still working but thinking hard....

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #877
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Why? If you don't mind saying. Serious question. I'm interested in why you think your stash needs to be bigger. Congrats on your great success so far. My stash is similar although I'm 53. And I'm still working but thinking hard....

Muir

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I always planned to work till exactly 55.

Once retired we want to spend much more time in Europe (location of our vacation house). If I retired today I could not do that because my daughter needs 4 more years of high school.

We are kinda tied to our town with great school system until she is goes to college. So since I am tied and do not have freedom to move I may as well continue working.

Once she is done with high school we are outa here Expensive Massachusetts town with great school system and terrible taxes.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #878
Recycles dryer sheets

As of market close today, I have breached the two comma club by all of $117.

The first, I'm sure, of many a trip back and forth across that boundary as bills get paid and the market fluctuates, but it still brings just a hint of a grin when I see the numbers on the spreadsheet.

Seeing the numbers is both somewhat surreal and anticlimactic at the same time as providing a brief moment of gratification from fruition of hard work and time.

There's just no visceral feel of holding anything solid in one's hands and I am also not FI. The somewhat contrary feelings aren't too surprising on any account, I suppose, but it certainly would have been nice for this to have been more of a definitive event.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #879
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just surpassed 200k today! DW and I had a late start (me-31, DW-30) but we've come a long way since we first got married 4 1/2 years ago being about 60k in debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #880
Recycles dryer sheets

great progress Jasonjam83

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread