Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Very nice work! So, how many years till you retire?
Thanks! 3 or 4 years depending on how things go.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #222
Confused about dryer sheets

It's been a wild year. I started saving aggressively 4 years ago averaging 50K savings/year and saw my net worth dwindle from 200K down to 100K during the pandemic crash which was very disheartening and felt like giving up. Continued to grind it out and with the help of some very well timed investments it has exploded up to 800K on paper which is a whole different league for me.

I recently left a high paying but extremely energy consuming construction management job that I could no longer joylessly attend. I am taking my time during this transition, finding some new ways to make passive income as well as planning car camping through the Pacific Northwest for a month. My career network is already offering me employment again to go work for other companies but going to tune out on the missing paycheck anxiety for now.
OutdoorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:08 AM   #223
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hit 5 million on 5/7/21 in investable assets through no fault of my own. Probably crowing too soon and the correction is coming. But for now...Monday is another day.
Lazyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Wow
Old 05-09-2021, 04:31 AM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow

Hit a crazy big milestone that I never thought we would get to. Shows the power of LBYM, saving, investing and compounding. Even better that last year went from FI to FIRE. Such a shame that most of the rest of the world just does not understand this.
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was walking to w*rk this morning, it suddenly struck me that this is my last "Monday morning." I am not officially done until July 1, but I am effectively finished May 23, and I don't have anything next Monday!
Old 05-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #226
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
When I was walking to w*rk this morning, it suddenly struck me that this is my last "Monday morning." I am not officially done until July 1, but I am effectively finished May 23, and I don't have anything next Monday!
Congrats. That should be the first of many good retirement feelings coming your way.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I wonder if anyone else F.I.R.Eed where you work and/or will?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I wonder if anyone else F.I.R.Eed where you work and/or will?
Yes, I am sure that others have. Due to Covid-induced financial problems at the employer, we were offered a modest incentive package to vamoose. This pushed a number over the edge.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by targatom2019 View Post
2021, 2nd year with no W-2 income but NW went up to 9.1M all thanks to the stock market since March 2020 low and daughter starting Nurse Anesthetist school in August.
Congratulations to you and your daughter!

I have a special place in my heart for CRNA's.
Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #230
Dryer sheet aficionado

Here is my milestones (not sharing a number sorry):
- finally had a comprehensive review of my finances with a professional (fee only). Confirmed we are in pretty good shape, in part due to our frugal living and retirement goals (still involves international travel, so not that frugal)
- Decided on a Retirement date, 10 years from now. Mortgage will be paid, etc... I can probably pull the plug earlier and might, but it's good to have a date in mind
- finally got a revocable trust fully established, my kids are too young to inherit my retirement funds at once.
- got Personal Liability Insurance Plan, gotta protect those growing assets
- Switched into slightly more conservative asset allocation, capturing some of tte gains of the past 2 decades. right now I'm more worried about having less than gaining more. (but I'm still at 60/40)
- consolidated several old 401(ks), bank accounts and brokerage accounts and really decrease the annual fees significantly (all in fund fees, not adviser fees)
- did more reading/refreshing about investing, etc... I am more than ever a fan of Index funds and I think I may be turning into a 3-fund Boglehead
- started tracking my money using the Personal Capital free tools, better visibility, also helped me refine how much I should put towards retirement vs other items
- learned more about social security and decided I want to take it at age 70, that decision helps putting a retirement plan together (the first decade of my retirement will be mostly sans SS)
- switched over to using my HSA as a triple-tax free investment vehicle, should have done that years ago, but can't change that.
- discovered FirCalc, the personal Capital Retirement planning tool etc... great for playing what is games even if history doesn't repeat iitself.

so yeah, quite the milestone.
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #231
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryPie View Post
Here is my milestones (not sharing a number sorry):
- finally had a comprehensive review of my finances with a professional (fee only). Confirmed we are in pretty good shape, in part due to our frugal living and retirement goals (still involves international travel, so not that frugal)
- Decided on a Retirement date, 10 years from now. Mortgage will be paid, etc... I can probably pull the plug earlier and might, but it's good to have a date in mind
- finally got a revocable trust fully established, my kids are too young to inherit my retirement funds at once.
- got Personal Liability Insurance Plan, gotta protect those growing assets
- Switched into slightly more conservative asset allocation, capturing some of tte gains of the past 2 decades. right now I'm more worried about having less than gaining more. (but I'm still at 60/40)
- consolidated several old 401(ks), bank accounts and brokerage accounts and really decrease the annual fees significantly (all in fund fees, not adviser fees)
- did more reading/refreshing about investing, etc... I am more than ever a fan of Index funds and I think I may be turning into a 3-fund Boglehead
- started tracking my money using the Personal Capital free tools, better visibility, also helped me refine how much I should put towards retirement vs other items
- learned more about social security and decided I want to take it at age 70, that decision helps putting a retirement plan together (the first decade of my retirement will be mostly sans SS)
- switched over to using my HSA as a triple-tax free investment vehicle, should have done that years ago, but can't change that.
- discovered FirCalc, the personal Capital Retirement planning tool etc... great for playing what is games even if history doesn't repeat iitself.

so yeah, quite the milestone.
Good accomplishments which should lead you to the promised land of retirement.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

Funny story....I was updating our detailed numbers / projections today like I do every month and discovered some issues with some of our calculations. After going through everything in our file very meticulously (hours) and making some adjustments, I realized we have now reached a VERY significant milestone. We've saved 52% of our projected retirement expenses! It feels great!!!
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #233
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wow, great preparation work. Well ahead of the rest of the crowd.
Lazyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021
Old 05-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #234
Recycles dryer sheets

Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyfish View Post
Hit 5 million on 5/7/21 in investable assets through no fault of my own. Probably crowing too soon and the correction is coming. But for now...Monday is another day.

Lazy fish: Now that is impressive indeed. Congrats!
cnocmmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

New personal high. And if my calculations are correct - taking a pension into consideration - we're looking at a 1.42% WR (1.88% WR not considering the pension) to meet our pre-Covid standard of living.

Someone pinch me.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #236
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
New personal high. And if my calculations are correct - taking a pension into consideration - we're looking at a 1.42% WR (1.88% WR not considering the pension) to meet our pre-Covid standard of living.

Someone pinch me.
I will, if you make me an offer I can't refuse.
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
I will, if you make me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:18 PM   #238

Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXFIRE2034 View Post
Funny story....I was updating our detailed numbers / projections today like I do every month and discovered some issues with some of our calculations. After going through everything in our file very meticulously (hours) and making some adjustments, I realized we have now reached a VERY significant milestone. We've saved 52% of our projected retirement expenses! It feels great!!!
Old 06-05-2021, 05:12 AM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

Reached 400 grand in investments! Actually, we went on vacation for a week and came home richer than we left!

03-20-2015: 100,000
09-24-2018: 200,000
09-24-2019: 300,000
06-03-2021: 400,000
Old 06-05-2021, 05:36 AM   #240
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Reached 400 grand in investments! Actually, we went on vacation for a week and came home richer than we left!

03-20-2015: 100,000
09-24-2018: 200,000
09-24-2019: 300,000
06-03-2021: 400,000
If you noticed your investments pot roughly doubles every 3 years! We save significant portion of income as well so my overall Networth also has been doubling every 3 years for the last 15 years. You will start to see snowballing very soon but don't let the lifestyle creep happen.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote