Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

something slightly less than 40, on average. I get a little OT now and then and the rest of the time it's 40, less personal days that I take now and then too. It's a gravy gig with a company truck, and a short commute. All these things compel me to stay, and all my new friends here talk the sense back into me.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #522

2 mil net worth to start 2022 (second took 6 years)...grew 5.5 years of spending in 2021...2 grandkids to start 2022 (2nd just happened this week).

Been a good year.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
something slightly less than 40, on average. I get a little OT now and then and the rest of the time it's 40, less personal days that I take now and then too. It's a gravy gig with a company truck, and a short commute. All these things compel me to stay, and all my new friends here talk the sense back into me.
I'm getting paid for 40. Actual work maybe 10. Work from home. Have to go in maybe once every 2 weeks for about 2 hours. When I go in it is 15 miles. Making 6 fig's plus. Can't hink of a reason to stop. DW just turned 50 and loves her job. My gig interferes with nothing. Oh well. I'll stop someday.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I'm getting paid for 40. Actual work maybe 10. Work from home. Have to go in maybe once every 2 weeks for about 2 hours. When I go in it is 15 miles. Making 6 fig's plus. Can't hink of a reason to stop. DW just turned 50 and loves her job. My gig interferes with nothing. Oh well. I'll stop someday.
Most significant is the aviation aspect, which if you'll note my avatar would not be work at all.
I get dirty and wet from time to time, and actually do physical works. OTOH, anything aviation would be play.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #525
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Work from home. Have to go in maybe once every 2 weeks for about 2 hours. When I go in it is 15 miles. Making 6 fig's plus. Can't hink of a reason to stop.
I'm in pretty similar situation but work from home all the time. Employer really want everyone back to office some day. But the return time is a moving target. Last time, they said early Feb is the last call. I see a good reason to stop when return actually happens. I have a hard time to adjust myself back to office, although spent pretty much all 25 years of my corporate career there. But the last two years made a big difference.
Alex The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #526
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No reason to leave that until you're forced out. I had a similar gig about 10 years ago but they have piled on the work/responsibilities since. They pay me a lot more now so it's okay. Still not quite 40 hours and no travel but it is a lot more stressful and I have a never ending barrage of e-mails that I can't fully escape on vacations.

I'll likely need to go back to the office this spring but only for 2-3 days/week. I should hopefully be FI next year. I'm working on a 5 year plan to get my group more efficient and ready for me to RE. At that point I'll try to give up the stressful parts of my job for part-time and hopefully return to the 10 hours of week (for 32hrs of pay) and then ride it out until I'm ridden out.
anothercog is offline   Reply With Quote
2021 has been a good year for us
Old 12-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #527
Full time employment: Posting here.

2021 has been a good year for us

I just checked today and our very conservative 40/45/15 investment portfolio has just passed the $4m level at year end. Money is split approx. 50/50 pretax/after tax. It doesn't change anything, but it is a nice feeling.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #528
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is a great milestone. Congratulations!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #529
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I just checked today and our very conservative 40/45/15 investment portfolio has just passed the $4m level at year end. Money is split approx. 50/50 pretax/after tax. It doesn't change anything, but it is a nice feeling.
That's really nice feeling for sure. Less risk also helps keep nerves calm
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #530
Recycles dryer sheets

Up to 2.4M in invested assets net worth 2.9M including paid off primary residence. Not a bad way to end the year!
AreWeThereYet0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:45 AM   #531
Recycles dryer sheets

We left 2021 owing ZERO, ZILCH, ZIP to any doctor, surgeon, hospital, clinic, laboratory, etc.
First time since 1995. We were married in 1994.
The EOY balances in the intervening years ranged from several thousand $$$s to over $250K.
Doingitwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:08 AM   #532
Recycles dryer sheets

2,267,000 in investments 3,017,000 with house free and clear. What a year, feels good.
lauradrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:23 AM   #533
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the milestones everyone! Here’s hoping for a prosperous 2022!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #534

1 Million+ investments & cash. Over 1.5 Million net worth including House. But the accomplishment I'm proud of was getting my housing mortgage from $156,000 in Jan.2020 to $67,000 in Jan. 2022. The $67K is a Heloc at 2.24% and is my only debt, so I guess I need to work 1-2 more years to be completely debt free.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #535
Give me a forum ...

I always read the milestone thread. Congratulations to all of your success and wish you many more milestones.

The best way to double your money, is to fold it and put it back in your pocket.
Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021
Old 01-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #536
Give me a forum ...

Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52

Congratulations! Isn’t it a great feeling?
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #537

I'm a little disappointed, My invested portion made $300,000. But after large tuition payments for one child, a cash gift to the other and living expenses and taxes on a Roth contribution, by networth gain was only up $100,000.

We're all done with tuition, so next year should be much better, depending on what the market does,
I know, networth is up, so what am I complaining about.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:03 AM   #538
Give me a forum ...

^ You did well! When I think of all the people that couldn't even fathom a gain of 100K.

There are two numbers that are the guide sticks for me since I retired. The one number is the total portfolio at retirement time and the second number is total portfolio as the present time. If the difference is greater at the present time I grateful.

We all want more, and I'm guilty of that also, but really, we are so fortunate to be ahead in the game.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #539
Recycles dryer sheets

Comparing my status now with my status in late May of 2021 when I joined this forum (below for reference*):

Investments have increased $9,000 (on paper) since then, based on contributions and earning, mortgage debt (my only form of debt) has decreased by about $9,000 also (down to around $38K), and I have started an HSA with $3,800 in it now. My liquid cash is about the same.

Roughly, my liquid assets are the same as in May (2021), but I am finally over $100,000 in combined 401K, Roth 401K, Roth IRA, and 457B (along with a vested public pension and vested health care premiums paid until I become eligible for Medicare).

I also took some serious strides to closely track and analyze my spending over the last few years, and have found that once my mortgage is gone, my pension and potential income from investments is closer to what I am actually spending with a fairly simple but comfortable lifestyle (by my standards) than I thought it would be, which was reassuring.

Editorial: I know I have a lot I want to accomplish with this, but it was a nice milestone to meet this year since joining this forum. I have enjoyed reading the advice and experiences despite somewhat limited contributions on my part and while I can't compare my modest situation with so many others here, the advice is tremendously appreciated and has helped me make the most of where I am at this time, and make more positive steps towards meeting my own goals As this is a "New Year" thread, I wanted to put my appreciation out there!

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ns-109459.html
ModestNestEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #540

Ended the year at just about 17% gain with $1.68M invested. Re-doing Firecalc with 2022 inflation adjusted budget puts us at just under $100k away from my boyfriend finally joining me in retirement.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote