Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2022, 06:35 AM   #581
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
So much for that last part!

I put in my three week's notice this past Friday. I'm out 2/18. All done working for "the man."

At age 44, I will transition to helping my wife with the financial and business side of our business while building my gig as an endurance sports coach. Thanks to our wonderful childcare situation, I will be able to pursue my own athletic endeavors while still young enough to enjoy them, and I'll be invested in helping others do the same while taking care of our home and spending time with my 3 and 5 year old daughters.

Thanks to this forum, FIRECalc, and discipline over the course of a 22 year working career (along with the military pension and healthcare), I'm able to give up the typical job life and "find my happy".

Call it ER; call it semi-ER; call it not retired at all but kinda working from home... whatever... I'm stoked.
Congratulations- the point is doing what YOU want to do! Cheers to you doing it!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2022, 09:08 PM   #582
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by targatom2019 View Post
Daughter just started Kaiser CRNA School(Nurse Anthesis) and investment portfolio is now little over 5M.
It's been a few months....

How is the gas passer doing?
Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:49 AM   #583
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by refi View Post
Just turned 42 and hit 5M! Woot!

Only have 100 of shares of TSLA [emoji3]
Back to 5M!! woot! Hopefully, it won't be too short-lived this time
Since Nov: $5M -> $5.1M -> $4.6M -> $5M

-Equities down about $250k still
-Salary/Bonus/RE increase have offset.

Anyways, just highlighting the long game w/ diversity. Getting bogged down with the short-term volatility can be rough.
refi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:25 PM   #584

Reached $600k again from last October 2021. $617,000 was highest point. I want to see $700k before the year ends.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:43 PM   #585

Well last Friday was DW's "last day" at work... until hours later they called back and convinced her to work 20hrs a week part time for a 3 week stretch in late June. On her schedule not theirs. She agreed to do it "to be nice", the team is trying to reach a deadline and they need her help to do it. Good company, but boring, crappy work. We're still very happy, though, her call and it has nothing to do with money.

Just ramping up some reckless spending plans... lots of travel (I FIRE'ed almost 5.5 years ago) and interesting Real Estate/home options.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #586

I suppose this thread will be dry for few months until market reaches all-time high?
Old 05-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I suppose this thread will be dry for few months until market reaches all-time high?
I suspect you may be right!

I suspect that the first digit of the value of my retirement portfolio has changed. But not in the good way! So I am not going to look.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #588
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post

Not necessarily. All FIRE milestones are not just financial.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #589
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
True!
There is many milestones in life other than money. Life and good health is my milestone reaching mid 60's.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:55 PM   #590
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm waiting for inflation to turn this into a "Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2022" thread.
OnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:24 PM   #591

Quote:
True but I thought this thread was about net asset numbers? At least, that is what the majority is talking about.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #592
Give me a forum ...

I'll share a different type of FIRE milestone - this one is "educational".

Yesterday marked 10 years since I first posted on this site (Interestingly, in those ten years through yesterday I had exactly 4,400 posts, not counting the ones the mods deleted for me being a troublemaker ) . Here was my first post, a question about a Megacorp retirement offer: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...fer-61453.html

What I learned from that thread was just the start of my education from this site, which I rate among the best... simply because here no one is trying to hold anyone else back, everyone *wants* to see everyone else FIRE, and offer advice in that context.

So... cheers!
Old 05-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #593
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll share a different type of FIRE milestone - this one is "educational".

Yesterday marked 10 years since I first posted on this site (Interestingly, in those ten years through yesterday I had exactly 4,400 posts, not counting the ones the mods deleted for me being a troublemaker ) . Here was my first post, a question about a Megacorp retirement offer: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...fer-61453.html

What I learned from that thread was just the start of my education from this site, which I rate among the best... simply because here no one is trying to hold anyone else back, everyone *wants* to see everyone else FIRE, and offer advice in that context.

So... cheers!
Nice post
Old 05-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #594
Full time employment: Posting here.

My projected dividends (reinvested) exceed my military retirement, VA disability and DW's SSDI. Still can't touch any of it without a penalty since I'm a young wipper snapper but I'll let it ride.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #595

That sound when you wake up knowing you have only one mortgage (the smaller one). And that feeling when you log into you Fido account and see the proceeds of the primary home sale wired in.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #596

We are moving forward with a short plat on the property, which stands to be profitable.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #597
Dryer sheet wannabe

Crossed over the $500k mark in total contributions all time. Kinda crazy to think an annual swing in total accounts value could approach that number. Not looking like the plus side this year though...
tnbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #598

Well it finally happened. I FIRE'ed 5.5 yrs ago, DW <FINALLY> retired a couple weeks ago, and just now, I executed a transfer from my 401K at FIDO for $50k to our home bank account. Thus far, we have managed to leave our portfolio alone and pay the bills. Now this, to fund a "savings" account to plop automatic transfer bi-weekly "paychecks" into our household checking account. This will fund us for the remainder of 2022, with a generous monthly budget, and a home improvement and travel budget for the remainder of the year. Time to BTD!!!
Old 07-28-2022, 05:14 AM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Well it finally happened. I FIRE'ed 5.5 yrs ago, DW <FINALLY> retired a couple weeks ago, and just now, I executed a transfer from my 401K at FIDO for $50k to our home bank account. Thus far, we have managed to leave our portfolio alone and pay the bills. Now this, to fund a "savings" account to plop automatic transfer bi-weekly "paychecks" into our household checking account. This will fund us for the remainder of 2022, with a generous monthly budget, and a home improvement and travel budget for the remainder of the year. Time to BTD!!!
Congrats, doneat54!
Old 07-28-2022, 06:22 AM   #600
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, can’t take it with ya! ��
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote