Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refi View Post
net worth, though a majority of NW is investments.
Thanks. You have done well.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021
Old 01-21-2023, 12:34 PM   #622
Full time employment: Posting here.

Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

Little over 7 million invested at present, most of it after tax brokerage. Paid off house
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:35 PM   #623
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is there a 2022/2023 milestone thread?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
Little over 7 million invested at present, most of it after tax brokerage. Paid off house

That’s a good sized chunk-nice work
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #625

Got my first pension annuity payment from my previous Fortune500 employer today. Not a large amount, but it's for life with 50/50 J/S benefit.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:04 AM   #626

I recently turned 59.5! We know what that means...
Old 04-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #627
Recycles dryer sheets

It was earlier this year but with the 2023 social security increase, our monthly pension & SS deposit finally crept past $5000. I no longer have to think it's almost $5k
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:47 AM   #628
Recycles dryer sheets

We just sent in our last Mortgage payment.

It's the primary thing on DW's checklist before we can FIRE.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #629
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
We just sent in our last Mortgage payment.

It's the primary thing on DW's checklist before we can FIRE.
Congrats! It's definitely a major milestone and enabler
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #630
Dryer sheet wannabe

Me (37) and wife (38) hit 1.2 total NW this month.

Excluding primary residence, we are at ~920k, of which 540k is invested and the rest is in real estate (rentals)

Hope to be able to walk away from the grind by time I am 40
dukebound85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:02 PM   #631

I reached my all-time high yesterday from Oct of 2021 highs.

I am at $619k now but I am also old at 45. I know I am poor compare to other wealthy out on this forum. When do you all think I will reach $1M?
Old 06-03-2023, 08:04 PM   #632

We got within 100k of the peak of the market. in 2021/early 2022. We aren't fat fire... but I'm still way above what we had when I retired in 2014.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:52 AM   #633
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post

I am at $619k now but I am also old at 45. I know I am poor compare to other wealthy out on this forum. When do you all think I will reach $1M?
First of all congratulations! That’s quite an accomplishment to save what you have saved. Don’t downplay your accomplishments by comparing yourself to others. There’s always going to be someone that has a lot more. You’re not poor by any reasonable standards.

To answer your question it depends on how much money you are contributing each year. My guess is that with a reasonable contribution and growth rate you’ll hit the $1 million mark within 5 years or less. I did a calculation and with a rate of return of about 7% you’re going to be a millionaire in about 7 years even if you don’t contribute another dime to your portfolio.

I’d just keep doing what you’re doing. You’re obviously successful at accumulating money. You’re reaching the point where your portfolio will start to work harder than you and it’s all thanks to the power of compounding. Congrats again and good luck!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:04 AM   #634
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

the 2nd 500k comes much quicker than the first, at least it did for me. First 500k took around 9 years, reached 1m by year 13.

all time high 11/2021: $1.5m. currently at $1.4m

1m seemed so far far away and unreachable when I first started in 2007, right before the financial crisis ...
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan View Post
First of all congratulations! That’s quite an accomplishment to save what you have saved. Don’t downplay your accomplishments by comparing yourself to others. There’s always going to be someone that has a lot more. You’re not poor by any reasonable standards.

To answer your question it depends on how much money you are contributing each year. My guess is that with a reasonable contribution and growth rate you’ll hit the $1 million mark within 5 years or less. I did a calculation and with a rate of return of about 7% you’re going to be a millionaire in about 7 years even if you don’t contribute another dime to your portfolio.

I’d just keep doing what you’re doing. You’re obviously successful at accumulating money. You’re reaching the point where your portfolio will start to work harder than you and it’s all thanks to the power of compounding. Congrats again and good luck!
Max t401k = $20.5k plus 100% match 6% ($65k annual salary W-2).
Roth IRA = $6.5k
Taxable account = About ~$10k.
No RE.

My goal is to be a millionaire in my 40s. If I can do it a day before my 50th birthday then that would qualify me.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #636
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm back above previous maximum, in part because I have been contributing aggressively over the past few years.
But I'm not as close to my "number" as I used to be:

The last time I did an in-depth analysis of how much I think I want yearly in retirement, I came up with what my portfolio needs to sustain that. Not 25x because I do count on social security but I'd like to retire 8-12 years before I start SS

I've been adjusting that number upward yearly by inflation, and given the high inflation over the past couple of years, my number grew and my investment haven't caught up yet.

I was at 72% of my number in Jan 2022, I'm now only at 61%. Hopefully inflation cools off and the market continues to recover so I can make up the lost ground.
BlueberryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
the 2nd 500k comes much quicker than the first, at least it did for me. First 500k took around 9 years, reached 1m by year 13.

all time high 11/2021: $1.5m. currently at $1.4m

1m seemed so far far away and unreachable when I first started in 2007, right before the financial crisis ...
Yes, it sure does. Hoping to reach that before my 50th birthday so I can say I become a millionaire in my 40s.

Looks like you have almost recovered from 2021.

I started in 2007 too.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:40 PM   #638
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congrats on all time high and you are not that poor for your age

We started at 35 y.o. and by my 45th birthday we had NW of about $750k of which about $150k was equity in RE, so very close to your number. I remember thinking that we may never get to retire earlier with such slow accumulation speed and questioning if $3M NW number even doable at all for us. On my 46ths birthday I started my own topic on this forum - trying to solicit inputs and also track our progress, that was the best thing that I did and it was almost 8 years ago. We are still working on our number, looks like slightly behind but we do see light at the end of the tunnel and hoping to FIRE by age 56 (in about 2 years)

So keep your focus and keep going, ask questions and keep going, live your life but still keep going.
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:02 PM   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
Congrats on all time high and you are not that poor for your age

We started at 35 y.o. and by my 45th birthday we had NW of about $750k of which about $150k was equity in RE, so very close to your number. I remember thinking that we may never get to retire earlier with such slow accumulation speed and questioning if $3M NW number even doable at all for us. On my 46ths birthday I started my own topic on this forum - trying to solicit inputs and also track our progress, that was the best thing that I did and it was almost 8 years ago. We are still working on our number, looks like slightly behind but we do see light at the end of the tunnel and hoping to FIRE by age 56 (in about 2 years)

So keep your focus and keep going, ask questions and keep going, live your life but still keep going.
Thanks. First time I made $60k which was last year. This year I should hit $70k with my DoorDash business that I just started. Started at around $30k in 2007 salary which just $10k to my name. It’s been quite a journey. Discipline is key.

My goal is $2M. Then, perhaps I can log out.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #640
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. First time I made $60k which was last year. This year I should hit $70k with my DoorDash business that I just started. Started at around $30k in 2007 salary which just $10k to my name. It’s been quite a journey. Discipline is key.

My goal is $2M. Then, perhaps I can log out.
You have done well and just keep up what you are doing and will succeed in your goal.
street is offline   Reply With Quote