Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2024, 03:51 PM   #961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am 71. Retired for 13 years.

My first milestone might seem a little odd. It was while I was 53 years old.

At that age any severance (18-24 months) would have placed me over the 55 mark and entitled me to a DB pension, albeit reduced from full pension at 62.

If I did get cut I would have been deemed to have been retired at 55. My unvested stock options would have been vested w/two years to exercise.

After that it was all about savings, equity accounts etc. The usual. But 53.5 was a definite milestone. Unusual??

That was the point at which I realized that early retirement was in the cards, a reality, an attainable goal.

As it turned out I went at 58/59 with a healthly severance package. Best thing that ever happened. Had to wait 16 months for it but it was well worth waiting for. Used that time to get our affairs in order and complete some retirment plans.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2024, 04:40 PM   #962
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just hit $ 3 Mil net worth. I am 85 and DW is 80. After 12 years, 41 countries, 51 trips, 500 travel days, and 17 cruises, we are done with lengthy travels.
We moved to a seaside apartment 2 years ago, and consider it our last move.
Our expenses are about 120K, and our income is over $200K. We have been gifting our 4 sons, and paid for GD's tuition for nursing school.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:05 PM   #963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We just hit $ 3 Mil net worth. I am 85 and DW is 80. After 12 years, 41 countries, 51 trips, 500 travel days, and 17 cruises, we are done with lengthy travels.
Our expenses are about 120K, and our income is over $200K. We have been gifting our 4 sons, and paid for GD's tuition for nursing school.
What was your highest NW in history?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:17 PM   #964
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What a great journey in life!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing all those milestones.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:41 PM   #965

Wow-sounds like you’ve had a great life and are now in a position to enjoy slow life too!
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:16 PM   #966

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
That was it
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 02:53 PM   #967
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:

$3 Mil is a very respectable NW! Heh, heh, if you're like me, you've stopped thinking in terms of "30-year time line" for it to last. Time to BTD! Enjoy.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 03:36 PM   #968
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thats fantastic. My parents are in their mid-seventies and unfortunately I think they are done with international travel due to health issues. Amazing you were able to get so much travel in. This is why I want to retire before 60.
anothercog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:00 PM   #969
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just hit 2.5m Euro today. As I would like to retire either in Germany (EUR) or Switzerland (CHF), I follow our networth in both currencies.
Target wise Im at 81% (retirement in Germany) and 53% (retirement in Switzerland).
Laggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:06 PM   #970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Just hit 2.5m Euro today. As I would like to retire either in Germany (EUR) or Switzerland (CHF), I follow our networth in both currencies.
Target wise Im at 81% (retirement in Germany) and 53% (retirement in Switzerland).
What about Portugal like many Americans are?
Old 04-01-2024, 08:29 PM   #971
Recycles dryer sheets

Broke 1.5 million NW. Much to the success is alternative assets. One of these days I will need to buy a house after the wife retires from the military. I am already retired from the military. My concern, at current housing prices, it most likely take a big chunk of my NW. Oh well, need a place to live.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
Broke 1.5 million NW. Much to the success is alternative assets. One of these days I will need to buy a house after the wife retires from the military. I am already retired from the military. My concern, at current housing prices, it most likely take a big chunk of my NW. Oh well, need a place to live.
Congrats. Why not rent? $1.5M in what assets?
Old 04-01-2024, 08:43 PM   #973
Recycles dryer sheets

i guess there would be no reason not to rent, but would be nice to own my own place. Looking to buy land and get a house built. Found a great farm house plan that looks promising.

Mostly index funds in various retirement and taxable accounts. The alternative assets are in crypto.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:53 AM   #974
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
What about Portugal like many Americans are?

Good one, never visited Portugal and never thought about it. Having said that, I know Portugal is getting more and more popular for Swiss retirees.

The country is now on my vacation bucket list
Laggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:31 AM   #975
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Good one, never visited Portugal and never thought about it. Having said that, I know Portugal is getting more and more popular for Swiss retirees.

The country is now on my vacation bucket list
Having been to Portugal a few times and spent much time researching to move there, I will have to say, it's not as desirable as it once was. It fell out of the #1 spot for "most desirable " a couple years back. Reasons for this was the removal of the tax scheme, stipulation changes to Golden Visa, and the excessive increase in price of real-estate. Locals are not as fond of expats because of this. It's pricing the locals out.

Personally, I love the country. Looking to returning. Although, my desire to live there has dissipated.
Harris4crna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:12 AM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4crna View Post
i guess there would be no reason not to rent, but would be nice to own my own place. Looking to buy land and get a house built. Found a great farm house plan that looks promising.

Mostly index funds in various retirement and taxable accounts. The alternative assets are in crypto.
Well, as retired military you should have a pension and your health care paid for, so you shouldn't need to draw much, if at all, from your nest egg, depending on your retirement budget. If interest rates keep falling, though, you might want to get a mortgage if you're sure you want to buy. Your investments might outperform the interest rate.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:23 AM   #977
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Well, as retired military you should have a pension and your health care paid for, so you shouldn't need to draw much, if at all, from your nest egg, depending on your retirement budget. If interest rates keep falling, though, you might want to get a mortgage if you're sure you want to buy. Your investments might outperform the interest rate.
Yeah, the wife and will make 200k in pension income. Should not need to draw except for big purchases. We will see how it goes in a couple years when it's time to make the decision.
Harris4crna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:56 AM   #978

Well, today is a milestone of sorts, more time-related than money. Today is my 54th birthday. My current goal is to retire on my 55th. So, hopefully I can kick the OMY habit, and finally join the ranks of the retired!

It would have been cool if the stock market cooperated and gave me a new all-time high to celebrate, but that's not happening apparently, from the way things are going. Oh well, I did hit a new high on March 28. And, I closed out yesterday at $3,184,627 give or take. So, I can't complain!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:21 PM   #979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Well, today is a milestone of sorts, more time-related than money. Today is my 54th birthday. My current goal is to retire on my 55th. So, hopefully I can kick the OMY habit, and finally join the ranks of the retired!

It would have been cool if the stock market cooperated and gave me a new all-time high to celebrate, but that's not happening apparently, from the way things are going. Oh well, I did hit a new high on March 28. And, I closed out yesterday at $3,184,627 give or take. So, I can't complain!
Will you use Rule of 55?
Old 04-03-2024, 10:05 AM   #980

Quote:
Will you use Rule of 55?
Nah, I have enough in after-tax accounts, to bridge the gap between 55 and 59.5. So I won't have to touch the 401k.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote