Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #561
Recycles dryer sheets

My ROTH IRA reaches $1M.
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #562
Recycles dryer sheets

Kudos HawaiiShrimp. Congratulations to all 2021 milestone winners / posters!!
Love This Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #563
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
Cool. VTSAX for the win!!!!

Congratulations! Was the 1M in the stock market and the 1.8M include real estate?

We recently joined the 2 comma club but own no real estate which concerns me. Hoping we buy something in the next couple of years

Yes about 500k is home equity. Our home value has increased by almost $200k in 4 years. I want to use it as the final rip cord when we are in our 80s to pay for rent and/or long term care. It should be well over $1 million by then.
Blue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #564
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 58 the summer of 2019, and closed out 2021 with $2.1m in retirement assets.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:27 PM   #565
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
My ROTH IRA reaches $1M.
Does this include conversions? If not, that's remarkable growth.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:59 AM   #566
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I joined the 2nd comma club for our investments!
rwdflynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:02 AM   #567
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdflynavy View Post
Congrats. The next mil should be even quicker.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 PM   #568
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdflynavy View Post
That is great!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:44 PM   #569
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Passed through one of the million dollar milestones today.

Unfortunately, it was in the wrong direction.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Passed through one of the million dollar milestones today.

Unfortunately, it was in the wrong direction.
That just means you get to pass it again (going the right way) eventually!
Old 01-22-2022, 06:48 AM   #571
Recycles dryer sheets

For the first time in our lives we are able to invest
$1,500 per month every month. I and wife are retired and don't have ira or 401 so so this is all in taxable mutual funds mostly in Fidelity FZROX $1000 per month and Vanguard Wellesley and Vanguard Star split $250 per month in each. Age 62 in 2 months and will soon add SS to the investments which will be about 1,100 .probably $ about 900 after taxes. we likely will put an extra $500 in FZROX and put 200 each in Wellesley and Star fund.

FZROX took a beating all week long and lost some, but that dont bother us none, come 1st of every month we are still throwing $1000 at it I guess the fancy word is dollar cost averaging. Anyway might not make the 7 figure club but with steady investing and "God willing and the creek don"t rise" hopefully should at least make the 1/2 mil club.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:16 AM   #572
Give me a forum ...

ERObjd, nicely done and a that is a great milestone.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #573
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERObjd View Post
For the first time in our lives we are able to invest
$1,500 per month every month. I and wife are retired and don't have ira or 401 so so this is all in taxable mutual funds mostly in Fidelity FZROX $1000 per month and Vanguard Wellesley and Vanguard Star split $250 per month in each. Age 62 in 2 months and will soon add SS to the investments which will be about 1,100 .probably $ about 900 after taxes. we likely will put an extra $500 in FZROX and put 200 each in Wellesley and Star fund.

FZROX took a beating all week long and lost some, but that dont bother us none, come 1st of every month we are still throwing $1000 at it I guess the fancy word is dollar cost averaging. Anyway might not make the 7 figure club but with steady investing and "God willing and the creek don"t rise" hopefully should at least make the 1/2 mil club.
Please don't think I'm an expert but i wonder if delaying social security might have more value than some of the monthly savings.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #574
Recycles dryer sheets

$1M in taxable is my goal for retirement at age 50. I’m about 3/4 the way there.
The other goal is make it to age 50 & get kids into college (7 years left).
One more goal, is to lose 10 pounds (on day 2 of finally getting serious with intermittent fasting. Not setting a schedule for this goal
patela6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:47 PM   #575
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patela6 View Post
$1M in taxable is my goal for retirement at age 50. I’m about 3/4 the way there.
The other goal is make it to age 50 & get kids into college (7 years left).
One more goal, is to lose 10 pounds (on day 2 of finally getting serious with intermittent fasting. Not setting a schedule for this goal
To me the dieting goal is the most difficult. For others you can modify the behavior and perhaps battle with some old habits. Most of them will just fall in line with time(can't really make kids grow younger..) But being hungry makes me cranky and sleepy.

I now have soreness / light pain on my both hands and I am only 45. It is likely the symptoms for type 2 diabetes. Losing weight is my goal this year.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:27 AM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
This is a good one... Congratulations to you!

With the business my wife and I started (she works in it primarily while I do my contracting job) flourishing, we are at the point where I could walk away and we wouldn't have to touch our savings until she decides to shut the business down... and we could probably save money still.

At this point, I continue going to work because I can't stay home with the kids all day!
So much for that last part!

I put in my three week's notice this past Friday. I'm out 2/18. All done working for "the man."

At age 44, I will transition to helping my wife with the financial and business side of our business while building my gig as an endurance sports coach. Thanks to our wonderful childcare situation, I will be able to pursue my own athletic endeavors while still young enough to enjoy them, and I'll be invested in helping others do the same while taking care of our home and spending time with my 3 and 5 year old daughters.

Thanks to this forum, FIRECalc, and discipline over the course of a 22 year working career (along with the military pension and healthcare), I'm able to give up the typical job life and "find my happy".

Call it ER; call it semi-ER; call it not retired at all but kinda working from home... whatever... I'm stoked.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:53 AM   #577

Quote:
I put in my three week's notice this past Friday. I'm out 2/18. All done working for "the man."
Call it ER; call it semi-ER; call it not retired at all but kinda working from home... whatever... I'm stoked.
Congrats Nash! That's awesome. I should be outta here later this year, barring some unforeseen event.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:06 AM   #578
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just got notified that the pension servicing center has received my paperwork to start my pension in April. So - that does it I'm official for last day of work on March 31. Woot!!
Travis Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:26 AM   #579
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jump in. The water is fine. Congrats!
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #580

Quote:
So much for that last part!

At age 44, I will transition to helping my wife with the financial and business side of our business while building my gig as an endurance sports coach. Thanks to our wonderful childcare situation, I will be able to pursue my own athletic endeavors while still young enough to enjoy them, and I'll be invested in helping others do the same while taking care of our home and spending time with my 3 and 5 year old daughters.

Thanks to this forum, FIRECalc, and discipline over the course of a 22 year working career (along with the military pension and healthcare), I'm able to give up the typical job life and "find my happy".

Congratulations! Who cares about labels - you have a great situation of building a business around your passion... with free time and youth to pursue it.